Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 15:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

The santro not only has good space but enough legroom in the front.Its good for old age people who can get in and out of the vehicle without stooping down which is incase of the santro.
recently we purchased a swift vdi,our other option was a santro(my dad had undergone a right knee replacement operation).We had nearly narrowed down on the santro as it perfectly met our requirements,but later rejected it as my dad didnt like the pedal positioning.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 9th November 2010 at 15:10.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:19   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Little correction: A star should belong to A+ not B segment. A star costs almost exactly same as Wagon R.
Can agree to this. Reclassified the hatches as follows (Indica and Vista included):

A- : Nano
A : Maruti 800, Alto 800
A+ : Alto K10, Spark
B- : Estilo, Wagon R, Santro, A-Star, Indica
B : Beat, i10
B+ : Swift, Polo, Ritz, Micra, Figo, Punto, UVA, Palio, Fabia, Vista
B++ : i20, Jazz

Can't divide more than this...
Old 10th November 2010, 09:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

A doctor I know upgraded from a Santro to a Verna-D. And while he enjoys the power/pickup of the latter, he misses the easy ingress/egress and seating of the Santro.

I also remember reading in the newspapers that industrialist MAM Ramamswamy counts a Santro among his favourite cars (he owns many top marquees) and specifically uses it when he has backache.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well comparing the Santro with the Swift was a foolish mistake on part of HMIL (at any time, leave aside the period/ auto scene 4-5 years ago), & coupling the same with incorrect figures was the topping on the cake.

Though Santro is a good car, much better than the old Waggy, but, it is not match to Swift in any respect. I have no doubt that Swift is in the B++ segment (as per romeomidhun's calssification), which the new Swift will prove when launched.

P.S. : romeomidhun, I would classify the Polo & Fabia in the B++ segment as well.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 10th November 2010 at 14:11.
Old 10th November 2010, 15:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I also remember reading in the newspapers that industrialist MAM Ramamswamy counts a Santro among his favourite cars (he owns many top marquees) and specifically uses it when he has backache.
wouldn't a Santro aggravate his backache, because of it's bumpy ride quality?
Old 10th November 2010, 18:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Can agree to this. Reclassified the hatches as follows (Indica and Vista included):

B+ : Swift, Polo, Ritz, Micra, Figo, Punto, UVA, Palio, Fabia, Vista

Can't divide more than this...
I think Polo/Fabia/Punto should be placed in the B++ segment owing to the following two facts:
- Price of the top end variant exceeds Rs6.5lacs.
- Dimensions.

It is unfair to keep them alonside Ritz, Micra and Swift which are B+ segment premium hatchbacks.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:56   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Though Santro is a good car, much better than the old Waggy, but, it is not match to Swift in any respect. I have no doubt that Swift is in the B++ segment (as per romeomidhun's calssification), which the new Swift will prove when launched.
Going by the reviews about the new gen Swift, I'm sure it can be rightly included in the B++ segment.

Quote:
I would classify the Polo & Fabia in the B++ segment as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I think Polo/Fabia/Punto should be placed in the B++ segment owing to the following two facts:
- Price of the top end variant exceeds Rs6.5lacs.
- Dimensions.

It is unfair to keep them alonside Ritz, Micra and Swift which are B+ segment premium hatchbacks.

You people are right, these cars need to be grouped in a higher category, but it is unfair to a car like Jazz, to be grouped along with them.

So, one thing we can do is to downgrade cars like Palio, Ritz and Micra (but not Swift!) to a lower segment. But again, it will be unfair for a car like Ritz to be grouped with i10. Though they are priced similar, Ritz is much better in ride, handling, size, space, and engine departments. And i10 is overpriced also, IMO.

So, need to create one more category in between B+ and B++? Sorry, I'm tired of that...
Old 11th November 2010, 12:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You people are right, these cars need to be grouped in a higher category, but it is unfair to a car like Jazz, to be grouped along with them.

So, one thing we can do is to downgrade cars like Palio, Ritz and Micra (but not Swift!) to a lower segment. But again, it will be unfair for a car like Ritz to be grouped with i10. Though they are priced similar, Ritz is much better in ride, handling, size, space, and engine departments. And i10 is overpriced also, IMO.

So, need to create one more category in between B+ and B++? Sorry, I'm tired of that...
romeomidhun, Jazz can be categorised in the same (B++) segment alongwith other cars, because like rattling panels are Maruti's bane & other cars are not necessarily perfect with their quality, absurd pricing is the problem with Jazz.

So we can say that B++ segment cars are much better than the B & B+, but have one or other issue , which is a part of the whole package.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
B+ : Swift, Polo, Ritz, Micra, Figo, Punto, UVA, Palio, Fabia
Just wondering what were you thinking when you wrote above. I mean Fabia and Punto as 'B+' and i20 as 'B++' !!

I can understand Jazz as its costlier then most of the sedans a segment higher.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Well comparing the Santro with the Swift was a foolish mistake on part of HMIL
Agreed.

Quote:
Yes it can beat the Swift! In build quality (rattling, I mean). For the past 3 months, I had a chance to drive my 2006 Santro (35,000 on ODO), my brother's 2005 Getz (74,000 on ODO) and my cousin brother's 2010 Swift (6,000 on ODO). From my experience with the three cars, Swift is the worst one with squeaks and rattles from different places. And surprisingly for a 5 year old car, the Getz is still solid and rattle free.

Disclaimer : The above comment is purely from my experience with the mentioned cars.
Old 11th November 2010, 18:00   #41
BANNED

Ok ok... Here's a grievance relief measure:

Reclassified the hatches:

B+ : Swift, Ritz, Micra, Figo, UVA, Palio, Vista
B++ : Fabia, Jazz, Polo, Punto, i20

Now I'm in a dilemma whether to put Swift in B+ or B++. But thought of keeping it in B+ segment until the new gen Swift is launched.
Old 11th November 2010, 18:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I'm in a dilemma whether to put Swift in B+ or B++.
I would put Maruti Swift in B+ segment because of the fact that 'Maruti Swift' has less features when contrasted to the cars in the B++ segment (say Hyundai i20, Fiat Punto, Honda Jazz etc)

Quote:
But thought of keeping it in B+ segment until the new gen Swift is launched.
I agree

Amith
Old 11th November 2010, 18:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Yes it can beat the Swift! In build quality (rattling, I mean). For the past 3 months, I had a chance to drive my 2006 Santro (35,000 on ODO), my brother's 2005 Getz (74,000 on ODO) and my cousin brother's 2010 Swift (6,000 on ODO). From my experience with the three cars, Swift is the worst one with squeaks and rattles from different places. And surprisingly for a 5 year old car, the Getz is still solid and rattle free.

Disclaimer : The above comment is purely from my experience with the mentioned cars.
I know that, I too own a Santro Xing 2003 model, & everyting is working fine (no rattles, or other problem) except the suspension, which is good generally, but more bouncy on bad roads. I tackle that by going little slow on bad patches.
But, apart from the built quality, there are many things that make the Swift superior, though it falls short of the i20 (1.4 D/P engines).

I fear that the thread is loosing direction & meaning. Mods, please consider closing the thread.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 11th November 2010 at 18:43.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I would put Maruti Swift in B+ segment because of the fact that 'Maruti Swift' has less features when contrasted to the cars in the B++ segment (say Hyundai i20, Fiat Punto, Honda Jazz etc)
By the way Swift has more features then Polo and is on par with Honda Jazz as both have some and miss some.

I never really understood how these segments are defined
Old 12th November 2010, 14:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Surprise!

I sat in one of my friend's Swift which ran 70000+ KMs and there was no rattle!, strange!

Most Viewed