Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Should India have anti-lemon laws and a vehicle quality monitoring administration ?

We know how manufacturers are taking us for a ride, and how poor quality parts in many cars fail after warrenty and the customer has to borne heavy expenses out of his pocket (Eg. many VW group cars, Tata etc..), leading to more hours spent in garage than on the road ad manufacturers walking away from it, at the cost of the customer.

My opinion is should our country have anti-lemon laws and a federal watchdog like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which keeps a watch on the quality of manufacturing and after sales service provided by the manufacturers so that any recalls for the minutest of defects are announced to keep the vehicle in safe and perfectly running condition.
Also, warrenty standards should be on par with other developed countries so that the customer feels that the manufacturer is not taking him/her for a ride.

lastly, all workshops should be classified on the parameters of good, average and bad quality service (esp tata/fiat and skoda) and the underperforming workshops should be given an ultimatum or otherwise, termination of contract as the solution to make sure that customers grievances are handled at the earliest.

We can put a request to the Government of Inda for passing a legislative bill in drafting anti-lemon laws similar to the ones in USA/ Europe.

Do you agree with my opinion? If yes, more suggestion are welcome.
sidindica is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

yes we should, but its just another one of those things to add to the wish list :(
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Certainly only in the wish list.

I hope they first make good standards and approval for safety aspects of vehicles. Not just make, but also implement the system with minimum loop hole (Ya, I know i am expecting too much is I said without any loop hole!!!)
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:09   #4
BANNED

Auto Policy Of Government Of India

Read it: Auto Policy Of Government Of India- Vision

Quote:
14. SAFETY

14.1 Government will duly amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and other relevant provisions and introduce safety regulations that conform to global standards.

14.2 Testing and certification facilities need to be revised and strengthened in accordance with safety standards of global order. Government, in partnership with industry, will tend to this requirement.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2012 at 10:28. Reason: Updating link
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:39   #5
BHPian

Would love to have such a watchdog for the auto industry, but
if only wishes were horses
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Federal watchdog like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

I would say we already have - Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, also deals with safety.
http://morth.nic.in What is required is improvement.

The IIT of India also has Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Programme
http://web.iitd.ac.in/~tripp What is required is improvement.

But I agree with you very much, it is about time for a real change, or may be another "Wednesday" style scenario to bring about the change.

Last edited by aerohit : 3rd June 2009 at 19:56.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:48   #7
BANNED

Automotive Mission Plan

Automotive Mission Plan 2006- 2016
Attached Images

Last edited by wildon : 3rd June 2009 at 19:51.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
We know how manufacturers are taking us for a ride, and how poor quality parts in many cars fail after warrenty and the customer has to borne heavy expenses out of his pocket (Eg. many VW group cars, Tata etc..), leading to more hours spent in garage than on the road ad manufacturers walking away from it, at the cost of the customer.

My opinion is should our country have anti-lemon laws and a federal watchdog like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which keeps a watch on the quality of manufacturing and after sales service provided by the manufacturers so that any recalls for the minutest of defects are announced to keep the vehicle in safe and perfectly running condition.
Also, warrenty standards should be on par with other developed countries so that the customer feels that the manufacturer is not taking him/her for a ride.

lastly, all workshops should be classified on the parameters of good, average and bad quality service (esp tata/fiat and skoda) and the underperforming workshops should be given an ultimatum or otherwise, termination of contract as the solution to make sure that customers grievances are handled at the earliest.

We can put a request to the Government of Inda for passing a legislative bill in drafting anti-lemon laws similar to the ones in USA/ Europe.

Do you agree with my opinion? If yes, more suggestion are welcome.
I think there should be on in place.It is protection for the consumers and safety of our people.We have such laws in place in USA.this law is not in favor of manufacturer nor the consumer.The manufacturer will be given ample of time and efforts to fix the problem before the car can be labelled LEMON.Each state in the union has certain variation to the law
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:23   #9
BHPian

@ SID. Remember our GOVT is corporate friendly rather consumer friendly
If you pay money to them any damn worst vehicle can be sell in Indian Market. GOVT dont wanna think for people, they just wanna think only about them self.
All Manufacturer are enjoying this by selling Cheap Product to Indian Market with making Max Margin comparing to other country.
Old 9th March 2010, 15:54   #10
BHPian

After reading the post on Protest against Tata thread, I totally agree that India needs an anti-lemon law.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:05   #11
BHPian

Not only does India require an anti-lemon law. It needs to look at stringent punishment for violators-not only at Manufacturer level but also at distributor level trying to re-sale damaged goods/demo cars without informing the customer.

OT: Moreover, we should also have mileage mentioned by ARAI/manufacturers clearly mentioned in prominent print (as opposed to fine print) and have a robust recall policy.

But wishes never come true or do they?
Old 9th March 2010, 16:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
After reading the post on Protest against Tata thread, I totally agree that India needs an anti-lemon law.
+1

for the life of me, i'm not going to ever buy a Tata! these so called Indian manufacturers take the people for a ride by selling them spurious and defective products and when it comes to providing assistance or replacement, they show you the finger!
Old 9th March 2010, 17:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

In India, more bills and more laws= more income for the enforcers but does not = consumer protection.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

There are already enough laws and enough regulators

it is time these laws are implemented.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

No we shouldn't have anti Lemon laws. How would i get fresh nimbu paani then ?

But seriously there is the counsumer court for this purpoe. There cannot be a specific to car only regulaatory authority. Heck, we don't even have a real estate regulatory authority in India, forget automobiles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks