Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:21   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
In those days the indicators were stolen a lot. And most people bought duplicate cheap ones to replace. It was never that the original indicators faded.
Actually, wrong terminoligy on my part. I am not talking about the side indicators which could easily get stolen, but the indicators in the tail lamps
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:27   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No wonder Toyota is where it is today.
Holds true for numerous International markets but not "India"!
I have a Corolla & let me tell you, there are a no. of issues with the car.
Car makers like Toyota are very clever & adapt to the market likewise, they have sensed the Indian car market pretty good & each & every part of theirs comes through rigorous cost cutting & use of scalpel with impunity.
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
There are so many skoda owners here who have their clutches gone just when the car is out of warranty. Add the flywheel to that, and it makes for some expensive repair.
I beg to differ. I have been using my 1.9TDi for the past 4 years and has clocked 1.65L Kms and I am still on the same clutch, never replaced till date. With all due respect to everyone, why blame the clutch if many don't drive properly ? Its a very common thing amongst drivers to drive with 'half-clutch' Is that a design or QC fault ? I don't think so.
Old 4th June 2009, 00:15   #34
BHPian

I completely agree with Tanveer sir, however if the example of TATA is taken their commercial vehicle customers ranging from 407's to the hugely popular 1510/12 Buses,fleet owners and even drivers swear by TATA reliability ( at least in the North) whereas TATA fails to instill such confidence in their car/UV/SUV owners.
What makes it so reliable in one segment and the opposite in the other?
Afterall the company is the same though divided in two seperate divisions.
Old 6th June 2009, 18:40   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Maruti Alto - Premature clutch failure on majority of cars.
Haven't heard about this.
Old 6th June 2009, 18:54   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Haven't heard about this.
My clutch failed at 3000kms. My friends was replaced at 16,000kms. Akroy's clutch failed at 30,000kms.

These are only 3 examples. I know the owner of a MASS and he has told me that the Alto's have this problem.
Old 6th June 2009, 20:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

From my limited experience all I can say is that a trend, a trend of changing a car exterior looks a bit each and every year to keep it fresh was widely misused. Even today in US they have 2008 Camry, 2009 carmy, etc. that are side effects of the philosophy of changing the exteriors every year and making a few minor modifications.

This was again misused by making inferior quality parts and this is widely used everywhere and it is rampant in India.
I feel that each and every manufacturer, yes, each and every manufacturer will price the spares very high. And the quality is not very good. So every now and then one has to change parts, and this leads to very good financial gain for companies and dealers.

Spare parts has become a good bread and butter business of companies, especially in India where the customer is not very well protected by and even if he is, the system is too slow, lethargic and usafe to be walked on.

Yes, I agree with tanveer that most of the times cars are poor engineered deliberately to earn good money from selling spare parts frequently.

The parts I would like to list here that are mostly skimped on are :

1) Rubber parts : Standard rubber parts like tyres and wiperblades are of very poor quality. They will need replacement as soon as one has bought the car. Not all are very well educated and as buying the car is itself luxury, the person who bought the car will be excited and the dealers know how to tap that excitement. They will tell him : upgrade from here sir. And the poor customer will fall into trap.

2) Electricals : They are not very well engineered. Often one has to work out particularly power windows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks