Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 17:53   #31
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: High-end cars with CNG / LPG kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The suspension would be fine, by just using a height raising kit or new rubber pads at the base. It depends on the type of suspension. The price would be anywhere between 300-1500 depending upon the type of suspension used.
OMG, not this debate again.

I am sure you have checked out GTO's recent thread on coil adjusters for his Civic and other cars in general.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
OMG, not this debate again.

I am sure you have checked out GTO's recent thread on coil adjusters for his Civic and other cars in general.
I did, no scary debates here , The techniques mentioned by me have been used in my cars and its just that. eg the Accent uses a kit costing 1500, the Ritz uses pads at 300.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 18:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment!! Well my way of judging cars is different than most people. I mean if a car is a success in the Taxi segment or something is successful commercially then it should be successful for private use. I personally was convinced about CNG a long time ago. I was going somewhere in a CNG powered Radio Taxi (Mega Cab) Esteem and after 15 minutes into the ride, I asked all sorts of questions to the driver. He convinced me and gave all valid pro's and con's.

I have personally seen a Corolla, Civic, Accord (All generations except current), Octavia(only one) , Opel Astra, Sonata, CRV, Optra and Mercedes Benz C Class (Only one). Converted and running successfully. These are the ones I can recall clearly.

P.S.: saving on fuel costs + being greener in terms of emissions should be a matter of pride.
(No offence to anyone) and one more thing a CNG powered car does less harm than a Toyota Prius to the environment. In short a CNG 800 or Nano is greener than a Prius at a 10th of the latter's cost.
Do you think that people 'look down' upon guys who use CNG in Saddi Dilli? Not that it matter personally to me, but it does to people associated Once I take a decision in favour though:--> People or no people. They will not matter.

Quote:
I dont think it is a laughable idea, I would think it is a practical idea. You will still continue to drive a Civic with all its niceties with less running costs. As far as I understand, acceleration might suffer a bit, but thats it. However, coil adjusters would be needed along with the CNG kit or a new suspension.
Well, I wouldn't care as much then. It will not be my only car. It will come as replacement for my Swift and we'll buy a new car too. However, since I love Civic, it may probably be driven the most.

U see the Maths is same:

EQUATION1:

Civic as replacement for my Swift= 3.5 lacs+ Swift.
A new Vento Trendline= 8.5 lacs
Total= 12 lacs.

EQUATION2:

A new D segment car= 12 lacs+
Retain Swift: Convert to CNG.

Either way, it will be a Diesel+ CNG combo. Whether it makes sense to buy Civic and convert to CNG or convert my Swift insted is what I have to decide. What say?

Other than the 2 cars above (whichever combo) we will still have a Beat LS and Matiz (crap car) to run on petrol. With multiple cars, there's no way I can run most of my cars of petrol, else half of may salary will contribute towards my petrol bill.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 19th May 2011 at 18:10.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:14   #34
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
U see the Maths is same:

EQUATION1:
Civic as replacement for my Swift= 3.5 lacs+ Swift.
A new Vento Trendline= 8.5 lacs
Total= 12 lacs.

EQUATION2:
A new D segment car= 12 lacs+
Retain Swift: Convert to CNG.

Either way, it will be a Diesel+ CNG combo. Whether it makes sense to buy Civic and convert to CNG or convert my Swift insted is what I have to decide. What say?
The new D segment diesel is probably Cruze or Laura, I would assume.

(my) Head says Equation 2.

Heart says Equation 1.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Do you think that people 'look down' upon guys who use CNG in Saddi Dilli? Not that it matter personally to me, but it does to people associated Once I take a decision in favour though:--> People or no people. They will not matter.

If it matters then why tell them?? I have seen many people installing the changeover switches in the lower part of the dashboard so as to hide them from public view, simple

Just read your entire post, The Swift especially the G13BB series is hugely successful on CNG, power loss varies from nil to negligible. But it depends on the condition of the engine and the kms run. My statement above is based on a engine upto 10k kms.

Last edited by maglev : 19th May 2011 at 18:36.
Old 19th May 2011, 20:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it matters then why tell them?? I have seen many people installing the changeover switches in the lower part of the dashboard so as to hide them from public view, simple

Just read your entire post, The Swift especially the G13BB series is hugely successful on CNG, power loss varies from nil to negligible. But it depends on the condition of the engine and the kms run. My statement above is based on a engine upto 10k kms.
  • 1My Swift has 45K on the odo currently, and maybe will have 55K by the time I get back to Delhi. I love G13BB. But I thought that the Swift with K series should fare better on CNG than this one.
  • 2One of the ones who takes not so kindly of BIG-CAR-ON-CNG is my Biwi Relatives, who cares
  • 3BTW, any comments on the equations given above in terms of preferences. The Beat is basically my sis's car. The big car (D segmenter or used Civic ) will be mine, the Vento Trendline or Swift will be driven by my wife. Nobody at our home likes our Matiz, so it is berozgaar. Just an add on car. I don't sell coz I will not get anything in return. Even my Avenger will sell costlier. In Delhi, image is everything, and the Matiz has a poor image.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 19th May 2011 at 20:12.
Old 19th May 2011, 21:43   #37
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have personally seen a Corolla, Civic, Accord (All generations except current), Octavia(only one) , Opel Astra, Sonata, CRV, Optra and Mercedes Benz C Class (Only one). Converted and running successfully. These are the ones I can recall clearly.
Since we are discussing CNG kit on a Civic, can you throw some more light on what type, specs of CNG kit (I am a total newbie on CNG kits) that can go into a Civic. And the expected power loss.

Quote:

In short a CNG 800 or Nano is greener than a Prius at a 10th of the latter's cost.
Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 19th May 2011, 23:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Since we are discussing CNG kit on a Civic, can you throw some more light on what type, specs of CNG kit (I am a total newbie on CNG kits) that can go into a Civic. And the expected power loss.
Dot, while I haven't personally driven a cng'd Civic, our local taxi vaala has one and claims there's negligible power loss. His car is using the closed loop system.
I've come to believe that more powerful cars fare rather well on CNG(My baleno got fitted with the kit at 45k and has currently done almost 1.35 lakhs. There's been no issue at all and it drives very well) and hence I may too opt for a conversion on my Cedia.
I'm trying to find out about the endorsement issue for the same. Can someone shed any light on the same ? Aren't we allowed to convert any EURO III model ?
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 00:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
  • 1My Swift has 45K on the odo currently, and maybe will have 55K by the time I get back to Delhi. I love G13BB. But I thought that the Swift with K series should fare better on CNG than this one.
  • 2One of the ones who takes not so kindly of BIG-CAR-ON-CNG is my Biwi Relatives, who cares
  • 3BTW, any comments on the equations given above in terms of preferences. The Beat is basically my sis's car. The big car (D segmenter or used Civic ) will be mine, the Vento Trendline or Swift will be driven by my wife. Nobody at our home likes our Matiz, so it is berozgaar. Just an add on car. I don't sell coz I will not get anything in return. Even my Avenger will sell costlier. In Delhi, image is everything, and the Matiz has a poor image.

1. My Ritz has the same 1.2L K series as the current Swift, but its more sensitive to the CNG tuning due to the higher number of electronics used. The G13BB on the other hand is a simpler and more easily tunable engine. Almost any CNG installer can tune it to perform, Where as the the KSeries requires more expert services

2. I'm not married but here it goes, tell her that she'll have more to spend and big car to flaunt at GK-1 M Block. , I hope you get the drift.

3. The Beat is placed perfectly, The swift + CNG over the Vento anyday and an Accord + CNG would be my take on it. The money for the Vento can be used for funding the Accord. The Matiz can be used to reserve parking for the Accord if you have a parking problem in your area. My neighbor uses a getz for his Accord's parking as his house has absolutely no parking around it.

Quote:

As said by Sukrit a simple closed loop kit would be enough, power loss would not be much as the Civic comes with a high revving motor in any case. High revving engines don't have significant power loss on CNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Dot, while I haven't personally driven a cng'd Civic, our local taxi vaala has one and claims there's negligible power loss. His car is using the closed loop system.
I've come to believe that more powerful cars fare rather well on CNG(My baleno got fitted with the kit at 45k and has currently done almost 1.35 lakhs. There's been no issue at all and it drives very well) and hence I may too opt for a conversion on my Cedia.
I'm trying to find out about the endorsement issue for the same. Can someone shed any light on the same ? Aren't we allowed to convert any EURO III model ?
Unfortunately all cars don't have an RTO approval a common example was the Ikon 1.3 Rocam & pushrod both, whereas the 1.6rocam had the approval.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 11:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. The Beat is placed perfectly, The swift + CNG over the Vento anyday and an Accord + CNG would be my take on it. The money for the Vento can be used for funding the Accord. The Matiz can be used to reserve parking for the Accord if you have a parking problem in your area. My neighbor uses a getz for his Accord's parking as his house has absolutely no parking around it.
Maybe I didn't spell this out very clearly. With the current budget, the could be only two combination of cars:

EQUATION1: No of cars=4.

1. Get Civic and convert to CNG(+6 lacs; all cash) and sell Swift to fund for it (-2.5 lacs?); Transaction cost=+3.5 lacs.
2. Get new Vento TDI Trendline(+8.5 lacs); Transaction cost=+8.5 lacs.
3. Retain Beat; Transaction cost=0.
4. Retain Matiz; Transaction cost=0.

TOTAL TRANSACTION COST: 12 lacs.

EQUATION2: No of cars=4.

1. Get new D segment diesel base model(Cruze/Fluence?) Transaction cost=+12 lacs.
2. Retain Swift and convert to CNG; Transaction cost=Almost 0.

There cannot be any other combinations without changing the budget . Oh and the new car (either Vento=equation1 or D segment=equation2) will be on loan. So, I cannot go for a used car.

What says guys?

NOTE to Mods: I don't want to make this my Whatcar forum. Just that I found this the best place to discuss the Civic CNG conversion.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th May 2011 at 11:29.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes has factory fitted CNG E-class available in Europe. I think its the E200 model. CNG in Europe is known as a cost effective as well as being environment friendly.

At one point of time, it was being considered for Indian launch but did not happen.
Old 21st May 2011, 19:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I didn't spell this out very clearly. With the current budget, the could be only two combination of cars:

EQUATION1: No of cars=4.

1. Get Civic and convert to CNG(+6 lacs; all cash) and sell Swift to fund for it (-2.5 lacs?); Transaction cost=+3.5 lacs.
2. Get new Vento TDI Trendline(+8.5 lacs); Transaction cost=+8.5 lacs.

EQUATION2: No of cars=4.

1. Get new D segment diesel base model(Cruze/Fluence?) Transaction cost=+12 lacs.
2. Retain Swift and convert to CNG; Transaction cost=Almost 0.

There cannot be any other combinations without changing the budget . Oh and the new car (either Vento=equation1 or D segment=equation2) will be on loan. So, I cannot go for a used car.

What says guys?

NOTE to Mods: I don't want to make this my Whatcar forum. Just that I found this the best place to discuss the Civic CNG conversion.

One question, do you really need 2 large sedans??
Old 21st November 2012, 21:52   #43
BHPian

I'm hunting for a low run civic automatic in used car market, and plan to install lpg sequential kit.
I'm fine to compromise on power and engine life since I plan to use it for not more than 3 years.
Kindly advice whether this is a good idea?
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Last week i was shocked to see a LPG kit on a Range Rover Sport and a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow..I really wonder why people would buy such cars an get them converted. Its like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini run on CNG/LPG..:(
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy
Last week i was shocked to see a LPG kit on a Range Rover Sport and a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow..I really wonder why people would buy such cars an get them converted. Its like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini run on CNG/LPG..:(
That would for the first time qualify for being Pound wise and penny foolish, if there was such a thing.
For buying the best vehicles that money could buy and then scrimping on fuel.

Unless they use their RR and RR like taxis, how will it justify the LPG kits? I have heard, and could be wrong, that if your vehicle gives say 10 KMPL then the kits will reduce it by 25-30%. So it will give 7 KMPL but the cost of fuel will be lower.

So on cars with big engines, will it still make sense?

I can't imagine a Rolls queuing up with autorickshaws and taxis for a refill. Some things are just not done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks