Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 15:09   #1
D-Man

Can I sell my car without RC book?

Hi all,

I moved to India a few months back and did not have enough address proof. I yet purchased a 800 brand new. They gave me a temp number which is expired as of now. Getting a new RC is a pain since the norms in Chandigarh are a bit too tight and bribing has become out of question. I dont want to keep this car anymore as it was my transition vehical anyways. Can I sell the car without RC Book? My home state has my address proof and I am thinking to buy another car there as proof is not a issue. I cant even drive this 800 as there are just too many cops in Chandigarh. Please advice.

Thanks in advance for your efforts to enlighten me.

Last edited by D-Man : 1st June 2009 at 15:11.

Old 1st June 2009, 15:13   #2
BHPian

you cant sell the car without a RC book. The reason is that you will not be able to transfer the car to the buyers name without a RC book in place.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:24   #3
BANNED

Since you have a temporary registration, there should be some documentation which should be able to get a RC quite reasonably. If there is none then the car dealer should be able to do a direct transfer from him to the new owner.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:31   #4
D-Man

SGIITK, I have sale letters and insurance documents. The documents provided by dealership is not enough since the RTO needs address proof. Car dealers would sell car to anyone and so will the bank. Imagine this the car has a loan from HDFC. All that happened without any of the address proofs which RTO needs.

Old 1st June 2009, 15:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
SGIITK, I have sale letters and insurance documents. The documents provided by dealership is not enough since the RTO needs address proof. Car dealers would sell car to anyone and so will the bank. Imagine this the car has a loan from HDFC. All that happened without any of the address proofs which RTO needs.
Would the bank not need a address before approving a loan?
Old 1st June 2009, 16:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

No you cannot

btw how on earth were you able to drive around in this car in chandigarh without a RC
Old 1st June 2009, 16:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
No you cannot

btw how on earth were you able to drive around in this car in chandigarh without a RC
Temporary number sirji
Old 1st June 2009, 16:12   #8
BANNED

I am foxed. If you can get a temporary registration, then why not a permanent one! May be the RTO was not properly 'oiled' by the dealer. RTOs nationwide are notorious for this.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Temporary number sirji
but for how long
my cousin's swift was running around on temp no,i knw how many times he was stopped by cops
Old 1st June 2009, 16:17   #10
BANNED

You bought a car on loan from HDFC without an address proof??

Further the dealer sold you the car without an address proof again, without registering and on a temp number on which they are not supposed to sell.

I am not talking about insurance yet, because it needs an RC.

This is a new one for me. But how?

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st June 2009 at 16:19.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
but for how long
my cousin's swift was running around on temp no,i knw how many times he was stopped by cops
I bought my car in 2000 it was registered in 2001 December.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You best bet would be to have the dealer register the car in the buyers name. The good thing is that they next buyer will technically be the first owner on the RC book.

Red notes with Gandhiji's picture sometime is sufficient as address proof.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:21   #13
D-Man

irony is Bank approved the loan, Dealer gave me a car, Temp no is given by rto to dealer by default Now RTO says your documents are not good enough for address proof.
Now Bank is demanding a RC.
Each cop that stopped me took anywhere around 20 minutes of my time + threats from a police inspector to impound + Rs 2500 fine negotiated to Rs 150 bribe. I think its too much for a Maruti 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Red notes with Gandhiji's picture sometime is sufficient as address proof.
I know every thing has a price. But in chandigarh things are a little different when it comes to registration.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2009 at 20:50. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of typing one post after another!

Old 1st June 2009, 17:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cant you just use the address proof of your native place or your passport? What documents are they insisting on having to register the car in your name?

Incase its not feasible to transfer the car in your name, ask the dealer to buy back the car at a discount and re-sell it to someone else. Pay the bank and foreclose the loan. Though its a real wonder as to how the bank sanctioned a loan and allowed the dealer to give posession to you without endorsing the RC book. I mean, think about it, if you do run away with the car, how will the bank recover the money due to it. It wont even have any lien over the car which is mandatory in a car loan. Its really a strange case.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:42   #15
D-Man

Lalvaz, you are right. See I have a passport with Gujarat address. They wont take it. I have a rental lease which they wont accept as proof of my residence in Chandigarh. They wont accept my airtel broadband nor my TATA bill as address proof. It really takes a good sales person to get the documents through and thats how i guess they go this loan.
So i asked the bank Can i pay off the loan? they said untill its 6 months you cant pay off the loan. So i said can i sell my car? they said untill 6 months you cant pay off the loan. I reiterated and they said the same thing. So i understood they dont care if i sell the car as long as i make payments on this stupid car.
I havent asked the dealership if they will buy back my car.

Last option: sell car for parts and report it stolen what else. dont know. I feel cheated and sometimes helpless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks