Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 3 Door Hatch or a 5 Door?
3 Door 70 45.45%
5 Door 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 11:12   #16
BHPian

Standard Herald two door

Malgudi,

Standard Motors made Herald two door convertibles and sedans in sixties.
Hatches were not made those days.
They were popular among young people and in movies.
You can get one if you try hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are 3 Door Hatches not launched in Indian Market-1961-standard-herald-side.jpg  

Why are 3 Door Hatches not launched in Indian Market-redher.jpg  

Old 31st May 2009, 11:18   #17
BHPian

Hyundai manufactures a 3 door version of its i20 hatch in its chennai plant. But sadly its only for exports.
Hope Hyundai tries some "limited edition" stint with it here soon!
Old 31st May 2009, 12:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Hyundai manufactures a 3 door version of its i20 hatch in its chennai plant. But sadly its only for exports.
Hope Hyundai tries some "limited edition" stint with it here soon!
Maruti produces the 3 door A-Star too. Earlier they also produced the 3 door 800, Zen & Alto (All sold as the Alto). Only the Zen 3 door was sold in India. The 3 door Swift is manufactured elswhere, Hungary I think.
Old 31st May 2009, 13:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have been bleating in this forum for years that anything pleasing to the eye, aesthetic, sporty ,streamlined or performance oriented will never find favor among the Indian masses and this applies to automobiles also. Why even bother debating this any further?.
Old 31st May 2009, 14:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I have been bleating in this forum for years that anything pleasing to the eye, aesthetic, sporty ,streamlined or performance oriented will never find favor among the Indian masses and this applies to automobiles also. Why even bother debating this any further?.
If what you said is true, why did you even bother to post. The very fact that this thread exists means there are people who are interested.
Old 31st May 2009, 14:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

there are two door cars for sale in india
The REVA Electric Car Company - Home Page
SAN MOTORS
Old 31st May 2009, 16:11   #22
BHPian

@ Greenhorn : I believe people here are interested in 2 door cars and not 2 door jokes :P
Old 31st May 2009, 16:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

^lol!!

San storm has the potential! but the company itself ain't interested!

this brings me back to my previous question. Is it possible to acquire a car meant for export!?
Old 31st May 2009, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
SAN MOTORS
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
@ Greenhorn : I believe people here are interested in 2 door cars and not 2 door jokes :P
What's the joke here. Both the cars are 2 door but a niche cars. That's why many may not want them. 3 door versions of mainstream cars will have quite a few takers.
Old 31st May 2009, 20:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Reva is appealing only because its an electric vehicle! (OT- reva is damn fast for a electric car. I saw a reva doing 80+ on DND flyway!!)

I know quite a few people who are reluctant to buy reva because it looks kinda odd on the road!

I pray that some manufacturer hears our plea and releases some descent 3-doors.
Old 31st May 2009, 21:31   #26
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I know quite a few people who are reluctant to buy reva because it looks kinda odd on the road!
Nope! It's because of its price. Well mainly!

On the topic. bigger front doors, no rear doors. Cost difference of 10-15k.

If both 5 door and 3 door are available at a little price difference, why would someone choose not to have those 2 extra doors!

Well, don't open them, if you don't need to!
Old 1st June 2009, 09:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
How many people are going to buy a 3-door car in India? Assuming all us enthusiasts buy one, thats still a very insignificant number to a manufacturer.

Forget a 3-door hatch, the Sierra also suffered for being 3-doored inspite of being a capable vehicle.

The Zen Carbon/Steel were never originally meant for India, but left-over export stock that Maruti was stuck with. That they launched a brilliant campaign to sell this stock, is a different matter altogether.
Mag, the zen carbon & steel were launched in the nineties & they still sold (may be due to maruti's ads). Case in point if the manufacturers are ready to roll out 8L so called premium hatches, why not a 3 Door hatch? None of the manufacturers would have even dreamt in their wildest of dreams of rolling out 8L premium B+ hatches in nineties. They still manufacture them for export, why not roll them out in India as limited versions & test out the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Not true. there are still cars launched for the performance oriented enthusiasts. e.g Skoda VRS, Honda Accord V6 and people buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
SAN MOTORS
Greenhorn, Reva sells only because it is a electric car. I am sure if someone had made the same body shell on any other car it would have been the first to be displayed in weird & wacky thread . And San strom is more like a joke. You never know when it would fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
If both 5 door and 3 door are available at a little price difference, why would someone choose not to have those 2 extra doors!
SLK, As I said, in the age group 18-30, people look out for cars that have sporty appearance and not plan like I need 5 door car because down the line I need to start a family and would need the extra 2 doors.

Last edited by malgudi : 1st June 2009 at 09:17.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:28   #28
BHPian

I can think of one reason -- to allow balding, greying, bulging tummy chauffer driven owners like me to get in and out of the rear seats -- it would be highly uncomfortable if i have to roll in from the rear access door or if my driver has to push and pull me out of the front door everytime.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Simple reason - People buy low cost car are conscious about the space utilization and they need space for 5 people with easy access to seats.

We cannot expect 2 Seat or 4/5 seat three door Hatches which a first time buyer or daily commuter who buys a car for his family use will consider for practical use. They are considered as life style vehicles.

You either should be a bachelor, stay away from your family or a 3 door saloon or hatch should be your 3rd ot 4th car for your personal leisure drives.
Old 1st June 2009, 12:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Nope! It's because of its price. Well mainly!

On the topic. bigger front doors, no rear doors. Cost difference of 10-15k.

Well, don't open them, if you don't need to!
I totally agree with the fact that reva is real cr@ppy for its cost.

but i'd still prefer a 3 door cuz its 10-15k cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Mag, the zen carbon & steel were launched in the nineties & they still sold (may be due to maruti's ads). Case in point if the manufacturers are ready to roll out 8L so called premium hatches, why not a 3 Door hatch? None of the manufacturers would have even dreamt in their wildest of dreams of rolling out 8L premium B+ hatches in nineties. They still manufacture them for export, why not roll them out in India as limited versions & test out the market?
Exactly my point.

At least they should try to find out the customer interest in such 3-door cars.

They just think that everyone needs to stuff up their car with as many people as possible in India.

Well, for that we already have huge SUVs and Omni's and what not.
At least dedicate one section of cars to the enthusiasts.

And if they try to release a performance car they should make it as per international spec with 3-doors and all the bling bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Not true. there are still cars launched for the performance oriented enthusiasts. e.g Skoda VRS, Honda Accord V6 and people buy them.
Thats right.
As far as I know, there was a huge demand for Skoda vRS but it was discontinued! Don't know why!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks