Team-BHP - Imported cars being assembled in India illegally to Evade duties
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Imported cars being assembled in India illegally to Evade duties (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/59111-imported-cars-being-assembled-india-illegally-evade-duties.html)

Imported cars are being assembled in India illegally to Evade duties by first getting in parts and them assembling the same. Check link below.

Economic Times Link: Was your luxury car assembled locally?- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Wow!!! Why dont these guys - at least the mechanics - simply find a job in some A=S/S?

But, these mechanics are not trained enough to assemble such a thing to its previous glory!?

bad thing is they also forged documents :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 1315795)
Wow!!! Why dont these guys - at least the mechanics - simply find a job in some A=S/S?

Because I'm sure they would have earned 4x the regular salary at an A.S.S

How can a four wheeler be assembled here,The huge body shell cannot just pass off like that.I can hardly believe this one.ET always has some spice added to the scoops.
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 1316006)
The huge body shell cannot just pass off like that.ram

That was the first thing that struck me as well after reading the article. We could probably assume that some customs officials were hand in glove with the scheme.

But the news is citing DRI officials. Is not DRI part of the Customs?

And should we consider merging thjis with the "DRI cracking down on imports in Mumbai" thread? (just made a cursory pass through in that thread some weeks back - not sure of the contents there).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 1316006)
How can a four wheeler be assembled here,The huge body shell cannot just pass off like that.I can hardly believe this one.ET always has some spice added to the scoops.
ram

agree:. This can be true only in case of a bike, cars being assembled after importing is just a big joke:uncontrol.

Yes there are few cut & paste cars running out of TN, but not big cars.

The cars are not assembled here. The whole car comes in a container, but the manifest shows it as parts. Then the corrupt custom officer inspect the containers and suprisingly mistake a whole car for spare parts. You cannot assemble a car in a local garage.

This can happen with bikes but not with luxury cars esp. they are having very high profile security features. Maybe, TOI just needs something to fill their space !

Guys there has been a similar thread.
Cars are actually ASSEMBLED here. they come in as half cuts and then get "welded" together.
I know and have seen someone doing this. Chennai is known for this.

Cars coming in brand new completely assembled ubt wrong paperwork, i.e. stating them as parts or cheaper models is an old story and a famous delaer in Mumbai was caught.

The famous Cut-Minis evolved out of this.
An entire range of Mini coopers were cut into halves and brought as scrap in India and they were rewelded and assembled.
Yes Chennai was the home for this Auto Re-Engineering.q

Tough to believe this stuff,Anyways we have a case to study here.Never heard of such a thing in my life.Anyone has come across any cars built like this any where in india?

If they are so good at building cars, may be our local companies should hire them for quality control :) wat say?

@pedrolourence, that is one explanation I will buy. I will believe that.

Looks like DRI is planting this story (parts assembled locally) to protect the corrupt customs officials / or to avoid the hassle of investigating the corruption in C & F process.