Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

[quote=BaCkSeAtDrIVeR;1315492]This is my second wish list. ;-)

1. Some stringent laws to deal with people manhandling drivers of vehicles involved in accidents.

2. A law against on the spot settlement of accident cases. (to prevent extortion and fake accidents). All such settlements should be reported to the police station. You either do not take any money, or report that money has been paid for settlement to the police.

on This the government basically can do close to nothing.
I have seen many accidents here and some abroad. The first thing that people do here in case of an accident is act like wild animals and beat up the driver and some cases the passengers too!!The next thing the crappy mob as you may call it,causes damage to the vehicle. In civilized countries the scene is different(i think).what ever has to be done is settled in court.

Now i know why people, when involved in an accident flee the scene.

well for my wish list
1)Reduce the duty of imported cars and bikes by 5-10% any thing more will be absolutely impossible and not at all fair to people who have bought a new car via cbu or any other way.
2)centralize taxes on roads so that cops in bangy dont ask a MH reg vehicle to pay his road tax in Bangalore too (not that ive got a problem with it )
3)Strict policies for choosing drivers. All the auto guys and bus drivers should give another very very well planned driving tests or compulsory driving advice classes on proper road manners.
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

I agree with many of the suggestions.One small thing I want to have the government allow is ,Engine Modification and swapping of Engine without prior permission from RTO et al.
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:28   #48
BHPian

Indian NCAP wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I agree with many of the suggestions.One small thing I want to have the government allow is ,Engine Modification and swapping of Engine without prior permission from RTO et al.
I think they can't do this as they have to ensure the reliability / road worthiness / safety aspects of a car. Which would affect not only the driver or passengers of the car, but others on the road as well, after such a modification (Engine Mods & swaps).

AND

would like to see something like The Euro NCAP in India. Its high time that the government focussed on the safety aspects of motoring.

Last edited by maglev : 22nd May 2009 at 21:45.
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I think they can't do this as they have to ensure the reliability / road worthiness / safety aspects of a car. Which would affect not only the driver or passengers of the car, but others on the road as well, after such a modification (Engine Mods & swaps).
This is allowed in countries like the US. You mean to say their laws are not bothered about reliability / road worthiness / safety aspects of a car?
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
ABS & Airbags should have been made compulsory on all new cars way back
+1. Tubeless tyre for all vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
My second wish

roads + drainage system so that no water clogging happens on the road.
For that we need stop filling the Lake in the City too. So many lakes have been converted to Flat/House every day.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
This is allowed in countries like the US. You mean to say their laws are not bothered about reliability / road worthiness / safety aspects of a car?

Which US??? The one which doesn't let people upgrade headlamp bulbs!

For Engine Swaps & Modifications every state in the US has its own law. But in California this would be the procedure:

You need to go to a Smog Referee, to get your car approved. In most cases the new engine must be an OE or factory produced unit & should be manufactured in the same or a newer year with regard to the year of production of the car, it's being installed in. The main job of the Referee is to look for all emission related issues & there compliance with the respective state code. Catalytic converter, etc must all be in place. They will verify that the engine emits CO2 within the legal range.
Then finally they would issue a badge or sticker & fix it on the car. This will identify the serial number of the new engine & serve as an indication that the engine is environmentally friendly.

Check out the following:

Unlawful Vehicle Modifications

Under traffic laws in most states, drivers may be given a traffic ticket for operating a vehicle that has been modified in violation of laws that regulate vehicle specifications and vehicle equipment. Examples of vehicle modifications that may result in a traffic ticket include:

Addition of non-standard lighting (neon lights, under-vehicle lights),
Alteration or removal of air pollution and emissions control device
Modification of vehicle ground clearance ("lowered" or "raised" vehicles),
Removal of mufflers and other sound-control devices, and
Window tinting (especially tinting of windshield or driver/front passenger side windows).

An unlawfully-modified vehicle can receive a traffic ticket for a mechanical violation. In some states, citations for certain unlawful vehicle modifications are considered "fix-it" tickets or "correctable violations." In California, for example, if you are given a "fix-it" ticket by a police officer, "yes" will be checked next to "Correctable Violation", and after the problem is fixed (i.e. you remove illegal under-car lights), you must get the signature of an authorized person (i.e. a local law enforcement officer) on the "Certificate of Correction" portion of the ticket. If you are issued a "fix-it" ticket for an unlawful vehicle modification in your state, read the ticket to determine whether you can mail the proof of correction, rather than taking it to court.

If the court accepts your correction, the case will be dismissed. But, if you fail to fix the problem within a short time after you receive a "fix-it" ticket, you will need to pay the fine for the unlawful vehicle modification, and you may be issued another ticket which will go on your record.

Source: Unlawful Vehicle Modifications - Learn About the Law

Also check: Google Answers: Street racing and engine modification laws in Cal.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:55   #52
BHPian

• Lesser congestion on roads by levying hefty fines on hawkers and pedestrians walking on roads where there's a footpath or bridge.
  • Start penalizing jaywalking in practice.
  • Do something about pollution. (Plant more trees? Random inspections of vehicles to check whether they meet emission standards. Valid PUC certificate is irrelevant to this. Air purifiers?)
  • Clear publication of fines & penalties for each offense like tariff cards for taxis. (This exists on the RTO website but many cops on the streets are unaware of it).
Also may be a little impractical but a private highway (or part of the highway reserved for fast flow of traffic) within the city for which one must pay a high monthly fee?
Old 23rd May 2009, 08:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which US??? The one which doesn't let people upgrade headlamp bulbs!

For Engine Swaps & Modifications every state in the US has its own law. But in California this would be the procedure:
But at least you can swap engines legally. They have options to buy engines there. And people do swap engines legally. You must have seen it on overhaulin too. And here you're talking about California specific laws. I've been there. There are specific laws for ships visiting too and I had to follow them. These rules were not applicable in the rest of the US.
Old 23rd May 2009, 11:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

1. Uniform price for petrol & diesel
2. Two Air Bags & ABS-EBD should be mandatory for all Passenger Cars Models/variants (Nano - RR)

3. 8 - 10 line Express Way connecting EAST,WEST,NORTH,SOUTH of India and 6 line Express way connecting all states (all signal free/subway or foot over bridge for pedestrians)

4. Advanced multiple car parking system with card swiping and camera surveillance throughout all major cities.

5. Convert all public transport system in major cities to Metro Rails and Mono Rails.

6. Road Tax and Registration should be uniform throughout the country

7. Advanced Security coded Registration Number Plates.

8. Smart Card Driving Licenses

9. Increase current speed limit 20- 30 % higher

10. Reduce import duties imposed on New/ Used Cars & Bikes

11. All automobiles should be more fuel efficient and should release less green house gasses.

12. Promote Electric/Hydrogen fueled automobiles

Saying all these, pretty sure “Nothing will Happen”!

Last edited by myavu : 23rd May 2009 at 11:26.
Old 23rd May 2009, 11:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
1. Road Tax harmonization across states and allowing cars registered across india without asking for additional Tax.
Thats exactly what I had in mind when I read the thread title. Never going to happen...We are all allowed to dream on though.
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:01   #56
Team-BHP Support

One wish.
For Heaven's sake stop digging and give us some good smooth roads.
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:00   #57
BHPian

My wish list for the so called new government.

1. Improve Public Transport thats the key to reducing traffic, congession, pollution and lots of two and three wheelers on the road (Pune is cursed by these issues)

2. Implement laws and remove the hawkers from the road side causing traffic congestion and blocking public Parking areas.

3. Decommission the Govt. officers not implementing the above improvements and are hand in glove with the politicians for not doing the same.

4. Stringent the laws for automobile manufacturers for being answerable for consumer harassment by the dealerships and inconsistent products.

5. Give Tax concessions for vehicles sold with safety features.(ABS, EBD,Aribags etc)

6. Start giving compensations to citizens who fall pray to various illnesses/accidents because of poor quality roads and inefficiency of Govt. to implement pollution control measures.

7. And for Gods sake do something about arrogant Rickshaw drivers for not ferrying citizens to the desired location especially senior citizens.

Oops I am getting sentimental about local issues in Pune. Sorry friends for any irrelevant points

Last edited by tush : 23rd May 2009 at 16:09.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:17   #58
BHPian

Above all, My big wish is reduce Corruption that is happening related to Vehicle and transport.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:35   #59

My wish list
1) Uniform road tax for all vehicles. 18 lakh as road tax for a mercedes e class is downright funny.

2) Please finish building/widening of national highways; especially GQ

3) No repayment of road tax in different states. getting money back is almost impossible from rto's.

4) Removal of the stupid length rule <4m and engine size restrictions. They are as outdated as the bow and arrow in war.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvns84 View Post
Removal of the stupid length rule <4m and engine size restrictions. They are as outdated as the bow and arrow in war.
Also other stupid rules like
-Public vehicles to have the reg. no. on all 4 sides.
-Horn OK Please on the rear of trucks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks