Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 14:04   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
That's pretty funny.

Unfortunately, not gonna happen. The customer has every right and choice to go buy another car if the Jazz is too expensive for him.
Very true. If the customer is indeed a sucker for honda, let him pay through his nose to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
They constitute the group of people who don't buy Honda/Toyota of course. From my experience, people buy Japanese because a) they already have owned one in the past and see no reason to change gears (pardon the pun) or b) they have been burned in the past and want to switch or c) they believe the hype (or he's a BHPian and just wants a Honda engine). Someone in the c camp almost always becomes part of a. That's how Honda keeps their prices and sales high. Should be pretty awesome to be in their sales management.
Now I don't agree with that statement of yours! Are you trying to tell us that only honda/toyota owners have a positive 5 yr ownership experience?
Going by the J.D. Power surveys, maruti has consistently outdone every other manufacturer in the satisfaction stakes.
Also, in this day and age, every car sold today is extremely reliable, and when was the last time you saw one broken down by the side of the road anyway ?

Back to topic!
Honda seems to have shot themselves in the foot this time around.
IMO, not even Honda can get the Indians out of their 'hatch is a chota car, so no need to pay big bucks' mentality.

Methinks Honda will have to rethink Jazz's positioning once the initial enthusiasm dies down, and add a lot more features to even make it on the radar of the prospective new car buyer.

Also, second hand car buyers are a shrewd lot. Surely, they value VFM more than your average new car buyer.

Wouldn't they want to get a sedan for the same price as they would have to pay to get a second hand jazz? A better loaded and more powerful one at that ? Wouldn't that push down it's resale value?

And if the top end active version doesn't have alloys(Does it ?), it would surely be the first car in the world to be tagged as sporty without having a set of those!
Old 10th June 2009, 14:05   #467
BHPian

Just captured from Honda India website.....

City : BANGALORE

Jazz : Rs. 715,000

Jazz Mode : Rs. 30,000 additional over Jazz

Jazz Active : Rs. 35,000 additional over Jazz
Old 10th June 2009, 14:07   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Variant
Price
Jazz basic
Rs.6,98,000/-
Jazz Mode
Rs.7,28,000/-
Jazz Active
Rs.7,33,000/-
(All prices ex-showroom Delhi)
This is crazy pricing. Now NHC is available for a price cheaper than the lowest end of Jazz. And, down south these prices will get even more expensive and adding salt to the injury, the 12.5% on road cost over an ex-showroom price.

I can think of only truly honda fans splurging this type of money for a hatch.

EDIT: Just saw vinay's post, so in Bangalore for a basic jazz, it will cost Rs. 7.15 L + 12.5% ( Rs.804,375)

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th June 2009 at 14:10.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:08   #469
xPK
BHPian

We might prefer to call it as a robbery, but I'm sure there will be people who will go to the thief and beg him to rob them.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:11   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Yes sir, I am kidding. With this kind of prices, anyone can loose his mind!
well, i can understand. If there was no tbhp and had i not been pre-warned - probably i would have had the shock of my life if i waltzed into a Honda showroom and asked the price of their "Hatch"
Old 10th June 2009, 14:13   #471
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore on-road prices are steepest

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
ex-Mumbai prices are the steepest:

Jazz basic
Rs.7,43,000/-
Jazz Mode
Rs.7,73,000/-
Jazz Active
Rs.7,78,000/-

Those prices are more than that of the Linea! One can get an Emotion+ at the price of Jazz basic!
I hope at least the Active variant gets goodies like ACC, alloys, fogs etc.!
Ragingbull, mumbai ex-showroom prices may look steep, but wait till you see prices for Bangalore. On-road prices are highest in Bangalore. Not certain about ex-showroom in B'lore though..

Honda is known to over price; but it remains to be seen if response for Jazz is huge and profitable for Honda.

Edit: Jazz website is now open and fully functional at http://www.hondacarindia.com/jazz/home.html.

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th June 2009 at 14:32. Reason: Adding info on Jazz' website
Old 10th June 2009, 14:16   #472
BHPian

amazing pricing - i can't wait to see the first jazz owner reviews on tbhp
Old 10th June 2009, 14:16   #473
Senior - BHPian

8 lakhs for a hatch.
If this one succeeds, the Mercedes A class and BMW 1 series should enter.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:18   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Now I don't agree with that statement of yours! Are you trying to tell us that only honda/toyota owners have a positive 5 yr ownership experience?
No. You're reading too much into my post.

Quote:
Going by the J.D. Power surveys, maruti has consistently outdone every other manufacturer in the satisfaction stakes.
You mean the same surveys which put Skoda at the top of the reliability and A.S.S tables and Toyota at the bottom, when it is plain as day to anyone remotely informed about the ground realities that the situation is exactly the opposite? Puhleaze.

MUL is good though, I agree.

Quote:
Also, in this day and age, every car sold today is extremely reliable, and when was the last time you saw one broken down by the side of the road anyway ?
Yesterday actually. Old Superb.

You know what, this will only go downhill. I'll just agree to disagree and let myself out.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:20   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Not sure, Me owning a honda currently doesn't feel so. Not worth it I would say, even for a honda fan. I'll definitely say that it's highly priced and not even go to showrooms to have a look at a hatch at 8L, Crazy.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:22   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
Just captured from Honda India website.....

City : BANGALORE

Jazz : Rs. 715,000

Jazz Mode : Rs. 30,000 additional over Jazz

Jazz Active : Rs. 35,000 additional over Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This is crazy pricing. Now NHC is available for a price cheaper than the lowest end of Jazz. And, down south these prices will get even more expensive and adding salt to the injury, the 12.5% on road cost over an ex-showroom price.

EDIT: Just saw vinay's post, so in Bangalore for a basic jazz, it will cost Rs. 7.15 L + 12.5% ( Rs.804,375)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Ragingbull, mumbai ex-showroom prices may look steep, but wait till you see prices for Bangalore. On-road prices are highest in Bangalore. Not certain about ex-showroom in B'lore though..

Honda is known to over price; but it remains to be seen if response for Jazz is huge and profitable for Honda.
Going by above, if what is outlined for Mumbai is true. It indeed would be the costliest place to buy a Jazz.

Oh boy! looking at the mumbai price, how can they even think of selling this car? except for a few handful by the true honda fans, ofcourse
Old 10th June 2009, 14:22   #477
BHPian

Coming to terms

In a few days this big hangama about the pricing will fade away and we will get back to business talking about and fondly praising another honda rip off. We will talk about the honda built like a tank build quality and how the reliability factor is all important and finally justify the cost. Honda will reach their estimated sales figures and it will be a happy ending to a sad story.

My estimate is that this 'coming-to-terms' period would be around 8~12 weeks from now.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:23   #478
BHPian

How much could Jazz be overpriced?

Some very simple thumb rule math.
Lets for the sake of the argument assume that the ANHC prices can be assumed to be accepted (just for a moment )

Since the Jazz and the ANHC share the same genes lets try to see how much is the Jazz overpriced.

For a 118 Ps ANHC with the same features that the Jazz has (or should I say the same missing features that the Jazz also misses) the prices in BLR are the following.

ANHC 118 ps - 8.5 L
Jazz 90 ps - ? (had there been a direct relation to the power to pricing)

So what should have ideally been the price = ( 90 * 8.5 ) / 118 = 6.5 L
Then since there is a discount for been < 1.2 lts and < 4 M lets say you get a 10% gain (its actually more, but just for simplicity)

10% of 6.5 = 65
meaning 6.5 - 65 = 5.85.

Now lets add a premium for the "better" interior quality and the innovative interior design principles say at 15% (just my opinion, again just to keep it simple).
15% of 5.85 L = 87.75 T
So final price = 5.85 + .8775 = 6.27 L ~ at the max to 6.5 (just to cover for the assumptions we have made initially in the math).

So IMO the ideal price (assuming that ANHC price to be acceptable and the base) would have been 6.5 L

But the diff is 7.45 - 6.5 = approx 1 L.

Why this premium? Well, its all about the branding and the premium factor that all car makes use as a tactic.

Not sure, but may be Honda does not want to rule the hatch back segment as the the Indica did when it was launched. They do not want to be seen as a mass market player, but as a class market player. If you saw too many mini honda cars owned by everybody (even you neighbor) then where is the enticement to "up scale" to a "Honda" ? If there is no "wow" factor with a Brand then how to do you sell the premium models like the Accord and the CRV.

I Think its about safe guarding that image. When you want to sell premium cars you will need to have a premium image. Like for instance would you bet a 30 Lakhs on a car say from TATA (assume they come up with one sometime). So its about the segment in the mindset where you operate.

So even if you see a Jazz now (some one who bought it at this price) what will be your opinion? Well, we would say "some guy who has enough money to burn, that he as the Jazz" and that brings the "Class" factor to the owner.

Just to let the devil in us talk, imagine if we were somehow be able to buy the Jazz (irrespective of what ever VFM) it is, what would you feel when someone saw you in the car, when you talk to someone about what you drive around in the look in their eyes ( ). (some might think you are stupid too, , but then ).

So the premium is I guess to push the owner into a league of "Jazzy car owner" may be that's the honda game!

- Harish.

May be its out, the honda web site is up with the Jazz!

- Harish

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th June 2009 at 14:30. Reason: back to back posts, thanks
Old 10th June 2009, 14:25   #479
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! so expensive! I'd prefer Fiat Bravo over it!

It looks more like the SRV in terms of features offered!
Old 10th June 2009, 14:28   #480
BHPian

Review at autocarindia
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks