Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 13:05   #151
BHPian

Matiz

2002 Matiz ad
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-img_6583.jpg
arvindmanju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2009, 13:09   #152
BHPian

Opel Astra ad
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-img_6544.jpg
arvindmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2009, 11:20   #153
Senior - BHPian

Full ads will be posted soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_01.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_02.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_03.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_04.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2009, 12:46   #154
Senior - BHPian

The full Tata Indica launch ads-my all time favourites
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_01.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_03.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indical_l_04.jpg  

Attached Images

sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2009, 23:19   #155
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Zen VX
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-img_6539.jpg
arvindmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

arvindmanju,
Keep them coming. Absolute nostalgia!
Old 3rd September 2009, 02:11   #157
BHPian

Anyone has the Fiat Uno ad, the one that they launched the UNO in India with, It featured the track Volare (IIRC) by Gypsy Kings.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 3rd September 2009 at 02:12. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Do any one of you seen this ad?

108 KMPL and 3G moped I know only 3G Mobile

Attachment 166218
I remember this from the mid - late 80's. Test drove one for a friend too. It was quite peppy as far as mopeds go. But he bought a 150 cc scooter of the same name (Avanti) mfd by Kelvinator of India instead!

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd September 2009 at 07:07.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:03   #159
Senior - BHPian

Wow , nice thread. Keep it coming guys , im glued and getting nostalgic.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:35   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I remember this from the mid - late 80's. Test drove one for a friend too. It was quite peppy as far as mopeds go. But he bought a 150 cc scooter of the same name (Avanti) mfd by Kelvinator of India instead!
Btw the Avanti Moped was from Agrati Garelli Spa of Italy. I forget the name of the Indian collaborator though. It was not Kelvinator, who made the Avanti scooter.

There was also another moped during this period called the "Cadi-50". This was a 50 cc four stroke one. Anybody remember this?
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:05   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Anyone has the Fiat Uno ad, the one that they launched the UNO in India with, It featured the track Volare (IIRC) by Gypsy Kings.
The Uno ads posted here along with other FIAT cars
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...ml#post1391117

Even i love the gypsy ads, i will try to search again.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 3rd September 2009 at 16:06.
Old 4th September 2009, 02:44   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Btw the Avanti Moped was from Agrati Garelli Spa of Italy. I forget the name of the Indian collaborator though. It was not Kelvinator, who made the Avanti scooter.

There was also another moped during this period called the "Cadi-50". This was a 50 cc four stroke one. Anybody remember this?
Isn't Avanti the Indian counterpart?

Did anyone remember Sportif Peugot ? Have I spelt it or remembered the name right?
Old 4th September 2009, 10:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Isn't Avanti the Indian counterpart?

Did anyone remember Sportif Peugot ? Have I spelt it or remembered the name right?
No, the Indian co's name was different, I can't recall right now. The Sportif was a good one from Peugeot. It was a geared vehicle, more like the Silver Plus. There was a bunch of launches with foreign collaboration in the 80's, some even by non auto makers like Kelivinator. Remember the Leo Girnar scooter from GSFC, anyone? A replica of the Chetak if I remember right, just as the Avanti scooter was a look alike of the Vijai super.

BTW what happened to good old Priya from Maharashtra Scooters?
Old 4th September 2009, 11:32   #164
BANNED

Quote:
No, the Indian co's name was different, I can't recall right now. The Sportif was a good one from Peugeot. It was a geared vehicle, more like the Silver Plus. There was a bunch of launches with foreign collaboration in the 80's, some even by non auto makers like Kelivinator. Remember the Leo Girnar scooter from GSFC, anyone? A replica of the Chetak if I remember right, just as the Avanti scooter was a look alike of the Vijai super.

You Bet !!
Girnar was indeed from GSFC - Gujarat State Fertiliser (or Finance, am not sure) Corporation
Old 5th September 2009, 19:18   #165

Quote:
Remember the Leo Girnar scooter from GSFC, anyone?
I would personally love to see what those look like, I found a very small picture on the website of the National Institute of Design (NID :: Milestones 1961-1970 see 1968-1969) but other then that there isn't much online, apart from the following little history:

Girnar Scooters
was a company started in the late 60's by the Gujarat Small Scale Industries Corporation (GSIC). Unfortunately, by 1982 the company had been reduced to a miserable condition incurring heavy losses. The government of Gujarat tried various methods to revive the company. It also had prolonged negotiations with Bajaj Auto Ltd. to see whether the scooters could be handed over to Bajaj Auto, who were the market leader in scooters. Unfortunately, these negotiations also failed.

Scooters they made were the "Girnar Leo". If anyone has an advertisement for these, I would be very grateful to be able to see what those look like.

Gujarat Narmada Auto Limited (GNAL) was set up by fertilizir company Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizer Co. (GNFC) in 1986 in an attempt to save the 600 workers from Girnar Scooters. The 28000 sq/m factory was built in 144 days, and finalised on the first of May 1986.

According to some papers, the scooters they made were the "Narmada 150 Prince", the "Narmada 150 Fuji" and the "Narmada 150 Venus". These were supposedly replicas of Bajaj scooters.

In 2005, Barnala-based Standard Combines (P) Ltd acquired Gujarat Narmada Auto Ltd (GNAL) for producing scooters. Standard Combines (P) Ltd will foray into making scooters and diesel three-wheelers.

Quote:
just as the Avanti scooter was a look alike of the Vijai super.
Producers of Innocenti's "Lambretta" - based scooters:

* 1957 - 2002: Automobile Products of India (API): Lamby 150, Mac 150, Polo 150
* 1972 - 1998: Scooters India Ltd. (SIL): Vijay, Vijay Super, Vijay Super II, Cento, GP200

Around 1976, various public sector undertakings obtained licences from SIL for the manufacture of Vijai scooters and started production under different names such as:

* Allwyn Pushpak - made by Andhra Pradesh Scooters Ltd. (State of Andra Pradesh)
* Aravali - made by Aravali Swachalit Vahan Ltd. (State of Rajasthan)
* Digvijay - made by West Bengal Scooters Ltd. (State of West Bengal)
* Falcon - made by Karnataka Scooters Ltd. (State of Karnataka)
* Vijai Kesari - made by Punjab Scooters Ltd. (State of Punjab)
* Vijeta - made by Bihar Scooters Ltd. (State of Bihar)
* Vijay - made by Scooters Kerala Ltd.
* Tawi Scooters Ltd. (State of Jammu & Kashmir)

SIL also inspired the Kelvinator Avanti scooter, which inherited its Lambretta looks through the merger of Vijay licensee Aravali Svachalit Vahan Ltd. with Kelvinator of India Ltd. in 1982.

Quote:
As far as you can dig up online, Bajaj Auto Ltd bought out all the shares of Maharashtra Scooters (where before it was more of a partnership), and it is now a Bajaj plant.

Please keep those ads coming! Very much enjoying this thread!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks