Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2005, 04:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
"
The Range Rover Sport offers an integrated mobile phone that employs a system developed by Nokia. This installation incorporates the Bluetooth system for remote operation although non-Bluetooth phones can be fitted into the cradle for recharging. The phone cradle is mounted in the cubby box lid and will accept most popular models of mobile phones, including ‘flip phones’. Bluetooth-enabled phones will function even if not inserted in the cradle.

The phone is integrated into the vehicle’s audio system and has a microphone mounted in the roof console. Incoming speech is relayed through the audio system, which mutes the normal programme when a call is received or placed. "

Sort of like that, except the cradle in the 997 is in the centre console, somewhere near the sat-nav screen.
Seems a pretty good setup... You infact dont even need a cell if you can slide in the SIM (as Vack mentioned).

The sat nav must be useless though.

Last edited by hawkeye : 7th June 2005 at 04:08.
Old 7th June 2005, 09:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hey, awesome car Vack.
Any problems with speed breakers and steep enterances? I noticed you have the S model which probably has dropped suspension with lower profile tires. Ported...am I right?

Yeah, you are right. But you have to think a lot to get the options right on this one. The 997 Carrera S comes with PASM (Active Suspension Management) as standard, so the company would drop only 10mm height for you. The 997 Carrera on the other hand does not come with PASM as standard, so you have the option of dropping it by 20 mm.
The Carrera S rides on 235/35 ZR19 up front and 295/30 ZR19 at the back, compared to 235/265 40 ZR18 for the Carrera.

The killer option is some Sports pack, which drops the ride by 20 mm and LSD, but without PASM.
Old 7th June 2005, 10:19   #33
BHPian

Firstly,welcome to team bhp.com vack..
Really nice car vack..Enjoy..I don't know how much you will be able to pull the car on Mumbai Roads,but go out there for a Mumbai-Pune dash on the Expressway.Enjoy..
So,I guess we might be seeing this babe in next years Speed Run eh?
Wanted to ask - How good does GPS Navigation work for India?..I mean does it give the road names in details,including the smaller lane names??..how about other information like nearest fuel pump,hospital,etc?

Suraj
Old 7th June 2005, 10:50   #34
BHPian

Hmmmmm.........Crazy!!! Everything has been said already!!!
Old 7th June 2005, 12:10   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Vack,
Good to hear that you haven't scratched the underside yet.
My relative in Delhi owns a blue 911 S and every time he takes it out of his bunglow, there is a sickening noise of it scratching.
Guys, i am sorry about the pics issue.
Will take them next time i am there or maybe a delhi-ite must have seen one.
Hope to catch up with you sometime.
Old 7th June 2005, 12:49   #36
BHPian

hey suraj, well the thing is that i have driven it really fast (192km/h) on marine drive... not taken it on the expressway yet...
we still dont have a proper GPS system in India... so cant really say... but from my expierence, the quality of the GPS system depends on the car... i rented an Audi A8 in germany about 3 months ago, and it had the best navigation system i have ever seen... gives full details of everything, petrol pumps hotels road names etc...
after that, i rented Volkswagen Phaeton, excellent car, good features, but horrible GPS system... so it all depends on the car and the GPS system they adopt
Old 7th June 2005, 13:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vack
the thing is that i have driven it really fast (192km/h) on marine drive...
- Vack , dude dont ever do that again on Marine drive atleast - you never know what mite come out of the gallis !! and besides driving at that insane speeds in the city is Illegal and then there are pedestrians too.....

so take care my friend ! for your high speed thrills - head to the expressway !
Old 7th June 2005, 13:38   #38
BHPian

dont worry about it... when u drive at those speeds u have to be confident of your driving... and i had my father in the car with me.... it was around 3:30 on a saturday night... so dont worry... i think i know what im doing.. but thanks anywyas!!!
Old 7th June 2005, 13:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

its amazing that you know what you are doing at 192kmph on marine drive!!!!!!
man maybe you can teach professional race drivers too!! also that you are only 19!!!
Old 7th June 2005, 14:11   #40
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey vach

Since schumachers assitant balbir singh has quit i would suggest you could apply for the post
He will get both personal trainer and controlled driving skills at high speeds

Just kidding Vach

be carefull during drives you never know what DESTINY has in store for you

Last edited by SCARLET : 7th June 2005 at 14:12. Reason: quote was unnecessary
Old 7th June 2005, 14:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Vack, its too dangerous. If you know what you are doing, then I guess its fine. Because whatever happens, you know that you will be fully responsible for it. But 192 at Marine Drive or anywhere else seems a lot. Just take care and drive safely. One bump, one speed breaker, one person crossing, one miscalculation and things can become difficult not only for you, but for others too. As you said your father sits beside you, I wonder what he must be going through as you take him towards the 200 mark. Don't make yourself regret later.
Old 7th June 2005, 14:29   #42
BHPian

iceman, mate, i think that if u were going really fast, you wuld want to look at the speedometer for an instant..
Gordon, he was the one who said go as fast as you can... i dont think he really expected me to go that fast!!! but he was alrite with it... said i should not cross the 150 mark on the roads in bombay... expressway is a different thing all together...
and the post of balbir singh was physio if im not mistaken... i dont think he had much to do with driving fast... but i wouldnt mind applying for schumachers job though!!!!!!

Last edited by Vack : 7th June 2005 at 14:30.
Old 7th June 2005, 14:35   #43
BHPian

and iceman, i think to have the confidence to go at such a speed, means i know what i am doing... i think a porsche is meant to be driven fast... ofcourse you probably dont know what it feels like... once you sit in that car, u just have to keep pushing it... you dont even realise when u reach such speeds... and what difference does me being 19 make? i dont think age is really an issue... and teaching professionals how to drive? mate, i think if you give a porsche to any person on an open road, he can take it to 190 or more, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to be able to drive at those speeds with no cars on the road.. think about it...
Old 7th June 2005, 15:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vack
and iceman, i think to have the confidence to go at such a speed, means i know what i am doing... i think a porsche is meant to be driven fast... ofcourse you probably dont know what it feels like... once you sit in that car, u just have to keep pushing it... you dont even realise when u reach such speeds... and what difference does me being 19 make? i dont think age is really an issue... and teaching professionals how to drive? mate, i think if you give a porsche to any person on an open road, he can take it to 190 or more, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to be able to drive at those speeds with no cars on the road.. think about it...

iceman, mate, i think that if u were going really fast, you wuld want to look at the speedometer for an instant..
Gordon, he was the one who said go as fast as you can... i dont think he really expected me to go that fast!!! but he was alrite with it... said i should not cross the 150 mark on the roads in bombay...

dont worry about it... when u drive at those speeds u have to be confident of your driving... and i had my father in the car with me.... it was around 3:30 on a saturday night... so dont worry... i think i know what im doing.. but thanks anywyas!!

Ice man - seems like we guys have gotten too old to drive !

and Vack - i'll give this one more try - pal we are only trying to tell you not to do stupid rash things with a car like that. we are not doubting for a second your ability with the car . Its just that we wont like anything happening to a BHPian or anyone for that matter.

if you get it - fine.....else - fine !

drive safe

cheers
Old 7th June 2005, 15:32   #45
BHPian

i think that its a matter of choice.... its how you choose to drive your car.... i agree with what you say... however, let me make one thing clear, it was not rash driving, it was fast driving. there is a difference... and driving fast or driving rash as a matter of ones choices... it was MY choice to drive fast that day..and if anything happened i would be responsible... but thankfully nothing did happen.... anywyas... forget about it... ill remember to drive slower next time.. sorry!

Most Viewed