Team-BHP - HMIL i20 Diesel Plan,Compact Car and lot more
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   HMIL i20 Diesel Plan,Compact Car and lot more (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/59365-hmil-i20-diesel-plan-compact-car-lot-more.html)

The Gujarat government has pitched Hyundai Motors India Ltd (HMIL) to set up a manufacturing facility in the state. HMIL Managing Director H S Lheem met officials of the Industry Department on Tuesday to discuss such possibilities.

Lheem, however, denied that there are plans to establish a manufacturing facility in the state. He said: "The officials in the government wanted HMIL to establish a manufacturing facility here. Though we have no such expansion plans, we will consider this state as one of the candidates for such expansion." Lheem was in Vadodara to inaugurate the Aldiam Hyundai dealership in the city.

He said HMIL plans to bring out an ultra low-cost car in the Indian market, probably in 2011. Indian engineers in the company's RandD centre in Hyderabad are working in close association with their Korean counterparts to develop this "micro car", he added.

He said the car will be priced around 2.5 Lakh and will be bigger than the Nano, but smaller that Hyundai's flagship model Santro.

Lheem said: "We will certainly bring out a small car in India in a couple of years. It will be priced around Rs 2.5 lakh, but it will not be a competitor to Tata's Nano."

Lheem was optimistic about the future of the auto industry in India.

He said despite the global slowdown, HIML has been able to increase its market share from 17 to 20.4 per cent this year. Markets in the western region are doing well and lot of industrial activities are going on. HMIL will expand its dealership network from the present 257 to about 300, he added.

He further said that HMIL is also planning to launch new variants in the mid and small size segment.

"There is a lot of demand from different states on more variants. We have decided to come up with a diesel variant of i20 in the second half of this year. Punjab and the southern states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu want the LPG variant, while Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad are asking for more CNG variants.

Source:[yahoo]

So does it mean that the I20 will have all possible iterations? Petrol/Diesel/LPG and CNG? Just give it a diesel motor and price it sensibly and rest all things will follow!

i20 is i10 with extended features. so maybe they should introduce i10 diesel and then try for the i20 diesel if the former is successful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur (Post 1321853)
i20 is i10 with extended features. so maybe they should introduce i10 diesel and then try for the i20 diesel if the former is successful.

I had read Hyundai would be coming out with a i10 Diesel for this year. Havent heard any news on that end so far.

I wish we knew for sure about the diesel engine that will power the i20. I don't want to end up buying the GP to have Hyundai launch the i20 with Verna's 1.5 CRdi engine in December :Frustrati .

Of course, the car will have to be feature rich. No point in having a stonker of a engine with a stripped down car like they did with the Getz.

any idea about he next step from verna????maybee i30 in sedan form?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildon (Post 1321693)
Lheem said: "We will certainly bring out a small car in India in a couple of years. It will be priced around Rs 2.5 lakh, but it will not be a competitor to Tata's Nano."

Why do all company try to compare their car/model with the NANO.
:Frustrati

As far as i know the I20 diesels are already being manufactured in the chennai plant but the production is completely catering to the international market. This is an info i got from a Service manager who had visited the plant for some annual training.

When the i20 diesel does launch in India, it will roll out from the Chennai plant. Whether future i20 diesel production will move to Gujarat because of labor/electricity issues in TN is anybody's guess.

Euroncap results for the i20 and others are out. Here are my comments:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post1322280

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellstar (Post 1322035)
As far as i know the I20 diesels are already being manufactured in the chennai plant but the production is completely catering to the international market. This is an info i got from a Service manager who had visited the plant for some annual training.

I read more than one news article in which it is mentioned that i20 is produced only in India. Wikipedia i20 entry too mentions assembly in chennai, India.

they are being manufactured only in INDIA so far and the plant had gone into some issues as well due to the labour problems

Despite labor problems and other headaches their Sriperumbudur plant is too big, too integrated (with supplier units in the same complex) and very near a port for them to consider moving anywhere else. It was, a few years ago, one of their six big global manufacturing centers. Moving from there is really not an option for HMIL.

wish hyundai realises that people are willing to buy a feature rich diesel i20 for a premium. hope they dont cut down on the equipment list in the diesel variant.

i10 diesel will sale like hot cakes!!! & will definitive outnumber swift D, only if Hyundai will price it sensibly. (Because of hefty premium, even though an excellent car, Getz D was never as a competitor of swift.)

Hyndai is also well know for charging huge premium on CNG & LPG kit.

An after market CNG kit will cost 35,000 Rs, Hyundai is charging 55,000 rs.

An after market LPG kit will cost 20,000 Rs, Hyundai is charging 35,000 rs.

(approx prices)