Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 3 Door Hatch or a 5 Door?
3 Door 70 45.45%
5 Door 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 01:57   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
At the same price ? There might be takers. Young just married, DINKS, elderly couples with kids having their own cars. But, at the same price.
Very few takers, believe me! The number of 3-door hatches would be 10% at the most IMO. When a customer in India gets an additional two doors for the same price (give or take) he would go in for it in a heartbeat.

Quote:
What, in the case of number of doors ? Nope I don't think so.
I know several, and I mean several people who had walked away from the Chevrolet Beat just because it seemed to have two-doors/three-doors.

Quote:
Nope, there are quite a few who buy them for the practicality, and that of the traffic conditions. I don't think there are majority who buy hatches because they are not able to pay for sedans.
Quote:
Here too!
There are definitely quite a number of people who buy hatches for the purpose of practicality and versatility. These people already have their first parking space occupied by a larger car. Whereas, people who can afford to occupy only one slot and that too by a hatchback, happen to own a hatch because they simply cannot own a sedan. It's just the mindset.

Quote:
Not if it is launched in the same price. Which is wishful, but even it did it will sell in ok numbers. I am not saying that it will set sales on fire but just that some pieces will sell.
But will manufacturers invest in them. It depends of how they evalute the market for 2 doored vehicles. Limited edition, yes. Manufactured, no. Imported, maybe.
Maruti, Hyundai and several other companies are more interested in volumes rather than limited edition 3-door hatches. There is no reason why a 3-door Swift should be more expensive than its 5-door counterpart. If it happens to be, people aren't going to give it a second look; and I'm speaking for the general public and not us enthusiasts. And if it happens to be priced similarly, people might give it a glance, but would evaluate the pros of having 5-doors over 3-doors at the same price. Again, it's the mindset!

Old 21st July 2010, 01:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the Zen 2-door versions sold out in no time whereas the Zen Classic languished in showrooms.

It works only if you have another car in the family. Not for people who have to transport their aged parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I reckon the launch and response of a three-door hatch in our market would meet the same fate that several other niche products have met with in the past, for example, the Skoda Octavia Combi.
Wagon = low image+high practicality
2 dr hatch = hi image+low practicality

Considering the Wagon has been rejected by Indians, you should get an idea on which direction the customer is heading.

Quote:
But will manufacturers invest in them. It depends of how they evalute the market for 2 doored vehicles. Limited edition, yes. Manufactured, no. Imported, maybe.
Many of the 2 door hatches are manufactured in India for export. (like the Zen). Launching them is a piece of cake. Even if if flops v.little money will be lost, if any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you stil didn't get it? Indians don't want it. except for a few like you.
& also you? just did I believe..and your an Indian.

Last edited by Mpower : 21st July 2010 at 02:26.
Old 21st July 2010, 02:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you stil didn't get it? Indians don't want it. except for a few like you. but you can always customize it to your taste, as somebody else mentioned.

and you want to neglect the seats and doors and replace them with BHPs. why don't you send this idea to marketing division of hyundai, a two seater, or better still, single seater car. we will see who laughs out loud

and why is that Indian mentality? Americans are more obsessed with size than Indians, just count the word "big" in american corporate literature. Some indians may not be aware of premium brands, but that is lack of knowledge, not mentality.

Fine ban it and stuff! but at least keep the '3-door option' open!!
Old 21st July 2010, 12:09   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I reckon the launch and response of a three-door hatch in our market would meet the same fate that several other niche products have met with in the past, for example, the Skoda Octavia Combi.
Remember TATA SIERA? It had 2 doors and still was a hit. So we cannot say a 3 door hatch will bomb in the market and mite also do some good numbers.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whereas, people who can afford to occupy only one slot and that too by a hatchback, happen to own a hatch because they simply cannot own a sedan. It's just the mindset.
It is purely a question of economics, where does mindset come in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Remember TATA SIERA? It had 2 doors and still was a hit. So we cannot say a 3 door hatch will bomb in the market and mite also do some good numbers.
Applying the same logic, will you call the Safari and Scorpio five door hatches?
Old 21st July 2010, 14:11   #96
Senior - BHPian

IN US & Europe, mostly there are 1 or 2 persons in the car at a time. Rarely they have more than 2 persons in hatches. SO for them its convenient.

Whereas in India, we mostly use them as family car where 5 or more seats SO with 2 doors its difficult. Thats the reason we dont have 2 door cars.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Applying the same logic, will you call the Safari and Scorpio five door hatches?
I think he means that people are willing to forgo the practicality of rear doors for the image factor
Old 21st July 2010, 18:36   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I shall, at this point, ask a pertinent question.

Mr. Sharma who stays in New Delhi is ready to put down 8 lakhs on a car that would serve him well for a number of years. His priorities are simple. He wants good comfort, good economy and peace of mind. He rarely travels outside the city and prefers to drive himself. The body style doesn't matter.

His neighbour, Mr. Patel, owns a big Maruti SX4. Now, Mr. Sharma would look like a complete twit if he buys the top-of-the-line Polo (even though it suits him to the tee and is oh-so perfect) so he goes ahead and buys a big car with a big boot to justify the hefty price tag even though he doesn't need it.

Similarly, if you were given a budget of 25 lakhs and you were asked to choose between a Golf or a Jetta, which one would you choose? 80% of the people in India would go in for the Jetta just because it has a big boot.

That is mindset.
Old 21st July 2010, 18:48   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Ok this brings another twist. Let say this: If it is a fresh design and a new launch all together with 2 doors, it might sell well. If the car already has a 4 door version and a 2 door is introduced it will not sell as well as the one in the first case.

Quote:
Finally, some sense.

Quote:
Similarly, if you were given a budget of 25 lakhs and you were asked to choose between a Golf or a Jetta, which one would you choose? 80% of the people in India would go in for the Jetta just because it has a big boot.

That is mindset.
There is one more parameter here. First car or Second car. If someone has a massively booted car already then Golf wouldn't be bad idea for practicality purposes only.
Old 21st July 2010, 20:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

@Suhaas
Most people buy a hatch because it is the only car they can afford. And you can be sure it will not be any fancy hatch either - it will mostly be a sub 5 lac rupee one. Even if they can pick a used sedan for the same price, they will not,because of the associated running costs.

A smaller minority will buy a hatch as their only car even though they may have more purchasing power. They may have parking space constraints at home or live in a crowded part of the city where a hatch will be more convenient. A still smaller minority might buy a hatch as their second or third car, and these people alone can be the target market for a two door hatch!

As for mindset, if I am given Rs 25 lac to buy a car, I will sell my Alto, buy a Jazz and invest the balance! BTW I have acres of space to park a sedan at home!
Old 21st July 2010, 20:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
AFAIK, the Zen 2-door versions sold out in no time whereas the Zen Classic languished in showrooms.
Actually the Zen Carbon & Zen Steel (2 door variants) were limited number modes (200 of each) Apparently they had an export Surplus which they sold here as Limited editions.

Coming back to discussions a 5 door car is more practical, Countries where each person has his/her own car are more favorable for the 3 door cars.

Other than that its the 2 seater sports cars
Old 21st July 2010, 22:29   #102
Senior - BHPian

I agree, I was being selfish in demanding a 3-door hatch here!

looks like I'll have to import one! maybe I can get something from Eur!
Old 21st July 2010, 22:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

& also you? just did I believe..and your an Indian.

no actually, I included myself with rest of the indians. frankly I never understood the craze behind 2 doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I agree, I was being selfish in demanding a 3-door hatch here!

looks like I'll have to import one! maybe I can get something from Eur!
self centered would be more apt here, by demanding a 2 door hatch, you were not hurting others chances.

why not customize the cars available already?

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 21st July 2010 at 22:32.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:01   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Suhaas
Most people buy a hatch because it is the only car they can afford. And you can be sure it will not be any fancy hatch either - it will mostly be a sub 5 lac rupee one. Even if they can pick a used sedan for the same price, they will not,because of the associated running costs.

A smaller minority will buy a hatch as their only car even though they may have more purchasing power. They may have parking space constraints at home or live in a crowded part of the city where a hatch will be more convenient. A still smaller minority might buy a hatch as their second or third car, and these people alone can be the target market for a two door hatch!

As for mindset, if I am given Rs 25 lac to buy a car, I will sell my Alto, buy a Jazz and invest the balance! BTW I have acres of space to park a sedan at home!
Wholeheartedly! This is exactly what I was trying to put across! Most hatchbacks are bought by people who can't afford a sedan, even though they'd prefer to buy a sedan over a hatchback. And the majority who buy a hatchback would want four doors + the boot. It will serve as a family car. And a family car with 3-doors just wouldn't work, would it?

Some people prefer to spend 8 lakhs on a sedan rather than a hatchback even if they actually don't need a car with a boot. This is because a car with a boot provides a certain psychological advantage to the owner over a hatchback, even if the hatchback in question (Honda Jazz, Hyundai i20..) falls in the same price bracket.

And fewer people buy hatchbacks and keep them as their 2nd or 3rd car. The only people who would buy a 3-door hatch are those who are looking to fill up their 2nd or 3rd parking space. And frankly, only 10% of the vehicle owning crowd would consider a 3-door hatch.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:34   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
self centered would be more apt here, by demanding a 2 door hatch, you were not hurting others chances.

why not customize the cars available already?
Well since I'm not the family man types, 2 door hatch is the practical option for me aint it?

most of all, I always prefer the external beauty of the vehicle(2-door ones definitely look cooler)

I'm not saying that companies just stop producing 5 door ones!
Heck, even let them produce Double Decker hatches for family ppl or a stretch hatch with like 6-7 doors, I dont care!

Is making the 2-door option available to potential buyers in India such a tough task??(even though they ARE manufactured in India?)
Even on 'available on order only' basis??

I bet that those 2-door models(made for export) might be even a notch or two better than the ones specifically build for India! (Eur standards are high after all!)

vivekiny2k pls don't flame me for this! (just my point of view)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks