Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 3 Door Hatch or a 5 Door?
3 Door 70 45.45%
5 Door 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 10:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

It Is really difficult to in and out in 2 door cars.you will like it for 1st few days. i hate it because i am doing this everyday. i hate to sit at the back seat.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

3 door hatchbacks would have actually made market sense if there were a lot of young independent self driven car buyers, with other bigger cars at their disposal when it is required.
Also, 60-70 % of the cars I see on road are chauffered - and as evident from my daily sightings, some people sure dont like to share the front row with the chauffer!(and with that also cannot imagine bending into a cramped rear seat while the chauffer enjoys a plush drivers' seat!)

Last edited by blackasta : 20th July 2010 at 10:16.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget that the good old "Dolphin" was a two door hatch! I had one and loved it. But getting to the back seat was a pain, especially for my parents.

Moreover two door cars are perceived as low status in India - unless they are gull wing doors like some Toyota models! For this reason Sipani,the makers of Dolphin brought out a four door model called Montana but failed miserably!
Old 20th July 2010, 10:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think 3-door ones should've been here already!

ppl like me who are almost always alone in the cars have no use for the rear seats except to keep some stuff etc. would've really benefited in the 3-door vehicle conditions!

+ removing the rear doors + rear seats = massive weight reduction = performance boost in a stock car! + companies save money!
I just don't understand why aren't they making them available to indian buyers!?

AFAIK, Hyundai i20's 3-door variant is being manufactured here, but only for export purposes! at least give it as an option to Indian customers! Heck, I'd even buy it for a premium!

Unfortunately, all we get is leftovers! :(

Last edited by sohail99 : 20th July 2010 at 10:27.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

ppl like me who are almost always alone in the cars have no use for the rear seats except to keep some stuff etc. would've really benefited in the 3-door vehicle conditions!
Same here

Quote:
Happened once with zen. Lets hope some other manufacturer misses some export orders and releases the stock in India.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

India is a big country.
India has a large population.
India has large families.
Indian families travel together.
Indian families pack for a fortnight for a weekend outing.
Indian like everything in numbers, more the better.

The list can go on and on.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

^ Therefore, more BHP the better!!

seems like companies are neglecting the BHPs and replacing it with seats and doors! LOL!

anyways, I hope 3-door Hyundai i20's miss some export orders! I'm even willing to buy another 3-door one!
Old 20th July 2010, 15:24   #83
BHPian

Quote:

+ removing the rear doors + rear seats = massive weight reduction = performance boost in a stock car! + companies save money!
I just don't understand why aren't they making them available to indian buyers!?

AFAIK, Hyundai i20's 3-door variant is being manufactured here, but only for export purposes! at least give it as an option to Indian customers! Heck, I'd even buy it for a premium!

Dear don't feel sad a simple DIY solution :
1. Remove rear seats
2. Lock rear doors and remove door handles
3. Use cosmetics for enhanced view at rear door corners e.g. Graphic stickers etc.
4. 'N'joy performance boost of your adorable car
5. Use your hard earned money instead companies save money!

Cheers
Old 20th July 2010, 15:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

In a country where people travel by sitting in every square inch of an automobile's seating space, why do we need two door hatches?!! Do we require this thread at all?
Old 20th July 2010, 23:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
In a country where people travel by sitting in every square inch of an automobile's seating space, why do we need two door hatches?!! Do we require this thread at all?
I honestly hope you were being sarcastic there
Old 21st July 2010, 00:56   #86
Team-BHP Support

While it does sound nice and rosy, is there really a market for 3-door hatches in our country? How many people in India are ready to put down 5 lakhs for a two-door hatch knowing very well that there is a five-door variant at the same price?

In India, more is better. It's precisely why premium hatches haven't caught on yet; and I'm not talking about the i20 and the Jazz. They might be referred to as 'premium' hatches in our market, but truth be told, they are just super-minis!

70% of the people looking to buy a hatch in our country happen to buy a hatch, not because they want one, but because they can't buy a sedan. In European countries however, it doesn't work like that. People buy hatches for it's practicality and versatility and the fact that it's a hatch! It generally happens to be their second or third car.

I reckon the launch and response of a three-door hatch in our market would meet the same fate that several other niche products have met with in the past, for example, the Skoda Octavia Combi.
Old 21st July 2010, 01:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
How many people in India are ready to put down 5 lakhs for a two-door hatch knowing very well that there is a five-door variant at the same price?
At the same price ? There might be takers. Young just married, DINKS, elderly couples with kids having their own cars. But, at the same price.
Quote:
In India, more is better.
What, in the case of number of doors ? Nope I don't think so.
Quote:
70% of the people looking to buy a hatch in our country happen to buy a hatch, not because they want one, but because they can't buy a sedan.
Nope, there are quite a few who buy them for the practicality, and that of the traffic conditions. I don't think there are majority who buy hatches because they are not able to pay for sedans.
Quote:
In European countries however, it doesn't work like that. People buy hatches for it's practicality and versatility and the fact that it's a hatch!
Here too!
Quote:
I reckon the launch and response of a three-door hatch in our market would meet the same fate that several other niche products have met with in the past, for example, the Skoda Octavia Combi.
Not if it is launched in the same price. Which is wishful, but even it did it will sell in ok numbers. I am not saying that it will set sales on fire but just that some pieces will sell.
But will manufacturers invest in them. It depends of how they evalute the market for 2 doored vehicles. Limited edition, yes. Manufactured, no. Imported, maybe.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 21st July 2010 at 01:15.
Old 21st July 2010, 01:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

I too bought a hatch due to practicality(one of the reasons! 1st one being - I fell in love with it!) and due to the reason that I will be alone in the car most of the times, so no need for a sedan!

Many of my relatives still believe that the bigger the car - richer the person!(Indian mentality)
If that's true, what about the new Ford Focus ST buyers!!?

My dad was ready to give me a Scorpio lol!! but again, parking space is a bigger luxury than the car itself! so I had to go for a more practical/beautiful solution!

and I'm ready buy a 3 door i20 even if it comes for the same price as a 5-door version!!

just my opinion! pls don't flame me!
Old 21st July 2010, 01:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Absolutely! I say, ban all the cars(especially 2 door hatches) in india. Let there be a van or minibus for every street(if two streets combine, they can even buy a bus and so on.) and each person can plan their travel needs together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
While it does sound nice and rosy, is there really a market for 3-door hatches in our country? How many people in India are ready to put down 5 lakhs for a two-door hatch knowing very well that there is a five-door variant at the same price?

In India, more is better. It's precisely why premium hatches haven't caught on yet; and I'm not talking about the i20 and the Jazz. They might be referred to as 'premium' hatches in our market, but truth be told, they are just super-minis!

70% of the people looking to buy a hatch in our country happen to buy a hatch, not because they want one, but because they can't buy a sedan. In European countries however, it doesn't work like that. People buy hatches for it's practicality and versatility and the fact that it's a hatch! It generally happens to be their second or third car.

I think with affordability comes practicality. Until then everything seems like a compromise. We are getting there..

Last edited by gshanky : 21st July 2010 at 01:25. Reason: merging posts
Old 21st July 2010, 01:37   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

you stil didn't get it? Indians don't want it. except for a few like you. but you can always customize it to your taste, as somebody else mentioned.

Quote:
^ Therefore, more BHP the better!!

seems like companies are neglecting the BHPs and replacing it with seats and doors! LOL!
and you want to neglect the seats and doors and replace them with BHPs. why don't you send this idea to marketing division of hyundai, a two seater, or better still, single seater car. we will see who laughs out loud

Quote:
Many of my relatives still believe that the bigger the car - richer the person!(Indian mentality)
If that's true, what about the new Ford Focus ST buyers!!?
and why is that Indian mentality? Americans are more obsessed with size than Indians, just count the word "big" in american corporate literature. Some indians may not be aware of premium brands, but that is lack of knowledge, not mentality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks