Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 14:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

As per the Rules the number plates should be written in Enlish and they have specified the font size for the alphabet and numbers. But still it seems many are using local languages and different size of the fonts according to their taste and convenience. Cops are not that comfortable to question these guys fearing the eventualities.

So nothing happening and many are using this as per their will and power - then what is the remedy to control this?
Old 1st December 2009, 19:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
On the other hand, a lot of people are not familiar with the english alphabet and would be equally handicapped if they have to quickly note down the plate number.

One solution, let the alphabets be in the local script, but keep numbers only in the "1,2,3" format.
I guess on the whole many more people can read the english language when the country is taken as a whole, hence english should not be such a problem, also because english is taught in school upto at least class 10, and constables are expected to know it.

The format of numerals as recognized in the Constitution of India is Arabic, even though the language is english as well as hindi. Hence, in principle the 1,2,3 format is the correct one to use.

Unity within diversity of the yesteryears may have been a thing to be proud of, but increasingly this diversity is leading to division. The car number plates are an arm of just such a nonsensical gimmick of politicians.

The MV Act, that is a Central Government Act, is very clear. The language, the font type as well as size are clearly defined.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:41   #33
BHPian

Ive seen quite a few cars with different number plates:
1) Red Number plates on cars- what are these?
2) I've seen Blue number plates with letters i cant seem to comprehend!
3) Ive seen cars with registration numbers like : CAE 832 etc.. what kind of numbers are these? ive mostly seen it on old Ambis or Padminis..

please clear my doubts..thank you
Old 1st December 2009, 21:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anuj,

I have one answer for your three doubts. The red number plates resembles one is of Temporary Registration. 2.The ministers of Pondichery Union Territory uses the red number plates.The Bhutan vehicles use the red number plates.CAE--- I don't know and also the blue plates I don't know.If there are CC number plates then thatcar belongs to Diplomatic missions of foreign embassies in India.
Waiting for some one's answers for the other 2 doubts.
Old 1st December 2009, 21:31   #35
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1237 View Post
registration numbers like : CAE 832 etc.. what kind of numbers are these? ive mostly seen it on old Ambis or Padminis.
CAE belongs to Karnataka. This series was in vogue in 1980s before the present pattern of state-wise registration numbers were introduced.

Old 2nd December 2009, 11:59   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

vivprasad

The English language script is easier to jot down fast and is more neutral than say Hindi which would be a nightmare in South and a south local language script which would be a worse nightmare in North.

The number plates have to be readable all across India and the ONLY PRACTICAL SOLUTION is English. This is something the British have left us but it also unites us more than any other language across india (including Hindi - which would be quite unfair down south.)

The number plates in all other langauges are simply illegal and absurd ways of conveying that one hails from XYZ political background.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:46   #37
BHPian

I think this is perfectly legal to have registration number in local language. How will non english speaking/reading person identify vehicles?
Vehicle registration plates of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:57   #38
BHPian

I think one historical mistake we're guilty of perpetrating is the reference to Arabic or English numerals. The system was developed in India, but Arabs took it to the rest of the world, hence the name. But "English numerals" makes no sense whatsoever. Knowing how jingoistic we Indians can be, it may make sense to "reclaim" these Arabic numerals into the all-encompassing bosom of our Ancient Indian Culture. This might help state governments to overcome their distaste for a "foreign" system.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 2nd December 2009 at 13:59.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

In Blr, there are countless number of bikes with their number plates written in Kannada. Too difficult to note down the number and that's the reason why they do it.

It has to be illegal and it must be banned.

I have seen the same practice in Tamil Nadu also, but yet to see one vehicle in Kerala with such a number plate - it would look funny for sure.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd December 2009 at 14:24.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
I think this is perfectly legal to have registration number in local language. How will non english speaking/reading person identify vehicles?
Vehicle registration plates of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are perfectly correct how a local/non-English speaking people will read this. But assume that a National Permit truck/cab is running all over India. So eventually he has to write the no plate in all the reg language that he is visiting.
Also if some one comes or enter to other state he should first learn the Local language and then start traveling on the road.

Think a bit more buddy Its all political move rather than any good cause. I know some local people here, they still don't know to read a no plate in Kannada.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:55   #41
BANNED

Any language/script other than Roman is not legal. I understand that Maharashtra govt tried many times with the high court, only to be rebuffed every time.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:33   #42
BHPian

People use local language number plates when they've stuff to hide. So its usually people with ulterior motives who use them. I've seen well educated / well dressed / software engineers using local language number plates. They wouldn't speak their local language in their team meeting. Would they? Because that's showing disrespect when there are people from other states / country. But they'll drive around with number plates others can't read. Local language number plates have NOTHING to do with love for their mother-tongue.

Imagine this happening in Bangalore. A vehicle with local number plates hits a kid (whose father drives a vehicle with local number plates) and drives away. The witness happened to be a North Indian. Now you know why they keep local number plates.

Old 2nd December 2009, 17:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
People use local language number plates when they've stuff to hide.

Moreover it is a fashion statement for some of them, or some kind of showoff nothing else.
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
vivprasad

The English language script is easier to jot down fast and is more neutral than say Hindi which would be a nightmare in South and a south local language script which would be a worse nightmare in North.

The number plates have to be readable all across India and the ONLY PRACTICAL SOLUTION is English. This is something the British have left us but it also unites us more than any other language across india (including Hindi - which would be quite unfair down south.)

The number plates in all other langauges are simply illegal and absurd ways of conveying that one hails from XYZ political background.
Yes, but I myself advocated the use of english in my post....
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:55   #45
BHPian

Atleast in Kerala we don't have this sort of menace. Also lately most of the new vehicles sport the embossed INDIA number plates.

IMO when RTOs issues the vehicle registration number, they should also issue the number plate along with it after collecting a nominal fee. This is the norm followed through out the world.

Last edited by harishnair : 3rd December 2009 at 02:06.

Most Viewed