12 + 6 6.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 21:04   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoB View Post
I have a i10 Sportz AT that is 11 months old. Great city car - mostly used by my wife and the odo has about 1000 km only on it. Since my wife has been driving regularly only in the last 1 year, she has been getting only 9-10 kmpl. as her style of driving involves more start stop.

I have noticed that if I drive it returns about 11 kmpl - all city driving in Hyderabad with the AC on all the time. I am generally gentle on the pedals.

Not bad for a great running car!

Totally agree. Mine is exactly like yours. Around 1000km for the last 8-9 months a Sportz AT. But I drive it very rare. Wife takes it out once in a while. I am seeing the efficiency in the range of 9-10. Never taken it to the highways, as there is an elder brother in the house !
Old 25th March 2010, 21:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

@ autoB and ampere

I guess more usage would free up the engine and lead to better mileage.
Old 26th March 2010, 07:12   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@ autoB and ampere

I guess more usage would free up the engine and lead to better mileage.
I do agree, but some how I don't take it out much. Also of late my weekend city driving has reduced quite a lot. That has brought it down further !
Old 31st March 2010, 22:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Got the first full tank refill today. Mileage came out as 9.8 kmpl. This is with 70% AC and 50% of the distance the car was driven by my wife who is a beginner.

Here's a tip: In order to move to the topmost gear as soon as possible, keep lifting your foot off the accelerator pedal for a fraction of a second before rpm needle reaches the shift points.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

WooHoo!!
Another refill and this time around got 10.8 kmpl!! Same driving conditions.
I've never been this bothered about FE. Strange what a li'l hatch can do.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:19   #126
BHPian

I finished 1 year 7K kms in my i10 Sportz. 3 Services are done with engine oil and filter changed at 2nd and 3rd service.

I never got a FE more than 8.5 in Bangalore City. Although I'm very happy with the car's performance and comfort, I'm little disappointed with its FE in city. If I use 100% AC then the FE harldy touches 8 kms/l.
Old 10th May 2010, 21:13   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
WooHoo!!
Another refill and this time around got 10.8 kmpl!! Same driving conditions.
I've never been this bothered about FE. Strange what a li'l hatch can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
I finished 1 year 7K kms in my i10 Sportz. 3 Services are done with engine oil and filter changed at 2nd and 3rd service.

I never got a FE more than 8.5 in Bangalore City. Although I'm very happy with the car's performance and comfort, I'm little disappointed with its FE in city. If I use 100% AC then the FE harldy touches 8 kms/l.

Wonder why this is the case - I never got less than 9.5 in my car from day 1.
Was regularly extracting anything between 12 and 13.5 before I left India a month back - and thats with 50% AC with fan speed at 2 all the time.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:22   #128
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody done a CNG/LPG conversion on the i10/Santro AT. That would make a superb commuter + low running cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
I am getting only 8.5 in city with cautious driving and car has done about 1500 km now.
Quote:
Here's a tip: In order to move to the topmost gear as soon as possible, keep lifting your foot off the accelerator pedal for a fraction of a second before rpm needle reaches the shift points.
Yes, but you just need to back off the pedal a littlebit and not lift completely. You can watch the rpms drop indicating that it just upshifted. (in older cars you will get a jerk)
Old 11th May 2010, 07:12   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Has anybody done a CNG/LPG conversion on the i10/Santro AT.
That's not legal currently. It hasn't got the RTO approval for that conversion.

Quote:
That would make a superb commuter + low running cost?
Disagree. Given the pathetic boot size, this will lose the practicality aspect of this car entirely.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:19   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Wonder why this is the case - I never got less than 9.5 in my car from day 1.
Was regularly extracting anything between 12 and 13.5 before I left India a month back - and thats with 50% AC with fan speed at 2 all the time.
These days my wife is driving the car, mainly in bumper to bumper traffic, with 100% AC and yet she is getting 9+.

Quote:
Yes, but you just need to back off the pedal a littlebit and not lift completely. You can watch the rpms drop indicating that it just upshifted. (in older cars you will get a jerk)
Oh yeah, thats what i meant, back off the pedal a bit. Thanks for making it clearer. But one should take care that the engine isn't lugging either.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:39   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post

That's not legal currently. It hasn't got the RTO approval for that conversion.
Seriously, why so ? I mean is the restriction only for the Santro/i10 AT ? Coz, i've seen many OHC/NHC ATs on CNG, even the Esteem / Zen AXs on CNG.

Can you throw some more light ? I've been thinking about this.

Quote:
Disagree. Given the pathetic boot size, this will lose the practicality aspect of this car entirely.
Depends.
99 times out of 100, I am pretty much driving by myself with my office bag, on the Automatic, thru city clogs.
Even the other seats are left unused.
The boot is opened only by the security checks and not otherwise.

It would make a whole lot of sense if it were to get my running costs to like 50% of what I spend on petrol today.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:46   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
But one should take care that the engine isn't lugging either.
Did not get that.

Why should the engine lug in an automatic? If the gear is high for that speed, it will downshift by itself.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:51   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Why should the engine lug in an automatic? If the gear is high for that speed, it will downshift by itself.
Ideally yes. But the i10's downshifting is not as precise as upshifting. Sometimes you will hear a rumbling kind of sound coming from the car when the gear is high for the speed.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:04   #134
BHPian

Within city its 8-10 depending upon driving habit, temperature outside(summer/winter day/night) determining load on AC which is on 80-100% of the time except maybe in winter.

Here's the surprising part,on the highway and I mean on a long drive,say greater than 50km at a strech mileage is an incredible 13-15 likewise depending upon above mentioned conditions.

I deduce that the main factor affecting the AT mileage is gear shifts.On the highway speed is mostly above 60 atleast and hence the car stays in 4th gear most of the time without shifting a lot.
So if you want better mileage in the city,make use of the O/D feature and maybe even L1 and L2.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:07   #135
BHPian

The mileage I get in Bangalore city is around 8 km/ltr or sometimes 9 km/ltr. Thats a max even without AC. I use Shell Premium petrol as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks