Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Why Aveo/UVA does not sell well?
After Sales Network 25 37.88%
Resale Value 28 42.42%
Not good features available for the money I pay 11 16.67%
Missing of Diesel heart 28 42.42%
Pricing Strategy 19 28.79%
US bankcruptcy new and related fear on people mind 32 48.48%
Others - Please mention in post. 9 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 13:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

I almost finalized SPARK last month, now I am holding it for the time being
I will wait and watch for some time
Old 10th June 2009, 13:09   #17
BHPian

i believe the Chevy cars in India are the most value for money. and with their 3 year maintnance contract its actually lucrative. imagine i have paid only Rs. 750 for 20k service for my optra magnum diesle and that too without any maintenance contract with them. just 750 for 10 lakh rs car? imagine if it was Skoda octavia.

reason they are not selling is people still love Maruti and Hyundai. and look at the people who buy Marutis, they dont even understand what is quality, what is rattling, what is comfort and what is ride quality and handling. all they want is cheap car, good mileage and good resale. :(
Old 10th June 2009, 13:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
reason they are not selling is people still love Maruti and Hyundai. and look at the people who buy Marutis, they dont even understand what is quality, what is rattling, what is comfort and what is ride quality and handling. all they want is cheap car, good mileage and good resale. :(
I ), I saw a recently launched Ritz in my neighborhood and asked the owner why he went for Ritz. He did not have any specific answer.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
reason they are not selling is people still love Maruti and Hyundai. (
I feel this should be the top reason,

apart from that the Service network needs big time improvement. A simple question - how many service stations are there in the western sub (Mumbai) - Answer - Just 3. Which one is good - debatable.

Spare - Although you get spares and that to free (thanks to 3 yrs plan), but they not available off the shelf, they order them and then you will get them in few Weeks (Yes...can be 15 to 20 days)

How much time they think they can pull the carriage with old horses. They need fresh blood, new horses. They have good lineup in NA. Get it here.

DIESEL - Why not Diesel option in AVEO / UVA?

Options - what's holding them. Do they really think people who go out to buy a car really care for excise duty? Why not put 1.4 and 1.6 in UVA. Why noy 1.2 in SPARK. Why the beauty like SRV is still lacking in ABS?

Why not put TCDi 2.0 (Magum) in Tavera.

They really need some unique ways to attract more prospects (forget sales). Add ABS on all Aveo variants, I am sure that will help them. Thats no more only a C+ D segment feature.

I dont think Karl has got the bog picture. Somebody please invite him here and make him aware of the facts rather than discussing future plans on 11.30 pm tv shows.

PS - I am using UVA since a year and hence all above points
Old 10th June 2009, 13:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I feel this should be the top reason,

apart from that the Service network needs big time improvement. A simple question - how many service stations are there in the western sub (Mumbai) - Answer - Just 3. Which one is good - debatable.

Spare - Although you get spares and that to free (thanks to 3 yrs plan), but they not available off the shelf, they order them and then you will get them in few Weeks (Yes...can be 15 to 20 days)
Yes, service networks. I have heard that they are trying to have tie-up with BPCL select outlets to have Chevy car service. No idea when its gonna come up.
Just curious, which part was that made you wait for > 2 weeks? Can I know?

Quote:
How much time they think they can pull the carriage with old horses. They need fresh blood, new horses. They have good lineup in NA. Get it here.

DIESEL - Why not Diesel option in AVEO / UVA?
Right. Again, in the recent service camp I heard about they coming up with Diesel version for Aveo/UVA. Most probably begining of next year, if things goes as planned.

Quote:
Options - what's holding them. Do they really think people who go out to buy a car really care for excise duty? Why not put 1.4 and 1.6 in UVA. Why noy 1.2 in SPARK. Why the beauty like SRV is still lacking in ABS?
Yes. 1.6 in UVA would be powerful, if properly tuned. But what about SRV?

Quote:
Why not put TCDi 2.0 (Magum) in Tavera.

They really need some unique ways to attract more prospects (forget sales). Add ABS on all Aveo variants, I am sure that will help them. Thats no more only a C+ D segment feature.
When I bought the Aveo (Apr 08), I had no option for ABS and aibag in 1.4 version. If I need, I need to go for 1.6LT. Things changed now. We have 1.4 LT with airbag & ABS. But again, how many people know that there is something in the showroom? Poor advt. Infact no ads from Chevy on TV. Or do they?

Quote:
I dont think Karl has got the bog picture. Somebody please invite him here and make him aware of the facts rather than discussing future plans on 11.30 pm tv shows.

PS - I am using UVA since a year and hence all above points
I would still wait, say for 6 months to see the progress.With the new launces lined up, lets see what karl has to say if he fails again

btw, do you have any specific feedback about UVA, good or bad? Please do post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I ), I saw a recently launched Ritz in my neighborhood and asked the owner why he went for Ritz. He did not have any specific answer.
That's how it should be. It shows how much brand value MARUTI has got in India. Its all about the confidence on Maruti.

Quote:
reason they are not selling is people still love Maruti and Hyundai.
Yes. They were made to love. Right? how, everyone knows.

Just look at the number of Ads for Maruti and Hyundai. Thats what called marketing. Can you see something for the GM cars? You had one for Aveo with those katrina & Saif. Even that is not now. I am sure many people would be in belief that Aveo is stopped production. (Do I see that two guys pouncing out from now where now?)

Last edited by mjothi : 10th June 2009 at 13:55.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
When I bought the Aveo (Apr 08), I had no option for ABS and aibag in 1.4 version. If I need, I need to go for 1.6LT. Things changed now. We have 1.4 LT with airbag & ABS. But again, how many people know that there is something in the showroom? Poor advt. Infact no ads from Chevy on TV. Or do they?
That's a news...

Yes checked the Chevrolet website. They now have 1.4 LT and 1.4 LT with ABS.

Why don't we see any media announcements. Maruti and Hyundai on the other hand even iof they add Graphics to the existing model, they ensure atleast half page ad. coverage (read Zen Estilo Sport)

There are two instances which I have faced when I had / still waiting

1. At 7.5K gear shifter spring gave up. They did not have the stock on the leather wrapped one. Waiting time - Almost month. Engaging gear was not a problem but that was an issue.

2. at 14.5k ABS Sensor for Rear left wheel - This has gone weak. I sometimes get the ABS light on while driving. They checked and said I will hv to live with that till they replace. They were happy to replace.
BUT - still waiting for spare to come....Now 3 weeks.

I cannot call this as a complete breakdown as car is still very much drivable. ABS kicks in sometimes and doesn't when actually it should hv been and the light comes on. The latest date I have got is coming Saturday. So lets see, the wait is still on.

Yes...will post the complete review of UVA after the 15K service. This will give a complete picture and the facts.

Last edited by Firebird : 10th June 2009 at 14:31. Reason: Added comment
Old 10th June 2009, 14:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a news...

Yes checked the Chevrolet website. They now have 1.4 LT and 1.4 LT with ABS.

Why don't we see any media announcements.
Seems I missed one more item in the poll.

Bad marketing

Yes, I too was not aware about this 1.4 LT ABS versions. I checked the chevy site from a link in T-BHP posted for UVA techno. And that's how I got to know.

Quote:
May be instead of karl in TV, the actual products of GM should be shown I think. What say?
Old 10th June 2009, 14:55   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Your thread question:
-------------------------
"What can make the GM get market share in India"

Answer:
-----------
1. Sell cars
2. Find customers who will buy their cars
Old 10th June 2009, 16:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i people still love Maruti and Hyundai. and look at the people who buy Marutis, they dont even understand what is quality, what is rattling, what is comfort and what is ride quality and handling. all they want is cheap car, good mileage and good resale. :(
"Maruti is the C-segment leader with 6,782 Dzire’s & SX4s whisked off showroom floors. The diesel Dzire, though not excelling in any single area, is the current rockstar in this segment." -- from Post#2

And wait for a long time to own one..
Old 10th June 2009, 18:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
"The diesel Dzire, though not excelling in any single area, is the current rockstar in this segment."

And wait for a long time to own one..
Exactly the point. It has to do more with the manufacture than what is been manufactured by them.

So, may be GM needs to concentrate more on their network and marketing rather than just launching new product. Is it?

Anyway, this may be answered with their new launch. But that's on the upper side of 10L - Cruze.
Old 10th June 2009, 20:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would say GM Bankruptcy news would be the biggest factor at the moment. To take an eg even in this forum where prospective buyers have been debating between GM cars and other cars, they have been reluctant to buy a GM because of the GM US condition.

Since I am an Aveo owner myself I didnt choose the other options because:-

1. after sales netwrok:- I think here my dealer does an amazing job, cant mention about the others
2. resale value :- really not bothered whats instore after 5 yrs, want to enjoy the ride now
3. Features:- VFM then when I bought it, but maybe not now with Linea coming loaded with extras
4. Diesel :- Even if it was there I would have gone in for Petrol so can not comment
5. Pricing:- I think its cheaper than others in the same segment.
6. US GM:- Well I am also a bit concerend to about this, but not enough to loose sleep over it.

I love the comfort that my car provides me at the moment and the dealer who does an outstanding service job and calls me every month without fail to check on the car.
Old 10th June 2009, 20:51   #27
BHPian

On the whole GQ drive we could spot 3 or may be 4 GM cars, but we did spot a dozen cars outside a GM dealership on the GQ.

I really pity a new GM dealer in bangalore, just opened a week or so back called KROPEX on Hosur road. I was fixing my ICE next door & was there for half a day. Not even a soul walked in or out, forget buying a car, not even for service, spoke to the security guard, he told me his boss is cursing himself for opening GM dealership after spending crores, All dressed up & nowhere to go
Old 10th June 2009, 21:09   #28
BHPian

Well , he must have known what he as getting into - GMs financial troubles in the US arent exactly news. Resulting loss of confidence in their products here could also be easily predicted. Personally, I think they have it in them to pull it off. Its unfortunate that the restructuring wont allow the mother company to help the Indian subsidiary - in India and China they should be allowed. Its for their own benefit , these are the markets to profitability for them.
Old 11th June 2009, 07:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have decided to keep away from the Spark for the same reason, despite huge discounts/freebies/3 year free maintenance. If there was assurance the US parent will support the Indian subsidiary completely, I would have gone for it. After all, India and China are two markets no car maker can ignore.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:52   #30
BHPian

I am a U-VA owner since more than an year now. Till date expenditure on the car for maintenance at the dealership has been Rs.750 (for an oil and oil filter change).

I've done numerous highway drives with 5 passengers and airconditioning and have never felt a significant lack of punch. It may be a little less free-revving than the Swift, but I've never had any Swift overtake me . In normal driving (80% of its life), one never pushes a car to its limits anyways!

The biggest thing about this car is the way it feels planted on the road at high speeds. I've never felt uncomfortable pushing it to 130-140 kmph. Maybe I'm a little old school - but I actually like the 'heavy' feeling it has! - the body panels, the chassis, door panels etc. Personally, I actually love the so called 'bland' interiors.

I've had instances of hard braking (at 120 kmph) but it handled itself very well (without ABS).

Except for a slightly hard gear shift (compared to Getz etc.), I do not have any other gripe with the car. I'm exploring the gear shift right now to make it smoother.

The GM dealer in my city has given good service support and they regularly call me to check up on the running of my car. I've even been allowed on the shop floor while my car is serviced!

My suggestion to GM to increase their market share - Visibility and some innovation in their models. There is a new version (not a variant) of the Aveo U-VA LS, but it only has some LT features that have trickled down to it. Personally, I'd like to see othe engine options from the GM stable on their cars.

Most Viewed