Team-BHP - 4.5 star rating of Swift - Overdrive
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   4.5 star rating of Swift - Overdrive (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5980-4-5-star-rating-swift-overdrive.html)

Overdrive june, 2005 has a detailed road test report of maruti swift.

Design and style - 5 star
Performance - 4.5 star
Fuel efficiency - 5 star
Handling - 4.5 star
Safety - 4 star

Most surprising is that Fuel efficiency part. Overdrive has following figures from the road test.

City (with A/C) - 12.2 kmpl
Highway (with A/C) - 17.9 kmpl
Highway (with A/C) - 20.7 kmpl
Overall (75 % city driving + 25 % highway wigh A/C) - 14.4 kmpl

can you guys agree with these? I always wonder how overdrive determines FE. As I have compared AutoCAR and Overdrive FE figures for other cars, it seems that Overdrive overpricts the FE by 25 to 35 % higher. Any comments guys....

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGP
Highway (with A/C) - 17.9 kmpl
Highway (with A/C) - 20.7 kmpl

Why two figures on highway? (is it with/without ac)

If there is a deviation of max 35% in their results, the overall performance at the worst would be 9.36 kmpl. Less than 10

:D

My gut feeling is it should be 11-12 kmpl

expect the FE to be like the similar engined esteem.the swift is about 130kgs heavier than the esteem and also has wider tires .
so cannot understand as to how the swift gives better FE.

OD has reportedly got 20kpl without AC on the highway.

BTW after AJD ,OD sukks.they always seem to get the best FE and top speed figures.they have too perfect drivers with them.
and ,a particular guy SC who has graduated from testing bikes to cars,simply sukks.you just have to read the hyundai tiburon article.hehehheh seems like ACI has employed him for OD.

so, i would never go by OD figures.

expect the swift to give about 10-12kpl in city and 15-16kpl on the highways.

Welll satya maruti has retuned the engine..

ANd OD figures are rubbish.. according to them NHC goves 27kpl on highways and 15 in city so overall 19.xx NONSENSE

Overdrive should be renamed as OverAdvertisement For a Commission ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
Overdrive should be renamed as OverAdvertisement For a Commission ;)

Hahaha... that really made my day.

Can't help there pal... some auto-scribes are so well fed by PR sleuths, they sometimes forget that they have vowed to test-drive once in a while.

Revv

I don't have extreme opinions about OD, but I very seldomly see them call a spade a spade. Any shortcomings of a vehicle should be put out bluntly as far as possible. Verdicts of their test drives are always either decent, good or very good. And what good is having best FE, if average owner is never going to achieve it. In such case, it becomes only of academic interest.

I believe theres a similar discrepancy in the 0-100 times too, between OD and ACI ..

OD mentions 12.9s for the swift and 12.8s for the baleno and esteem .. from what I recall all these figures are in the 11.x seconds range as per ACI ..

So do they drive conservatively to get the high FE's ? lol:

:OT
btw, where has AJD gone ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc
btw, where has AJD gone ?

AJD is off on a hiatus. He'll be back. Market rumours have him starting his own magazine... apparently a famous UK based publication. CAR.

Rumour also has it... he might be in with Ex- Tata Infomedia chief, Hoshang Billmoria for the job. Mr. Billmoria has started his own publishing firm in Mumbai BTW.

Revv

So who is the editor now?

Hopefully, the new editor will set things straight at OD. We almost bought the NHC-CVT after looking at OD figures for FE. What a jerk!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower
So who is the editor now?

Its Yogendra Pratap now!

Quote:

Hopefully, the new editor will set things straight at OD. We almost bought the NHC-CVT after looking at OD figures for FE. What a jerk!
I almost did that too. That guy was like - this one has a better mileage than Maruti 800. THe engine is a gem, miles ahead in technology.

Decided to wait after i test drove it(which was dissapointing) .. and now i guess we all know about the authenticity of OD figures..

well, the the story on the figures go like such- i've found that the performance figures by o.d are by far the most accurate timings anybody can get close to, and for fuel efficiency figures, autocar seems to be more on the right side. i say so, because i've found that autocar doen't exactly publish the actual figures- once, they quoted the performance of the OHC 1.5 and the Vtec to be the same....!!!! but, they do put a more accurate picture on the F.E front- O.D does seem to get it's numbers wrong on the F.E front, but they are as close as it gets when it comes to performance figures.

yes, they did goof up big time on the NHC F.E figures- 27 kmpl seems stratospheric for the car; even if you try driving 500 kms @ constant 75-80 kmph, i bet you can't cross 20-22...!!

Quote:

Why two figures on highway? (is it with/without ac)
yup, those figures are with and without a/c...

Quote:

BTW after AJD ,OD sukks.they always seem to get the best FE and top speed figures
well, not the best performance, but they do get the best f.e...!!! the title for the best performance goes to ACI...!! their figures for the OHC, Vtec, and baleno- 11.xx, 10.xx and 11.xx for 0-100, and top speed of 185 kmph for all three...!!!

Quote:

Overdrive should be renamed as OverAdvertisement For a Commission
hehe...nice one there....

well, IMHO, trust O.D fro the performance figures, and autocar for the F.E......

ACI's FE figures are very much realistic & OD's are extremely academic...which is really of little use in the real world.