Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 12:48   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
16.1 kmpl must be on highways, under standard test condition
As per the UK website highway mileage should be above 21 kmpl. And the combined (highway/city) near 18/19 kmpl.
HONDA JAZZ Specs : Sometimes, we have to pay to be (jazz)y in our country-jazz-fe1.jpg

Also, the 100 bhp 1.4L i-VTEC with the 6 speed i-SHIFT transmission should be fun to drive. Hope they also plan to get this here soon.
HONDA JAZZ Specs : Sometimes, we have to pay to be (jazz)y in our country-ishift1.jpg
Old 20th May 2009, 14:19   #152
BHPian

Bravo & Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I can otherwise foresee Honda wiping the floor with all the rest. In the scrum, the U-Va and Fabia will wither away, the Getz (great little car by the way) will be probably withdrawn, and only Maruti may face up to the Jazz.
Fiat Bravo is around the corner.. another luxury hatch to wait for. Bravo much more good looking than Jazz. Initially part will be imported and you can expect it to be priced exorbitantly high. Fiat has plans to completely build it out of India's facility and price will come down then. We will have some good competitor then in the good looking hatch category.

Another one to wait for is the Ford Fiesta hatch. Both these cars will create dents in other hatch sales.

Any news on Chevy Beat?
Old 20th May 2009, 14:24   #153
BHPian

honda jazz specs are spot on. no climate control, no fogs, no alloys, lolz

but must say they dont miss out on safety. i think they made it clear every honda will get abs and airbags. and honda engines are sweet!. so its safe, spacious, less noisy, peppy.

but i dont think they will offer curtain and side airbags with that. only i20 offers it. so when hyundai will come out with 1.4 ltrs engine which produces 98 bhp power. along with these features and safety offerings. i think it will be a complete package.

i would pay 7 lacs for that hyundai car. as its justified not this one. honda should price the base model for 5.8 to 6.8 lacs depending on features.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:59   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
With the wind behind the car and the engine switched off!
I couldn't stop laughing after reading this comment.
The other option is to use Motorcycle tires on car (skinny tires) to achieve the mileage and satisfy dumb heads who risk their life for mileage.I wish the government has more regulations on the safety.

Excellent scoop Sid

Come on manufacturers, stop talking about ideal driving conditions, instead use City and Highway mileage. I agree with 16km/l on highway.

I have heard from members that i20 is too slow, when it figures are 80ps @ 5200 rpm and torque is 11.4 kg-m@ 4000 rpm
When Honda comes with 90 PS@ 6,200 rpm and Torque of 110 Nm (11.2 kg-m) @ 4800 rpm
car, they talk about the engine.

In my opinion, i20 is more a city car, but should have more engine options.
Honda is betting high on its Badge for Jazz, wish it gets the iphone treatment.

Last edited by Dine : 21st May 2009 at 19:09. Reason: Add comparison with i20
Old 21st May 2009, 20:41   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
As per the UK website highway mileage should be above 21 kmpl. And the combined (highway/city) near 18/19 kmpl
IIRC this was a unique engine for India. Didn't know they already had a 1.2 version in the UK.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:26   #156
BHPian

@Mpower: that's what I've been saying all along - false Honda marketing at work!

@Dine: iPhone treatment??

Last edited by reppy : 21st May 2009 at 21:30.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:40   #157
BHPian

Uhh iphone treatment would mean every second person would have one. Atleast thats the case in Mumbai.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:46   #158
BHPian

OT - I think the iPhone sucks bad! The upcoming Palm Pre is way better.

I hope the Jazz's crazy pricing knocks some senses into the customer and he refrains, and Honda suffers - so that we get the next Honda cars at decent prices.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:31   #159
BHPian

@Dine: iPhone treatment??[/quote]

iPhone didn't make the numbers in India. Honda is not Merc, Audi or BMW to bet so high on its brand value.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:55   #160
ak_12001

Confirm. jazz is going to launch on 10th june 2009. source from insider in company. Price start from 7L.

Old 22nd May 2009, 22:20   #161
BHPian

Price start? How many models?
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:24   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
Price start? How many models?
Only one single model according to dealers.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:47   #163
BHPian

Most likely.

Jazz from 7-8.5 lacs

ANHC from 9-10.5 lacs

We have to give 1-2 lacs premium of the fare price. No options.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 23rd May 2009 at 00:48.
Old 24th May 2009, 03:09   #164
Senior - BHPian

Got a invitation from one of the dealer here for the launch on 11 JUNE.

Is there anyone here who got a call too ?
Old 24th May 2009, 17:44   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
don't call I 20 a flop.

Hyundai is not supplying more than 1,000-1200 units per month for our country and has actually exeeded sales expectations, and i feel it is not overpriced for the features and mechanicals it offers. which car OTR 6.3L will give you 6 airbags and whole lot of other small ingenious features?

the engine is not underpowered as it is written to be. An engine should not be judged from its quoted figures from paper but how well it is tuned to match the overall body profile and weight of the car.

underpowered it may be,where in our country's streets will you race the car?

i don't think its time of 0-100 kmph of 14.22 seconds makes it an underpowered car.

fabia is 1.2 litre, 3 cylinder, 69bhp. now take the call.
I second Sid here. i20 is not a flop by any means. I own one. And it has been a breeze driving this beauty for a 1000+ kms till now. The only reason you don't see many on the roads is because (as Sid said), Hyundai currently is concentrating more on exports, so pretty long waiting periods for the domestic market for this new car. But once it is in your hands, you will fall in love with it. Many of my friends and relatives who have seen/drove the car are pretty impressed with it. Yes, it is a bit highly priced, but then not for nothing is it called a premium hatch. And it being sluggish and slow, well, it is not a highway scorcher by any means, but offers a decent and refined ride. The engine is really silent. IMO, both Magna and Asta variants are great buys.
Bottomline: It is a beautiful and well refined family car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed