Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 04:44   #46
BHPian

Number plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
In B'lore its very common to find number plates written in kannada. In fact most of the BMTC buses have the registration numbers written in kannada.
Yes I have also noticed that BMTC buses have the registration numbers written in kannada on one side at the rear and on the other side they have the English number plates.

In Kerala the Traffic authorities are very strict regarding the number plates issue and hence you don't see many of these illegal number plates there ( I have seen a couple of them though).

How many of the mallu's knows the Malayalam numbers? Its nowhere in use now. What a shame!
Old 8th December 2009, 04:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Yes I have also noticed that BMTC buses have the registration numbers written in kannada on one side at the rear and on the other side they have the English number plates.

In Kerala the Traffic authorities are very strict regarding the number plates issue and hence you don't see many of these illegal number plates there ( I have seen a couple of them though).

How many of the mallu's knows the Malayalam numbers? Its nowhere in use now. What a shame!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
People use local language number plates when they've stuff to hide. So its usually people with ulterior motives who use them. I've seen well educated / well dressed / software engineers using local language number plates. They wouldn't speak their local language in their team meeting. Would they? Because that's showing disrespect when there are people from other states / country. But they'll drive around with number plates others can't read. Local language number plates have NOTHING to do with love for their mother-tongue.

Imagine this happening in Bangalore. A vehicle with local number plates hits a kid (whose father drives a vehicle with local number plates) and drives away. The witness happened to be a North Indian. Now you know why they keep local number plates.

I agree with you. Otherwise why do one have to do the illegal thing?
And Karnataka now claims that Bangalore is a Metropole. "BMTC" is "Bangalore Metropolitian Transport Corporation".

Once upon a time "they" used to Tar anything written in "ENGLISH".
Old 8th December 2009, 07:24   #48
BHPian

Rural Maharastra also have this issue. I often see vehicles covered with stickers, chrome and even more stickers that even if the number plate is in English we don't have a chance in million of identifying it on a moving vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
IMO when RTOs issues the vehicle registration number, they should also issue the number plate along with it after collecting a nominal fee. This is the norm followed through out the world.
This was almost implemented around three years back. Many State governments resisted it tooth and nail saying that it will add to the costs of poor commercial vehicle operators!
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:16   #49
BHPian

It is illegal to have number plates in Non-English.

See the RTO rule link below
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...8766754770.pdf

Number plates are not the place to show regional patriotism, there are many other places to show including your own signature and writing your address. If you need keep another 2 or three number plates in other languagues which you want to show your regional pride.
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I think one historical mistake we're guilty of perpetrating is the reference to Arabic or English numerals. The system was developed in India, but Arabs took it to the rest of the world, hence the name. But "English numerals" makes no sense whatsoever. Knowing how jingoistic we Indians can be, it may make sense to "reclaim" these Arabic numerals into the all-encompassing bosom of our Ancient Indian Culture. This might help state governments to overcome their distaste for a "foreign" system.
But the jingoist Indians have no reservations in sending their kids to English medium schools and asking their kids to move to US/UK for dollars/pounds. All this jingoism is hypocrasy. Who are we fooling? This is a typical politician's speech who tells poor villagers to send their ward to vernacular schools while the minister's kids go to elite English schools.

Incidentally, all those English-haters need not worry because there is nothing English about number plates. Alphabets are in ROMAN and numerals are in ARABIC.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:57   #51
BHPian

Re: Number plates in languages other than English

^^
I have registered a complaint against unapproved number plates at the public grievence website
:: Grievance Registration Form ::

My Reg number is MORTH/E/2011/00147
Old 5th April 2011, 13:59   #52
BHPian

Re: Number plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
In Kerala the Traffic authorities are very strict regarding the number plates issue and hence you don't see many of these illegal number plates there
How many of the mallu's knows the Malayalam numbers?
Attaching an image for the Malayalam numbers
Attached Images

Last edited by Tommie : 5th April 2011 at 14:03. Reason: Change the copy paste to an image for better viewability
Old 5th April 2011, 14:50   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Regional Language number plates are a flagrant violation of Motor Vehicles Act/ RTO Rules.

They are merely the misguided celebration of a silly, inward looking, sense of parochialism and regional polarization which some people seem to subscribe to.

But I guess as long as the police and traffic authorities remain silent and stay inactive on this aspect, this, like most other flagrant violations, is here to stay!
Old 5th April 2011, 15:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Regional Language number plates are a flagrant violation of Motor Vehicles Act/ RTO Rules.

They are merely the misguided celebration of a silly, inward looking, sense of parochialism and regional polarization which some people seem to subscribe to.

But I guess as long as the police and traffic authorities remain silent and stay inactive on this aspect, this, like most other flagrant violations, is here to stay!
What if traffic authorities themselves do this . See the other thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-plate-11.html
Old 5th April 2011, 17:28   #55
BHPian

I read somewhere that while the Motor Vehicles Act says that the number plates should always be in English, the same Act empowers the states to make their own rules. So it seems that the Karnataka Government made some rules which allows the number plates to be in Kannada. So it is not illegal to have kannada number plates in Karnataka, but if you take the vehicle out of Karnataka, then the number plate would be illegal. Don't ask me for the source coz I don't remember .
Old 5th April 2011, 18:16   #56
BHPian

I am on 2 minds on this. Let me put my views.

Our nation is vastly diverse. Regional languages are an inherent part of our heritage. Loss of a regional language leads to an indirect loss of heritage and tradition which our country is widely known for. All efforts should be made to preserve them. Who should shoulder this responsibility? The people residing there are the best bet.

These languages are at threat due to the English language. In this world of rapid urbanisation and globalisation, it is a losing battle to preserve regional languages. But neverthless, we should fight for their preservation.

Having number plates in the local language may seem an insignificant effort to promote the language. But it is small things like this that will make an impact for the residents to learn and equip themselves with the local language. If such small things are let out to the English language, then eventually even the bigger things will be lost to the English language. This will lead to the eradication of our regional languages eventually.

I believe having number plates in the local language will be beneficial in all cases but worrisome only in 2 scenarios:
1) Someone from outside the state is residing in the state. He will not be able to read and complain about it to the authorities. I believe that, since being a resident in the state, nevermind where he is from, should atleast know basics of the local language to decipher number plates. This will greatly be beneficial for the preservance of our languages.
2) Someone from outside the state is entering into the state with a plate of his own language. Then it should be upto the boundary RTO office to actually give him a sticker that he can stick temporarily on the vehicle which will be valid till he is within the state.

But i guess this is all hard work and we are inherently lazy...
Old 5th April 2011, 18:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
What if traffic authorities themselves do this . See the other thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-plate-11.html
Here's yet another specimen. Heck even his background color is silver!
Attached Thumbnails
Number plates in languages other than English-dscn0400.jpg  

Old 12th October 2011, 22:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, Pls take a look at this number plate, this guy seems to be having faith in national integration.
He is keeping happy those people who say no one can touch me even if I have number plate written in devnagri, also he wants to keep COPS away by having 50/50 policy.
Attached Thumbnails
Number plates in languages other than English-photo0161.jpg  

Old 12th October 2011, 22:56   #59
BHPian

In Mumbai you would end up paying a fine if your number-plate is not in english. eg(marathi, hindi, gujrati)
Old 13th October 2011, 00:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
In Mumbai you would end up paying a fine if your number-plate is not in english. eg(marathi, hindi, gujrati)
hi
i am afraid it is no more true.I have seen hundreds repeat hundreds of MH 01 and MH 02 in marathi(if you go more into the interiors it is more prevalent)
Quite a few had jai maharashtra or the national tricolor stripe on the no.plate.
in punjab and J&K i saw thousands of motorcycles without a no number plate,both front and rear,and quite a lot had a name written on the front.
rgds

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks