Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is the country where LH outside rearview mirror is an accessory. Most of the cars sold here are LEMONS if you look from safety point of view. With increasing number of vehicle sales time has come for a federal agency to handle these kind of issues.
Old 9th March 2010, 20:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
This is the country where LH outside rearview mirror is an accessory. Most of the cars sold here are LEMONS if you look from safety point of view. With increasing number of vehicle sales time has come for a federal agency to handle these kind of issues.
A lemon is not a bad model. It is a bad example of a particular model. The bad safety record of the cars sold here have nothing to do with this thread.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

It's be nice if someone in the govt. thought about it.

India definitely should have one. But I don't see any reason why the government would spend their energy and our money to ensure our safety. After all, they nor the auto manufacturer's don't benefit anything by amending such a law
Old 10th March 2010, 01:53   #19
BHPian

laws are one thing, implementation is another.

In any case the market eventually rewards better cars and better after sales service Which is why Maruti and Hyundai combined have 70% market share.
Old 10th March 2010, 08:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

1) Theoretically, Yes, we must have some anti-lemon laws. The next obvious question is : Will the law be implemented in proper manner ?

If at all the anti lemon law comes up, I am sure it will give rise to more corruption and then some more corruption. Which of the current laws are followed ? How easy it is to grab a license ? What happens at service center ? I think we all are aware how our vehicles are handled in Service Centers. I think first we need a law stating that if the car was handled badly at service center, a new car has to be given to customer.

2) There is one term in Indian Warranty : " Normal Wear and Tear ". This is the parameter where in the manufacturers can escape. So here also we need refinements. Even if this is done, the case of lemons will come down as companies cannot run away stating that customer handled car badly.

3) Varunroy eventually got just a " repair car " from a court after running a lot. Why so much time ?

Rather than putting in new laws, it would be better if we focus at the existing one and implement the laws properly. On top of that, the entire judicial system has to gather speed without losing on efficiency. This would be sufficient.

EDIT : Can we have a poll on this thread ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th March 2010 at 08:16.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
No we shouldn't have anti Lemon laws. How would i get fresh nimbu paani then ?

But seriously there is the counsumer court for this purpoe. There cannot be a specific to car only regulaatory authority. Heck, we don't even have a real estate regulatory authority in India, forget automobiles.
+1 to that : Could not agree with you more.

Besides : adding such regulatory bodies would only increase the government spending. To meet those expenses the government would look to increase its revenue and the most likely way of achieving it would be to raise taxes OR pass on the load to the car makers. Car makers will pass it on to the consumer which will result in we paying more for new cars.

Would you like to pay more out of your pocket for a car because the government has a regulatory body ? And what if you still get a Lemon ? Where do you go then ? To the consumer court right ?

And what % of cars are lemons ? It's an open market out there. If "X" manufacturer dishes out more lemons : the market forces (read consumer) will automatically deal with "X" by not buying its products.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:27   #22
BANNED

the question is simply not weather! it has to be when! Cars are still considered a luxury in the Indian scenario for most of the population. The car population in India is one per 200 people. As this ratio get smaller, more rules are needed to safeguard the expenditure toward a car.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2010 at 11:16. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares!
Old 10th March 2010, 16:19   #23
BHPian

If GOVT don't have it, can we have NGO here? May be something from all of us? Can we create separate thread/ section to report all defects, recalls? If someone reports issue, based on severity, NGO can definitely get things done. Such NGO form by people like us can definitely act as watchdog than just expecting GOI to do it.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:47   #24
BHPian

We should have anti-lemon laws and I am ready to contribute from my side for making this a reality.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:51   #25
BHPian

How can you think about lemons when the Govt's only worry is mango (man)? Till the time mango man does not say that lemons are not welcome, you will just will have to live the sour taste in your mouth.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
How can you think about lemons when the Govt's only worry is mango (man)? Till the time mango man does not say that lemons are not welcome, you will just will have to live the sour taste in your mouth.
Can you please elobarate. I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:11   #27
BANNED

All these years manufactures created the law according to their wishes and we need to change this. The ARAI is not helping it either. We need a change, How to do it ?! please share your thoughts.

CPH are you reading?

Last edited by wildon : 13th April 2010 at 21:12.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Can you please elobarate. I have no idea what you are trying to say.
well, the Govt of the day is more bothered about aam aadmi (transliteration: mango man), so catering to the so called whims and fancies of any other class of citizenry is not on Govt's plate as of now. So till the common man doesn't raise a hue and cry about bad cars being sold, nothing is going to come of it. If your car turns out to be a lemon, it is going to leave a sour taste in your mouth. I hope I haven't complicated it further for you

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 14th April 2010 at 09:21.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:41   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
well, the Govt of the day is more bothered about aam aadmi (transliteration: mango man), so catering to the so called whims and fancies of any other class of citizenry is not on Govt's plate as of now
So this is what our thinking is/was till now and thats why we are not raising any questions ?!!

Is thats the reason this thread doesn't have any takers ?!!

Why don't we as a group take the initiative to change this, why don't we discuss about protecting ourself from bad? why don't we demand a protection law?

I have seen so many threads about complaints, but what we have done as a group till date to counter that? Yes Harish Skoda case is an exception , when .... But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!

what about rest of the cases.. yes we do post replies about whats the status, when is the hearing, take care, all the best etc... beyond that think about what we have done and what can be done as a group.

I request all the members here to join this discussion to bring the change.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 13:52   #30
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I request all the members here to join this discussion to bring the change.
You asked me join this discussion.

Politeness dictates me to join it. I am not overly excited to join because two members have made racist remarks in the other thread, which neither have had anything to do with the thread nor anything related with this forum. I hope that this sirt of stupidity stays out of this thread.

Also I want to make clear that I am not interested in any political campaign. I do not vote in my own country either.

To make changes (which obviously every person moaning seriously want) different routes can be taken.

Laws are means to enforce standards, which is a good start even if some authorities are corrupt. Whether a governing body makes a positive impact or not is debatable.

The ADAC in Germany is a very powerful organisation. It is just a club, but it is a big club. This is why manufacturers need to listen.

The ADAC has got the power because of the people being members. When the ADAC publishes test details and they are in favour of the tested car then people will buy. These tests are safety test and controlled by the TÜV. If the safety test are detrimental, the manufacturer will see slumps in sales.

The German magazine Autobild makes every month tests. They take a car for servicing with prepared faults and mark parts to be changed. The list is usually 10 faults that should be covered when servicing. And this car goes to 10 to 20 dealers. Every month it will be a different make.

Everything will be rated, which includes customer service, quality of advice, quality of workmanship and price (in Germany the law requires exact detailing of work carried out including the recommended times).

This rating is being published.

BTW, I am in process to set up a lemon award.

The political process will take years, a lot of effort, energy and money.

In my opinion the best way is to go via an independant organisation, that is more likely a club.

Most Viewed