Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 11:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

High-end cars with CNG / LPG kits?

I was wondering why high end cars in the 10+ lakh segment do not come with CNG/LPG kits either from manufacturer or from the after market ?

even in these segments, there are many who are FE conscious and opt for diesels.

so are there any reliable after market suppliers for CNG/LPG kits for, say, a ACCORD,CAMRY or maybe even the entry luxury segment ?

wouldnt this be a great alternative in segments where there may not be good diesel alternatives ? (like ACCORD/CAMRY )

this could be a good alternative for the much more expensive diesel variants in the luxury segment ?

your thoughts..
Old 27th May 2009, 11:49   #2
BHPian

CNG/LPG will affect the ride quality to a certain extent and also reduces engine life compared to petrol/diesel counterparts. Of course when you put in 10 lacs+ in a car you expect it to have a very comfortable ride quality isnt it?
Old 27th May 2009, 11:50   #3
BHPian

Well ,I think the Cedia has a LPG/cng model, also the optra came with a LPG option long time back.
I don't think the demand for LPG kits from D+ segment customers is high enough for the manufacturer to invest in an LPG varient.
IMO, if a person can afford a D segment car , he should be able to afford the running costs ..
Old 27th May 2009, 12:44   #4
BHPian

I have seen many c +(accent cities lancers icons skodas ) segment cars converted to lpg . (yet to see a toyota )

my observation

This trend is very common in gujarat. easy availablity of gas stations can be one of the reason.

Last edited by siedo : 27th May 2009 at 12:46.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
IMO, if a person can afford a D segment car , he should be able to afford the running costs ..
the fact that diesel variants sell in great numbers even in the premium segment means that running costs is still important for the D and even the luxury segment buyer

the question is whether there is a reliable CNG conversion option in the after market for such expensive cars
Old 27th May 2009, 13:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

i have seen accord v6, mercs bmws and even skoda rs with aftermarket cng and lpg kits
Old 27th May 2009, 13:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
CNG/LPG will affect the ride quality to a certain extent and also reduces engine life compared to petrol/diesel counterparts. Of course when you put in 10 lacs+ in a car you expect it to have a very comfortable ride quality isnt it?
LPG & ride quality ? Do you mean every time you press the accelerator the gas goes boom & shakes the car all over ?
That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
the fact that diesel variants sell in great numbers even in the premium segment means that running costs is still important for the D and even the luxury segment buyer
Thats very true. But there is also the fact that these people do not keep the cars for more than 2/3 years & they do not mind losing heavily on resale either which is why you can get a 5 year old Camry for less than 5 lakhs.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 13:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Every consumer buys a product only after considering affordability. That doesn't mean they wouldn't mind more bang for their buck.

I think many wouldn't like aftermarket modifications to their cars which can void warranty. I bet they would definitely consider a factory fitted option.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
i have seen accord v6, mercs bmws and even skoda rs with aftermarket cng and lpg kits
thats interesting - any idea which brand of kits these companies go for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think many wouldn't like aftermarket modifications to their cars which can void warranty. I bet they would definitely consider a factory fitted option.
so does that create the case for manufacturer to offer such an option ? for e.g - why cant HONDA think of such an option for the ACCORD at a modest premium if they find it so difficult to bring in the diesel power plants ?

also - as Abhinav has observed - there are a few customers who have done that. so possibly there are some "premium CNG kits " too in the market..
Old 27th May 2009, 14:10   #10
BHPian

Premium LPG Kits

Quote:
thats interesting - any idea which brand of kits these companies go for ?

also - as Abhinav has observed - there are a few customers who have done that. so possibly there are some "premium CNG kits " too in the market..
Yes. Sure. There are LPG kits available for engine upwards 2.2L capacity. But all of them are Gray imports and none of them are approved by Govt. agencies such as ARAI, VRDE. It is illegal to use them and RTOs won't endorse them and it will also invalidate the insurance. I think the manufacturer's are not bothered about getting then certified because of costly and bureacratic processes involved and also because of perceived low sales volumes.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why cant HONDA think of such an option for the ACCORD at a modest premium if they find it so difficult to bring in the diesel power plants ?
One correction here. Honda and modest premium don't go together. Even in my wildest dreams I cannot think of a day when Honda would provide us with CNG/LPG options for its cars. They'll say, buy the hybrid and price its 2 times the price of a non hybrid car.

On the other hand, I think the Cedia is available in LPG/CNG model and so is the Toyota Innova in CNG.
Old 27th May 2009, 18:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
LPG & ride quality ? Do you mean every time you press the accelerator the gas goes boom & shakes the car all over ?
That's funny.
is that the only way the ride quality can decrease?this is funny too
Old 28th May 2009, 00:52   #13
BHPian

Is it ok to CNGfy a Honda City 2009? Will it accomodate a 60 ltr/kg cylinder? My weekly drive cycle stretches 800 kms.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:30   #14
BHPian

for 800kms CNG will not be that great an option. Moreover if you put in a 60kg cylinder boot space will be reduced a lot. Why not try some diesel option?
Old 28th May 2009, 12:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why cant HONDA think of such an option for the ACCORD at a modest premium if they find it so difficult to bring in the diesel power plants ?
Are you modestly thinking of upgrading from your OHC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks