Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 19:47   #166
Senior - BHPian

Anyone remembers the Maruti 1000 slogan - Quite a conversation piece. I had the poster in my room , also went on to buy it's advanced version esteem in 1998.
Old 5th September 2009, 19:54   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Anyone remembers the Maruti 1000 slogan - Quite a conversation piece. I had the poster in my room , also went on to buy it's advanced version esteem in 1998.
Hey I remember the Maruti 1000 advert on TV- there was a song line that went: "you're so like the lady with the mystic smile.." in a lovely tune.
The 1000 had caused quite a storm when launched, at its 4 lakh plus price tag. In fact there were rumours that the Income tax deptt was sending queries to all those who had booked this car .
Old 5th September 2009, 20:09   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
In fact there were rumours that the Income tax deptt was sending queries to all those who had booked this car .

Oh really they did ? I was a little young that time to remember that. In Delhi driving around in 1000 was a rage that time.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:54   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
Producers of Innocenti's "Lambretta" - based scooters:

* 1957 - 2002: Automobile Products of India (API): Lamby 150, Mac 150, Polo 150
* 1972 - 1998: Scooters India Ltd. (SIL): Vijay, Vijay Super, Vijay Super II, Cento, GP200

Around 1976, various public sector undertakings obtained licences from SIL for the manufacture of Vijai scooters and started production under different names such as:

* Allwyn Pushpak - made by Andhra Pradesh Scooters Ltd. (State of Andra Pradesh)
* Aravali - made by Aravali Swachalit Vahan Ltd. (State of Rajasthan)
* Digvijay - made by West Bengal Scooters Ltd. (State of West Bengal)
* Falcon - made by Karnataka Scooters Ltd. (State of Karnataka)
* Vijai Kesari - made by Punjab Scooters Ltd. (State of Punjab)
* Vijeta - made by Bihar Scooters Ltd. (State of Bihar)
* Vijay - made by Scooters Kerala Ltd.
* Tawi Scooters Ltd. (State of Jammu & Kashmir)

SIL also inspired the Kelvinator Avanti scooter, which inherited its Lambretta looks through the merger of Vijay licensee Aravali Svachalit Vahan Ltd. with Kelvinator of India Ltd. in 1982. ...
If I remember right, the name "Lambretta" was retained till early 1980's was changed to Lamby.

I would be great if someone posts the Lambretta ads. I just vaguely remember seeing the Lamby Polo ads.
Old 6th September 2009, 23:15   #170
BHPian

Oops.. forgot to thank WhiteKnight for starting this thread. A "fantabulous" thread!
Old 9th September 2009, 12:20   #171
BHPian

i found a few ads in my old mag collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-picture-157.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-picture-160.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-picture-172.jpg  

cadaver_prad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2009, 12:25   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
Producers of Innocenti's "Lambretta" - based scooters:

* 1957 - 2002: Automobile Products of India (API): Lamby 150, Mac 150, Polo 150

Please keep those ads coming! Very much enjoying this thread!

It was actually MAC 175, the only 175 cc scooter at that time. MAC denotes Mr.M.A.Chidambaram, the then chairman of API Ltd.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:03   #173
Senior - BHPian

Remember these early Hero Honda ads? Thanks to the Hero Honda site.Mods kindly delete if these were already posted:
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-hh3.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-hh4.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-hh.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-hh5.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-hh1.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-hh2.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 9th September 2009 at 22:09.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2009, 22:10   #174
Senior - BHPian

Here is the most memorable one: The 1 litre road:
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-1ltr-road.jpg  

Old 15th September 2009, 11:17   #175
Senior - BHPian

Soul of Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
just clicked the pics. Enjoy!
Hey sid! I thought you were a Palio fan!!
Take a look at what you missed - this was the one which I used to drool over - Honda City owners were sure lucky to own a car like those days....... I could only dream of this one ....... till I fell in love with the Palio!!
There are some terrific Siena ads to, but this was the one that got me started on Fiat - and the best one was their Siena Maestro edition ad - anybody got a picture of that?
( - I feel that the products which Tendulkar associated didn't do so well - Fiat, Boost - to name a few)

Finally see that the K4 ad - 92 kmpl!

PS - Sorry for the bad picture quality - shot it with my mobile camera - wife gets pretty upset the moment I start delving into the cupboard for all old auto magazines - distracts my daughter from her studies also
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-sj1500023.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-sj1500020.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-sj1500022.jpg  

vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:34   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect
The 1000 had caused quite a storm when launched, at its 4 lakh plus price tag. In fact there were rumours that the Income tax deptt was sending queries to all those who had booked this car
I am reminded of the days Standard 2000 was launched - and shortly thereafter there was similar rumour of IT raids. I recollect that was about 1987-88 and car was the priciest one in the market.

I am also reminded of the number of Mercs (belonging to people residing in Mumbai) being registered in Pune - because register it in Mumbai and IT Dept will be after you!
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:59   #177
Senior - BHPian

Guys please keep the thread clean and post only the 90's Ads or change the Title to Only Ads, because there are many Ads which are in 2000 being put up here.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:11   #178
Senior - BHPian

some contribution from my side
Attached Thumbnails
Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-bajaj-classic.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-baleno-2002.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-esteem-1998.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-indica-v2.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-lancer-icici-car-loan.png  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-opel-ad.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-servo.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-skoda-octavia.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-tata-sierra.jpg  

Ads from the '90s - The decade that changed the Indian automotive industry-toyota-qualis.jpg  

tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:58   #179
BHPian

@tanwaramit, great set of ads you have there. Thank you.

For the first time I'm seeing a Baleno ad. Looks like Maruti wanted to take a dig at City but then they side-stepped when it came to comparison chart (Obviously).

Btw, way better than "Man among Gentlemen' stuff
Old 4th November 2009, 17:39   #180
BHPian

Very Nostalgic indeed. There used to be an old Landrover ad where a camparo has been done with a Rolls, something like " At 60 mph all you can hear is ticking of the clock" and in a landrover " At 60 mph all you can hear is everything but the clock" or something like that...... love to see it in case soime one's got it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks