Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 16:53   #31
BHPian

well some ideas from my side:

1) build 1-2 race tracks and drag strips across India with the involvement of private sector for maintenance . This would seriously reduce the no of street racing incidents .
2)tax highly polluting vehicles.
3) REMOVE the excise duty based on car size and capacity,instead tax based on fuel economy tested by ARAI .
4)for god sake increase the pathetic 50 km/h speed limit on highways (well atleast this is case in NH-4 dono about the speed limit elsewhere)were nobody seems to follow it(understandable being a very low speed). Instead push the limit to 75 km/h for 3 lane highways and then start catching the offenders.
similarly increase the limit to 50 km/h for city driving.(keep the old limit for auto rickshaw ). INSTALL cameras at important areas to catch the offenders(installing and taking video of them is not going to help if no action is taken) this will aslo help with security.
5)introduction of points based infraction system for traffic offenders (like in Dubai and offenders in teambhp .)
6)PAY the officers a little more then why would then want to take bribe when they are getting enough salary with good incentives like tax breaks .(its working in the college where i study the increased salary has caused the security guy to turn down the bribe)
7)get them better patrol cars( CARS* ) and better bikes. oh come on i cant take the image of huge traffic cops struggling to ride the small wheel base Apache(not rtr) here in Chennai and also we need FIT POLICE MEN .
8)as said before reduce the tax for hybrids and electric cars/bikes. especially for Indian companies(like maini) . and provide incentives to startup ECO car companies.( hell even GM gets incentives in US for electric cars)
9)and finally start with multistory parking facilities with PAID PLUG POINTS TO CHARGE ELECTRIC CARS/BIKEs.
10)almost forgot! Get the old trucks without proper lighting out of the highways and make the getting of a commercial driving permit more stringent. We don't want maniacs coming in the reverse direction in the wrong lane and parking in the night in middle of the highway.

ps:a little to long eh.?
Old 21st May 2009, 00:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Allow import (duty free) of used cars.
+1 to that but with a qualifier. Used cars 7 years or older. We gotta watch out for our local industries as well.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that and include SBK's too.

Gotta stop dreaming now.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It is nice to have cars, but it is actually asking for indirectly damaging the countrys economy. Some amount of tariff is good, too low is bad because we dont want every other guy buying import.

Sugar is sweet, but not so good for health.

Last edited by aerohit : 21st May 2009 at 15:58.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:57   #35
BHPian

My wish is thats all heavy vehicles should be fined if they emit black smoke.
Infact, any vehicle should be fined. This is normal practise in countries I have spent time, for example African countries and South/North American countries, may be everywhere else also/

If i am paying road tax and other taxes from my salary, i deserve to breathe clean air.
I am also paying premium when buying a new car, for BS3 and BS4, so how can other people with badly maintained cars/trucks get away?
Old 21st May 2009, 16:30   #36
BHPian

1. Finish the damned GQ! I see lots of places in Karnataka where the GQ is part finished. I am sure the scene is the same across the country.
2. More and better equipped policing of highways and medical facilities.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:13   #37
BHPian

Cancel all licenses countrywide and re-issue them after rigourous tests. Have exhaustive courses for professional drivers. Its a small price that we commoners have to pay. But if it serves the purpose, each of our effors will be worthwhile.

Make Ethanol compulsory for state transport buses.

Finish the GQ and Create smaller silver quadrilaterals within every state

Uniform emission norms across the country. Companies should not be able to sell cars which have dated emission norms just because they are selling them in towns and villages. They will be bought back to cities and create more pollution.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:58   #38
BHPian

Abolish octroi for new car puchases!
Promote Multi car showrooms for new cars and regulate rules for used car showrooms.
Increased road safety, (better lighting, road signs, dividers, zebra crossings etc.)
Heavy fine for contractors doing sloppy road works.
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
1. Finish the damned GQ! I see lots of places in Karnataka where the GQ is part finished. I am sure the scene is the same across the country.
I think KA Govt is responsible for this. Remember Gowda who was not willing to give his land for NICE road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
My wish is thats all heavy vehicles should be fined if they emit black smoke.
Infact, any vehicle should be fined. This is normal practise in countries I have spent time, for example African countries and South/North American countries, may be everywhere else also/
Strict rules and regulation should be Implement on this Truck maker too. I think the design of the Truck in India should be change to avoid fatal accident. Strict load/capacity rule which is the main reason for destroying the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Only one wish as of now: reduction in fuel taxes (petrol @ Rs 30/- and diesel @ Rs 20/-).
GOVT is already planning to increase the price of 2/- for petrol. So may be end of 5 yr it will be 80-100 Rs.
JAI HO UPA !!!
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:30   #40
BANNED

This is my second wish list. ;-)

1. Some stringent laws to deal with people manhandling drivers of vehicles involved in accidents.

2. A law against on the spot settlement of accident cases. (to prevent extortion and fake accidents). All such settlements should be reported to the police station. You either do not take any money, or report that money has been paid for settlement to the police.

3. A FREE copy of the FIR to vehicle owner(s) AND all victims of the accidents. (The police and court officials currently try to keep away these documents from even parties involved - though these are public documents. The objective is to extort money, claiming that the victim can claim compensation from the accidents claims tribunals). Right now, only the complainant has the right to a copy of the FIR. In most cases, the "first informant" turns out to be the police officer or doctor of the hospital.

4. Insurance coverage based on distance travelled.

Feel free to flame / criticise / analyse what I have said. Some of these can be implemented only if a better and faster judiciary come in place, coupled with a honest police force.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
+1 to that. Make ABS mandatory on all passenger vehicles. To offset the increase in price of basic models due to that, introduce some more tax relief on them.
ABS & Airbags should have been made compulsory on all new cars way back
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:21   #42
BHPian

1) Finish all pending projects of constructing roads across the country.
2) Make all National Highways pot-hole free.
3) Stringent issue of Driving Licenses. They should know all driving rules before getting a license.
4) Give some importance to the automobile industry and treat them well. They have the potential to drive the economy uphill.

My dreams have no limit

I know none of the above will happen. No expectations. Try to implement this in the next 10 years at least.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:29   #43
BHPian

1.) Remove govt. control over fuel price (remove subsidies). Let it be market driven. It is not helping anyone, not even the poor.
2.) Make pothole free roads,6-8 lane highways, that too before I die . We incur highest cost in making per KM of road, with worst quality.
3.) Implement strict safety measures. ABS, airbags shuld have higher priority than AC, central locking etc.

Last edited by fi.robin : 22nd May 2009 at 18:33.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

My second wish

roads + drainage system so that no water clogging happens on the road.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:56   #45
BHPian

My Top 5

1. Dramatic reduction of tax on environment friendly vehicles like e-cars.
2. More stricter emission and safety rules with REMOVAL of vehicles off the street for ones not complying to it.
3. Improvement of public transport by large for ease of traffic on the road.
4. Decent Roads, if not for world class and all. Atleast Roads.
5. Uniform, Single point tax across state borders. I felt stupid to pay 3 Years tax in Bangalore and then come to Kolkata and pay tax again. If Kolkata has a reason that 'hey, you are plying on my roads, so you better pay me', then let Bangalore refund my remaining tax at a prorated basis.

Wish list is environment friendly, the need of the hour

Most Viewed