Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 16:40   #31
BHPian

How could we miss the Freed?

All competition for the Xylo WILL have to looak at a Diesel powerplant.
Unfortunately, for the folk at Toyota, the Avanza isn't available in a Diesel and that complicates their plans.
Nissan's Livina or Grand Livina can well fit the bracket as they are similarly priced like the Avanza's.

What is also similar in terms of body style and size is the Honda FREED. But the freed's price is close to twice the price of Avanza or Livina.

Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-01.jpg

Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-02.jpg

Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-03.jpg
Old 29th June 2010, 18:08   #32
BHPian

of all the products the Hyundai holds promise
the rest will not be able to price their cars competitively
Old 29th June 2010, 18:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finject View Post
.. Xylo is miles ahead of every one else in the SUV/MUV category
I wouldn't give much importance to the survey attached.
They have given Xylo relatively very high points in terms of looks. Which is shocking to say the least!

And that is just one of the few other weird statistics presented in that survey!!

Last edited by rrsteer : 29th June 2010 at 18:18.
Old 29th June 2010, 18:36   #34
BHPian

What worries me is if the Chinese OEMs like Great Wall, Dong Feng, FAW and the rest enter Indian markets, Mahindra and Tata will be in big trouble, so will the rest of the global OEMs.

There are many vans/utility vehicles that can give Mahindra Xylo a serious competition as the Chinese market has a huge share of suc products.
Attached Thumbnails
Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-cowry.jpg  

Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-dongfeng.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 21:59   #35
SRK
Senior - BHPian

GM will enter with Chinese products to compete with Xylo and likes.

Also don't forget Maruti's rIII.
Old 30th June 2010, 03:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
@ da lowrider: Thanks for the pic. Thats a nice looking vehicle from Hyundai. If Hyundai plans to launch it here, what price bracket would it fit?
Would love to see vehicles like Suzuki APV, Hyundai imax/starex, some vehicles from Nissan and Ford stables being launched here.
My bad actually, based on how the car prices usually compare between India and Australia, I thing the iMax will actually slot into the Aria price bracket, unless Hyundai localises big time, then it might just get into Innova territory.

There is also the passenger variant of the FIAT Scudo, but I wonder what the price would be if Fiat ever got it down to India, or maybe the new Doblo in its 7 seater configuration, I'm sure Fiat can price it in Xylo territory, but I guess at the end of the day all of this is just wishful thinking...
Attached Thumbnails
Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-scudo.jpg  

Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ???-2010fiatdoblo2.jpg  

Last edited by da_lowrider : 30th June 2010 at 03:50.
Old 30th June 2010, 14:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I still feel that Sumo Grande is a big competition for the XYLO only if TATA does the following:
  • Advertise more about Grande
  • Change the front grill to probably a mesh/Honey comb grill
  • Drastically improve the interior quality.
  • Give Alloy wheels and ABS/Airbags (higher models)
  • Re-price it with the name "Grande"
All the above, AND change the dashboard to something more respectable. It reeks too much of the Original Sumo/Spacio/Victa etc. Otherwise (even with
leaf springs) the Sumo Grande is a great effort and a good car.
Old 1st July 2010, 01:53   #38
BHPian

I doubt if most of the MPVs mentioned here will make it to India. A luxury MPV is not suitable for India as yet. It will be a huge loss to the manufacturers. Xylo is a clever van. Big on space, low on the wallet and respectable performance. And the suspension is just too good. A true VFM product. The competition may not have an answer for a year or two at least.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

I still like the Sumo Grande. all I am wary about is the TATA finish. Mahindra many not have excellent fit and finish but, its not half done as a TATA finish.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:07   #40
BHPian

It goes down the manufacturer image. I doubt if these foreign manufacturers would try to launch a MPV in Xylo's price braket. For two reasons,

1. Economically it may not be feasible
2. If they do launch a vehicle in that class and price range the brand image would come down and it would be tough for them to sell their luxury/premium products.

I believe they would rather focus on launching luxury/premium vehicles in higher segments.

That leaves us with only 2 competitors Tata, Maruti.

Maruti I doubt would launch a Diesel but Yes we can hope for Stronger/Solid Versa. It may not be substatial competitor for Xylo.

Tata is the only other OEM that can come up with something. But at the moment Xylo seems to be in its own league. Except Logan (sedan), I think most of the Mahindra's products (mainly SUVs/MUVs) have their own market. That's been a tradition for so many years. Tata tries to compete in some models. But in SUV/MUV market mahindra is a market leader. Period.
Old 1st July 2010, 17:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
It goes down the manufacturer image. I doubt if these foreign manufacturers would try to launch a MPV in Xylo's price braket. For two reasons,

1. Economically it may not be feasible
2. If they do launch a vehicle in that class and price range the brand image would come down and it would be tough for them to sell their luxury/premium products.

I believe they would rather focus on launching luxury/premium vehicles in higher segments.

Economically it is always feasible, if Innova can be manufactured in India in the bracket of 8-12 lakhs and it sells close to 3500 per month. It coexists with Xylo which sells in the bracket of 6-9 lakhs and does close to the same numbers. I feel there is always a space for somebody to start manufacturing mpv's in this price range. I remember Hyundai sells its Imax in Australia for 25000 AUD. That comes close to 10 lakhs. I am sure if they start manufacturing it here they can always bring down the price.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
All the above, AND change the dashboard to something more respectable. It reeks too much of the Original Sumo/Spacio/Victa etc. Otherwise (even with
leaf springs) the Sumo Grande is a great effort and a good car.
No offence - but have you tried being in the last seat of Sumo Grande and sample the leaf spring ride. I have and can confirm that I never want to be there again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks