Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Is it ok to have dealer's name on the number plate?

I think I read somewhere in team bhp itself that the number plate should be according to the rules specified (colors, fonts etc) and should not have anything other than the number on it. In particular, some names, such as owner's name or dealer's name etc are not allowed. Somebody who wrote on this forum was possibly caught by a cop and was fined.

However, after searching on google and on this forum, I could not locate that post, so creating a new thread. Can anybody point me to the rule, if any, or say that there is no such rule?

PS: It is likely that this is not the correct sub-forum to post this topic and this thread should probably be merged to older ones if the same question was asked (sorry, I could not find it). I would be happy to have this merged or moved by the admins.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well all my cars have the dealers name on it.

Most of the cars I think when coming out of the dealer have the dealers name on it.

I do not recall anyone being stopped or challaned for having the dealers name. Its not illegal I know. The Number should be clear though. See what my car had when I brought it. Thats a temp number. It has the permanent no now but the dealer name still remains.

Is it ok to have dealer's name on the number plate?-1.jpg
Old 24th May 2009, 12:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

As per rules its violation.As responsible people dealers should not indulge in this practice.Number boards have there specs and it should be adhered to.In case of violation any authorities checking could fine you and maybe the fine would be same as the cost of the number board.But here we find all kinds of boards and people seldom go by the rules.

ram
Old 24th May 2009, 12:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am the one who is in not favour of any kind of dealer name anywhere in my car. Why should I put their name on my car as I am the sole owner of car.

Once after servicing one service centre puts it stickers on headlights, rear windscreen, front windscreen. I asked them if you want to put these stickers on my car with your service centre's name you have to pay 2000 Rs per stickers for 6 months to me. It is termed as advertising and I cannot advertise your service centre for free. Looking after this three more owners asked them to remove stickers from their cars.

It is advertising and you owner has all right to get money for that. Its business as they do not render their service for free to me.
Old 24th May 2009, 13:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
As per rules its violation.As responsible people dealers should not indulge in this practice.Number boards have there specs and it should be adhered to.In case of violation any authorities checking could fine you and maybe the fine would be same as the cost of the number board.But here we find all kinds of boards and people seldom go by the rules.

ram
Absolutely agree that it is a violation. Its just that the traffic cops have many more things to worry about than this. In AP every tom, dick or harry, who thinks is someone will add red sticker to the numberplate stating "District Cong Committee Member " to "Member Medical Council. What takes the cake is again these someones or someone's someone will have black number plate and the cops also turn a blind eye. All these someone or someone's someone should be in full public view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am the one who is in not favour of any kind of dealer name anywhere in my car. Why should I put their name on my car as I am the sole owner of car.

Once after servicing one service centre puts it stickers on headlights, rear windscreen, front windscreen. I asked them if you want to put these stickers on my car with your service centre's name you have to pay 2000 Rs per stickers for 6 months to me. It is termed as advertising and I cannot advertise your service centre for free. Looking after this three more owners asked them to remove stickers from their cars.

It is advertising and you owner has all right to get money for that. Its business as they do not render their service for free to me.
Yes it is a form of advertisement and more than that defaces the car in my opinion.
OT: If you are interested in making some money out of your vehicle then look at this Cash UR Drive

Cheers
Old 24th May 2009, 14:24   #6
BHPian

Here in U.K, by law, you have to have a selling dealers name/website written on front and rear number plates.
This is applicable to even second hand car dealers.
Old 24th May 2009, 16:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

As per RTO laws, you should not have anything other than your numbers written on your number plate. Dealer name, T-BHP sticker, your company's name - you name it, it is not allowed. A cop can fine you over it.
Old 24th May 2009, 17:17   #8
BHPian

The TEMP Stickers normally have the dealer's name, But the permanent plates shouldn't.

I diligently remove all stickers put by the dealer, service station etc. I pay for the services, and am under no obligation to carry their advertisement on my car.
Old 24th May 2009, 21:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
I think I read somewhere in team bhp itself that the number plate should be according to the rules specified (colors, fonts etc) and should not have anything other than the number on it. In particular, some names, such as owner's name or dealer's name etc are not allowed. Somebody who wrote on this forum was possibly caught by a cop and was fined.

However, after searching on google and on this forum, I could not locate that post, so creating a new thread. Can anybody point me to the rule, if any, or say that there is no such rule?

PS: It is likely that this is not the correct sub-forum to post this topic and this thread should probably be merged to older ones if the same question was asked (sorry, I could not find it). I would be happy to have this merged or moved by the admins.
Nope will never prefer free advertising for someone like that. Its my car and its my life.
Old 24th May 2009, 21:55   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Nope will never prefer free advertising for someone like that. Its my car and its my life.
100% correct.
Old 25th May 2009, 09:15   #11
BHPian

the one noticeable thing is that they write the dealer's name on a blue strip ....does that makes sense ...every dealer does that
Old 25th May 2009, 09:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Every dealer may do that, but let them then pay me for the free advertising based on how much miles I do a month.

Plus that pic with the dealer's blue sticker is huge and ugly. When I give car for service, my last point which I tell them to note is. 'no stickers'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
As per RTO laws, you should not have anything other than your numbers written on your number plate. Dealer name, T-BHP sticker, your company's name - you name it, it is not allowed. A cop can fine you over it.
Maybe so, however if they start this drive in say bangalore, they will get lots of revenue + bribes cause its not a rule followed or enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
The TEMP Stickers normally have the dealer's name, But the permanent plates shouldn't.

I diligently remove all stickers put by the dealer, service station etc. I pay for the services, and am under no obligation to carry their advertisement on my car.
+1 well said.
Old 25th May 2009, 09:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
the one noticeable thing is that they write the dealer's name on a blue strip ....does that makes sense ...every dealer does that

AS said earlier on the thread. It is TOTALLY illegal under the motor vehicle act. One can be challaned for the same.

Unfortunately here in our country, minor violations go unnoticed. Even plates with fancy & unreadable fonts are a no no.

Cheers
Old 25th May 2009, 11:22   #14
BHPian

This is a common practice with used car dealers.

my OHC AT came with 3-4 different stickers, on number plate & other areas on back.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

If any dealer put's a sticker on your car, put another sticker before it saying "Worst Dealer" or "Chor Dealer". Next time you take your car for servicing, the manager himself will come and remove all stickers. Coming back to the number plates, I think you can tell the dealer you want the plates without his name. He cannot refuse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks