Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2005, 23:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hasopi, if you have more details then why not share them?? That will make discussion of the topic more meaningful.
Old 10th June 2005, 04:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler
Hasopi....I think you can't blame maruti just for this 1 incident.
Firstly, this is not a one off Maruti accident where someone has lost his life. Their cars are terror when it comes to Safety. I completely blame Maruti for that. The reason is for selling crap to us Indians. Forget the Zens, Altos, Esteems, what safety features do they provide in the Baleno. Mind you, its a premium car.

Its a fact and I agree with anshuman that they have fooled us all these years. Mr. Khattar needs to realise that one good Swift is not gonna make up for all the rubbish packages they offered to Indians in the past 5-6 years. They need to work on the other cars too (infact all leaving aside the Wagon R).

They need to learn from Hyundais and Tatas atleast, if not someone else.

Let the soul RIP...
Old 10th June 2005, 09:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
he was in the rear seat- if that is the case, then no seatbelt could have protected him...

all cars after 2002 have rear seat belts as well.and this is compulsory.
Old 10th June 2005, 10:03   #19
BHPian

Thats a very sad incident. My dad and brother own maruti cars and indeed we feel unsafe on highway driving. Now, i know that no car will ever be totally safe but as far as a maruti car is concerned, even a collision with a small vehicle can also proove to be fatal.
Old 10th June 2005, 10:17   #20
BHPian

scraps

All maruti Cars are Zero when it comes to safety aspects.
Their very Build is dubious.
The Indica'a and the palio's are any time better.
Difficult to comment on this accident since we do not know what exactly happened.
But sad news, one precious Human life was lost
Old 10th June 2005, 13:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guys its all about people's mindset, I think i had posted it before how many people here have bought those variants of their current car which has the most Safety features, I mean How Accent\Santro Xing owners have ABS variants, MUL cars sell because they are cheap & so are their parts.

People care for everything except for Safety, i'll tell an example:

2 days back i had gone to Hero Honda service for my bike's papers. There was ZMA which had bad crash & it had fairing damage & also his chasis & exhaust pipe was bent. Guess what the woner told the SS guys " I want the fairing(the full one) done asap i dont mind riding w/o getting the chasis & pipe corrected, apne ko looks se matlab hai"

Now how stupid can anyone get x(
Old 10th June 2005, 13:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
There was ZMA which had bad crash & it had fairing damage & also his chasis & exhaust pipe was bent. Guess what the woner told the SS guys " I want the fairing(the full one) done asap i dont mind riding w/o getting the chasis & pipe corrected, apne ko looks se matlab hai"

Now how stupid can anyone get x(

hehehhe like all those morons who will go for extra wide tires and then raise the height to accomodate those tires.

u put wider tires for better handling and raising the height means handling is worse .

in delhi i have lots of cars with those fake sunroofs that you can stick to the roof

heheeh.

Quote:
Now how stupid can anyone get

you can make a big list of such people.
Old 10th June 2005, 15:03   #23
BANNED

I think all of us need to think twice what are our priorities while buying a car. Lets not get fooled by Cheap advertisements.

We all care for our family..but inadvertently we do not..say while buying a M800 or Zen. It is quite okay for bumper to bumper traffic.

But we do quite a lot of highway trips at speeds which the car cannot save you in case of accidents beacuse it is not designed for that.

If we know any of our friends or relatives planning to buy a car, let us educate them about the Pros & Cons of that car. Let not mileage be the only criteria in making a decision. Infact it should be the least priority.

Unless our society is educated on these aspects, some manufacturers will continue to make money..but at what cost..at the cost of our loved ones
Old 11th June 2005, 10:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasopi
I think all of us need to think twice what are our priorities while buying a car. Lets not get fooled by Cheap advertisements.
I can't disagree with anything you say in your post, but more important than that is....
1. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS - ALWAYS. All vehicles manufactured since April 2004 come with rear seatbelts too. Ensure that all your passengers are wearing their seatbelts. If someone does not, send him/her out of the car. No matter how short the journey, wear your seatbelts.
2. Drive safely. Nuff said.
Old 11th June 2005, 14:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all cars after 2002 have rear seat belts as well.and this is compulsory.
oh, sorry for the glitch there- i quoted the rear seat belt as a different point- i meant that maybe it was a side impact, and that no rear seatbelt could've protected him in case of a side impact, especially in a zen.......
Old 11th June 2005, 14:45   #26
BHPian

hey but the safety features of TATA cars are better than Maruti. Last month I saw an Indica damaged in an accident. The hood was all messed up but the dash was intact and the driver was alive with only minor injuries. Even without the airbags and ABS, Indica is a good car from the safety point of view. The metal used is better I think.

What do u say?
AJO.
Old 11th June 2005, 15:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Because a car uses strong metal in its construiction does not make it safer than the car that weak metal at the crumple zones.

The issue of safety has been discussed many times on team-bhp and i tend to go for the side that says that he initiative to improve safety in cars must come from the buyers like us. Its a case of millions of people buying unsafe marutis rather than maruti selling the unsafe cars to millions of people. Manufacturers have been able to get away with selling us unsafe cars because we want them. THe manufacturers CANNOT force us to buy their cars unless we want to.
Old 11th June 2005, 15:24   #28
BHPian

i think we r ignoring price factor here. If they decide to provide safety features such as ABS, EBD, Traction Control and Airbags in the cars, naturally the price is gonna go up. And we all know that in india, the first question a buyer is concerned about is 'Price?'.
How to deal with that?

AJO.
Old 11th June 2005, 23:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
i totally disagree that it is the persons fault for not wearing a seatbelt and not the car makers.
He was travelling at 40kmph and hit an APE auto.
While he would have been saved if he wore a seatbelt, a proper car costing upwards of 4L should not have been damaged so badly while we should give importance to seatbelt, we should also give importance to the fact that it was a Maruti car and that it should not have been damaged so badly.
If i am right, the Auto was in better shape.
For all you know, he could have been wearing seatbelts.
I am very sure that if the governement introduces Crash testing of the Indian Cars,
the esteem, 800, zen, Omni would not be in production.
It is also really sad to know that in order to save 500 - 1000 bucks a month, people who can afford 4L cars prefer FE over safety.
Old 12th June 2005, 01:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqplus
i think we r ignoring price factor here. If they decide to provide safety features such as ABS, EBD, Traction Control and Airbags in the cars, naturally the price is gonna go up. And we all know that in india, the first question a buyer is concerned about is 'Price?'.
How to deal with that?

AJO.
The only way to deal with that is to get your priorities right....safety first or price...choice is yours...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks