Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 17:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you are employed, take a letter from your company, they usually accept it or your gas connection, if its in your name. Otherwise an affidavit for address.
Old 1st June 2009, 19:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Lalvaz, you are right. See I have a passport with Gujarat address. They wont take it. I have a rental lease which they wont accept as proof of my residence in Chandigarh. They wont accept my airtel broadband nor my TATA bill as address proof.
I think you can try giving a affidavit for address proof attested by a notary public. This is valid in chennai and I have registered a couple of cars using a affidavit.
Old 1st June 2009, 19:50   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am not talking about insurance yet, because it needs an RC.
RC needs insurance, not the other way around. Plus, no dealer will deliver an uninsured car even if it is unregistered.
Old 1st June 2009, 21:43   #19
D-Man

thank you all for assisting me in this regards. Yes insurance guys did not need anything from me besides money. Jai you think i should try Affidavit? Dadu you are right about employer letters but they recently changed it. I inquired about it in bangalore too and they said now they have stopped accepting it.

Old 2nd June 2009, 09:57   #20
BANNED

Chandigarh is a funny insular place. Some years ago a friend relocated to Chandigarh. When he went to pay his Advance Tax the system will not accept the PAN - he has been using this PAN for a long time and never had problems in Kanpur or Hyderabad.

Finally, it transpired that they had blocked all non- Chandigarh PANs. What more can one say.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Try for BSNL mobile/broadband connection bill or HPCL/BPCL/IOCL Gas Cylinder bill
As these are government owned services, these are accepted as address proof even for passport applications.

if required take a BSNL connection.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:54   #22
D-Man

Star you are right. I just came to post a solution to this problem. BSNL has something called IP TV where you pay 2500 and get your connection faster than anyone else as there is a sales person involved. You have to wait 1 month before you get the bill though. But Bingo! thats the address proof.

Thank you everyone for taking the pains to help me out here. I have found a complete solution to this problem. Mods if you wish you can close this thread.

RC:

Legally in chandigarh RC cannot be made without a firm address proof. The reason why norms are so strict is due to the type of ministry we have here PLUS chandigarh has nothing like ROAD TAX! the only problem occurs when your postal address in chandigarh is falling in haryana or punjab. For the ones who are not aware chandigarh is geographically spread in haryana and punjab. Hence a firm proof is required to avail this added benefit. So people can really buy expensive cars and save thousands if it gets registered in chandigarh. I was not aware of this since I am new in Chandigarh and India both.

Address proof:

Kudos to Star to post a response before I do; easiest way to get away with address proof is BSNL but easier than that is IP TV where a sales guy comes to your home and you dont have to deal with trauma of BSNL office. Easiest solution for people who are renting and dont have Gas/ electric connection in their name.

Selling:

A car can be sold without an RC ! If the bill is in your name and you atleast have a passport; an affidavit can be made in the name of the buyer that you are selling the car to Mr Joe Bloe. You have been unable to register the car with RTO due to unavoildable circumstances. This car is free and clear of any lien to be transferred in their name. Wordings of those types can authorize the person to get the RC in their name.

Dealership wont change the billing address nor the buyer information on the invoice hence its not an option.

Lein:

If you have a loan with above stated steps the car can be sold but yet the proceeds goes to only the bank no one else as you shall need an NOC from the Bank before the car can be sold.

Disclaimer: The above stated details is a collection of information i gained by contacting several dealers, RTO officers, Bank officers, Agents. It is true to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by D-Man : 2nd June 2009 at 11:59. Reason: grammer

Old 2nd June 2009, 12:03   #23
BANNED

@D-man: Glad you sorted this out at last.

As for the Lien please make sure that the new buyer gets the car transferred as soon as the NOC is received from the finance company. Apparently the RTO has the signatures of the current Manager on file, and if there is a change, while you are sitting on the papers, then the paper has to be countersigned by new chap.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:24   #24
D-Man

@Sgitk: Could have missed out! thanks a lot.

Most Viewed