Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 16:46   #361
BHPian

Got a call from dealer Pinacle Honda (in Kolkata) for a preview of Jazz.

Had a look in the delaership service area. Delaer did not allow to take pictures.

Positive:

Fit and finish is top class. Plastic quality is really good. Lot of storage space around.

With big glass area, inside feels airy and spacious.

The main control panel is similar to AHNC. Stock music system was OK.

I think the magic seating is that the back seat completly folds over and givng a complete flat huge luggae spcae (for keeping a golf cart or a bi-cylce may be.) It has a option of 60:40 back seat folding.

Back seat was comfortable with the front seats fully back.

Negative:

Price: Sales person pointed the the price is expected 6.95Lakhs ex-show room Delhi. So in Kolkata, it will around 7.6 OTR (almost similar to petrol Linea E).

Engine bay be seem to be cramped , with vey little space left for handling.

No test drive. Test drive to start from 10th onwards.
Old 7th June 2009, 17:11   #362
oss
BHPian

Saw this beauty today at Sundaram Honda. The packaging is simply awesome. The car looks fantastic from outside and the inside. Thought it would look too much of a tall-boy, but the stance looking from outside is quite sleek and well proportioned. The interior packaging is simply superb.

Got to give it to Honda for the way they managed the interior space. It's very spacious inside and quite comfortable seating positions.

Boot space is quite hugh and with the magic seats, it's really amazing.

The dash looks nice and neat. No USB for the audio player; only and aux connection provision. This one one has the CD player, though. Not sure if the change is due to ANHC feedback.

Few cribs:
No driver or rear passenger handrests.
No provision for parcel tray, even if you want to fit an aftermarket one.
No remote boot opening (not sure if the key will have the controls).

Not sure how powerful the 1.2 engine will be. Got to wait for the test drive, and ofcourse to findout how much Honda wants to rip the buyers off this time
Old 8th June 2009, 01:50   #363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Not even a single member on Team BHP has so far desired his wish to get a JAZZ at 8 OTR . To whoever i told this OTR price, their reply was either get a Linea or if H badge is that important pay 1 lac more and get a ANHC with a 1.5 L engine.
Whats there in the JAZZ, even 1 department which it excels in after the straight H badge. Looks are also poor (though subjective) like a mini innova.
Am surprised at the guts of Honda to price a hatch at 8 OTR, they have created a new segment for themselves and also 1 variant car, something special.

If this car sells the Indian customers ki "JAI HO"
Well, Honda is Honda. In cars, first there is God & then there is Honda.

They can price it anything they want. And any price will still be "worth" it, some people will go to lengths to prove it & its because Honda knows psyche of such people & hence thinks it can price it anywhere, who cares about features if Honda doesn't want to give a few of them.

Well, somewhere in some thread Honda was described as safety-god or flag-bearer of safety features because it gives airbags & ABS as standard in ANHC. So, now why can't Delhi people realigned their thinking & the objective of rear fog lamps - from safety to aesthastics objective?
Old 8th June 2009, 03:07   #364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

They can price it anything they want. And any price will still be "worth" it, some people will go to lengths to prove it & its because Honda knows psyche of such people & hence thinks it can price it anywhere, who cares about features if Honda doesn't want to give a few of them.

Well, somewhere in some thread Honda was described as safety-god or flag-bearer of safety features because it gives airbags & ABS as standard in ANHC. So, now why can't Delhi people realigned their thinking & the objective of rear fog lamps - from safety to aesthastics objective?
Forgot 1 thing

With 1.2 Engine, won't Jazz eat away other "powered" or "underpowered" cars in breakfast or make them distant dots in its Rear View Mirror?

What are people saying about i20's 1.2 Engine here on the forum? Likewise, with 1.2 Engine, won't i20 also do it to other cars?
Old 8th June 2009, 07:34   #365
Senior - BHPian

I was ushered into the back of capital honda (Chennai) to check out the Jazz. It appeared to be a huge car with enough space for the whole family and luggage. the seating position appeared to be comfortable, and from what the features the sales person told us, it seems to be fully loaded already. However, the actual price will be released today is what he said.

I was a tad disappointed with the lack of the height adjustable seat, I was expecting one esp if one is paying so much for the car. Now one has to wait for the test drive to get a feel of the handling and power.
Old 8th June 2009, 09:36   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
They can price it anything they want. And any price will still be "worth" it.
Well, its just a day or two and we will get intitial TD reports from Team Bhpians. From the looks of it and members here it seems Honda has not done "kanjoosi" in interiors quality and fit and finish but things like no seat heigh adjuster in a 7 lac+ hatch makes me go

Regarding brand image, well they have earned that image through hard work earlier and now will reap benefits for years to come. If 7.5 lac + is OTR for Jazz i still think that with minimal features and not a very high performance engine Honda is pushing their luck too far.

, regarding ANHC safety features being standard. I told such people that first see the price difference between Linea base and ANHC base model and difference will be 1.5 lacs. Is honda still doing a favour to Indians by providing safety as standard? Airbags and ABS cost 1.5 lacs? Those who give such comments should use their minds and think.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:47   #367
Senior - BHPian

They do cost that much. Try crashing an airbag equipped car and replacing the popped ones + controller. The bill will make your head spin, no matter the manufacturer.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 8th June 2009 at 11:48.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:54   #368
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, the replacement of the ECU along with the sensors and airbags would definitely cost upward. The aftermarket OEM costs will make any soul faint.

Thank the automobile and technology for giving you safety features for a price, and thank GOD that you never used it in your lifetime.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:05   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
They do cost that much. Try crashing an airbag equipped car and replacing the popped ones + controller. The bill will make your head spin, no matter the manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Exactly, the replacement of the ECU along with the sensors and airbags would definitely cost upward. The aftermarket OEM costs will make any soul faint.

Thank the automobile and technology for giving you safety features for a price, and thank GOD that you never used it in your lifetime.

See in my car, Airbags were optional for a mere 35k so you mean my company is making a loss of 1 lac atleast on the airbag model
And regarding airbags being reinstalled have not seen anyone do that as even if it costs 50k very few people will do that and then who will guarantee that they will pop out again? A factory fit is factory fit only.
If for one company it costs 35k then why 100k both factory fit for another? That was just a small sum up to what Vahanpujar mentioned in last few lines and not underestimating cost of airbags. Please understand.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:05   #370
Senior - BHPian

That is why I still feel that i20 Asta with such features is very good VFM. Yes its engine is a 5-7% poorer than the Jazz/Ritz, but it is far from being undriveable.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:07   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Airbags might be very expensive but they can be replaced,what about lives of the dear ones.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:14   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not the cost of airbags, but the cost of repairs that costs bomb. Entire dashboard needs to be replaced in case of airbag deployment, which can be +1L.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:10   #373
Senior - BHPian

@RX135 - true.

@coolboy - there are a lot of logic built into the controller. While selling a car an airbag as a feature will cost way less than that of a repair later.

While I do not want to deabte on the 35k you mentioned, please also understand that the logic built into the unit makes it expensive between OEMs. While for a two unit airbags we see in almost many cars here itself can have different logics for a deployment, and usually the more checks, the more expensive it is going to be.

At the end for any layman it is a bag popping out - and by God it must pop out when needed - the more the safety logic, better peace of mind.

So please do not generalise one is 35k so this is a rip off. There is a need for airbags on the Nano which is going to be sold worldwide. That unit definitely is not going to be costing 35K. So does that mean your automobile company is ripping you at 35k?

Regarding your theory on "factory fit" - I can only guess then that all car users in the world will be throwing away their cars on any damages or running back to the factory. There are service centers for a change who does a neat job, and such kind of repairs usually will get all the attention it needs.

I rest my case. Lets continue with Jazz.

Last edited by laluks : 8th June 2009 at 14:21.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:14   #374
BHPian

Hatchback NHC

This car is basically the hatchback version of the NHC. (check out the bonnet and waist line).This is the Honda Fit else where in the globe. A friend of mine who used to work at Honda said that the Honda guys were scared stiff to launch it in India at that time because they were not convinced that it would sell at this high pricepoint. So they went the safe way and added a boot to it in places like India , Indonesia, etc. VOILA !! the New Honda City. I guess now they must have thought that the Indian Market has reached the maturity level to accept highly priced hatchbacks and launched this as the Jazz. Its like the Dzire coming first to a country, getting phased out and then the Swift getting launched in the same market, at the same price.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:22   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
This car is basically the hatchback version of the NHC. (check out the bonnet and waist line).This is the Honda Fit else where in the globe. A friend of mine who used to work at Honda said that the Honda guys were scared stiff to launch it in India at that time because they were not convinced that it would sell at this high pricepoint. So they went the safe way and added a boot to it in places like India , Indonesia, etc. VOILA !! the New Honda City.
Well, the big difference is NHC was 1.3 and this is going to be 1.2, so is Honda going to pass on excise benefits to the customer?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed