Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Why Aveo/UVA does not sell well?
After Sales Network 25 37.88%
Resale Value 28 42.42%
Not good features available for the money I pay 11 16.67%
Missing of Diesel heart 28 42.42%
Pricing Strategy 19 28.79%
US bankcruptcy new and related fear on people mind 32 48.48%
Others - Please mention in post. 9 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 17:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

The onwers have all the happy stories with Gm cars it seems. Except the resale value ofcourse.
Old 17th June 2009, 17:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The onwers have all the happy stories with Gm cars it seems. Except the resale value ofcourse.
How many. Here is one owner who has narrated enough unhappy stories here about GM's cars, and would now consider GM if and only if it was the only seller in the market.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
True, I have a 6 year old corsa, which never fails to put a smile on my face (despite the sluggish engine) everytime I drive it after driving another car
Maintenance costs have been very reasonable, mileage is acceptably bad but the ride remains awesome even after 100K kms, neither do the interiors rattle (unlike our swift which rattles after just 11K kms)

Although, coming to think of it, poor resale may not be a bad thing after all

If not for the poor resale, I'd have perhaps sold it off long back (and taken more depreciation hits) since I tend to lust after any new car launch

Last edited by abhi182 : 17th June 2009 at 18:02.
Old 17th June 2009, 20:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
How many. Here is one owner who has narrated enough unhappy stories here about GM's cars, and would now consider GM if and only if it was the only seller in the market.
Here is one owner who wouldnt buy a Honda even if it was the last car in the market.

unhappy people are everywhere. The brand's perception in the market along with the image the media people give it has a long bearing on its satisfaction for the consumer. I have seen people just sell their cars coz market loses the image attached to it.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th June 2009 at 20:28.
Old 17th June 2009, 20:40   #50
BHPian

Quote:
+1. My parents are very happy with their Aveo. They considered selling it for upgrading their vehicle to an SUV, but decided against it due to the resale value they were quoted. They subsequently bought a Spark a few months back for city running. And till date they have no problems with both vehicles.
Old 17th June 2009, 20:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Quote:
Here is one owner who wouldnt buy a Honda even if it was the last car in the market.

unhappy people are everywhere.
Agreed. Even in this very forum we have so many unhappy stores on almost all manufactures. Infact one on Honda Civic too. So, does it make all Honda cars defective?

So, does it mean those brands are completely bad? That's why we have a term called Lemon I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar View Post
Having a good product is one thing. Positioning it and selling it is a completely different story. GM needs to improve here.
Rightly said. GM definitely needs to look into this. Success also depends on the way you project yourself. Wake up GM.

Last edited by mjothi : 17th June 2009 at 20:54.
Old 17th June 2009, 21:13   #52
BHPian

I own a opel corsa. This "opel" is supposed to have screwed up GM's image here in india. Completing 5 years with the car this august. Done 52k kms. There are two issues here.

First, here in bangalore sundaram's A.S.S. It has been pathetic.
Second, the resale value. I am yet to try to sell my car. Will be lucky if I find a buyer.

Mileage has been 10 in city. And on highway depending on load and speed it is from 13.5 to 16. Spare parts replaced outside regular service are, front wheel bearing and clutch assembly(at 47k). The car, mechanically didn't had any other issues. Clutch and bearing issues could be attributed my rough driving. Entire clutch assembly costed me 6k+labor.

Rattles, after these many days, i have one, some where from the passenger side. Coupled with xm1+, the ride quality has been excellent. Might require the bushes to be replaced in near future.

The +ives are...
Ride quality, build quality
Negatives are....
Very very compact interiors, gear box

Overall, the usual stuff i hear about opel being maintenance heavy, spare parts very costly, very poor mileage and such are some thing i didn't experience with this car.

GM, for some reason have lost their brand value here in india. I don't know how, when and where...
Old 18th June 2009, 08:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

I really liked the way the new refreshed Aveo drove. Also the interiors are excellent. But Many people just dont know about it. I guess a diesel aveo and diesel Aveo U-va in that price range should help GM bring customers to their showrooms.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:01   #54
Senior - BHPian

Another piece of wrongful perception and prejudices. Read here:

The bankruptcy of General Motors: A giant falls | The Economist

Some people may be happy with GM but more than that are not, which results in long term declines. People can definitely have the view that GM's problems arise out of perception and marketing problem, rather than any product or quality issues. Thank God, we do not live in China (where I have read that all computers sold after July 1 will need to have website blocking software).

Last edited by vasudeva : 18th June 2009 at 10:06.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:09   #55
BHPian

i did not good GM dealer experiences with you over last 1-2 yrs in the pre-sales period itself which prevent me from going to them for owning their cars.
1. i went to them when UV-A was launched. the dealer did not offer me a test drive, neither they took my no. and offered later. the dealer was not interested to sell the car or give trial
2. second time 6 months back i was looking for a small car. i test drove SPARK. asked for a test drive of UV-A. again no follow -up by dealer inspite of me contacting them again. (i brought a i10)
3. recently 1.5 months ago i contacted GM through internet for a test drive of Optra-magnum. i got 2-3 phone calls from bangalore office, but till now even after 1.5 months they have not been able to arrange a test-drive for me. in fact it will be hialrius to knopw that during this contact, i got a call that a test-drive will arranged on a certain date (around 2 days after the call). after 4-5 days i get a call for feed-back of the car. i say that the test-drive has not been arranged so how can i give feed-back. the lady said she will see to it that the test-drive will be arranged in 2 days. 15-20 days have elapsed, but no test-drive or calls !
if this the status of interest in pre-sales (even when the head-office is in loop), so i might well think what will happen when i will get into trouble with the car. therefore, GM will not get my buisness.
but on 2-3 occasions i went to another dealer and got test drive of AVEO (1 time), optra (1 once) is was ok.
but re-sale value is also a downner.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

In the early-1980s, Elmer Johnson, a top lawyer, joined GM and was one of the 4 contenders for the CEO after Smith.The three other contenders for the top spot--Robert C Stempel, F. Alan Smith, and Lloyd E. Reuss. By the mid-1980s, he had become apparently first among equals.

That all changed soon. In early 1988, Johnson wrote a memo to the senior management. Its theme was that GM’s culture was preventing it from executing its strategy and unless there was a concerted effort to change its culture, there would be little chance of meaningful change. His prophecy that GM would fail in its bid to become a company that built the world’s best cars and trucks in a way that provided superior shareholder value has been proven true. His recommendations were: major changes in people at the top. He also said that the consequences of deferring action on these measures are too grave to contemplate.

The result: He was ignored and shortly after left GM. He died in 2008 and I think in December 2008, that memo was published in Barron.

Here is the memo of Johnson.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GM Memo 1988.pdf (621.2 KB, 378 views)
Old 18th June 2009, 11:15   #57
BHPian

personally i love the GM cars. but its their After Sales Service thats horrible, its going from bad to worse.

Last edited by jinu_joseph : 18th June 2009 at 11:17.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Since its arrival in India, GM has been a company selling limited no. of cars in their respective segments. For almost 10 years till the arrival of the Tavera, GM.A.S.S just had to contend with richer clientele who invested in products like the Astra, Corsa, Optra etc.. Also none of these were cars that clocked a high mileage, doing mostly a minimal no. of kms a year. This was the general scenario.
Then came the Tavera whose primary market was Fleet/Taxi operators. For one the volumes sold were much higher than the usual GM products and they had far more frequent service visits due to higher mileage clocked. The service centres were not really ready for this and there was little guidance from the parent company regarding the same. These customers werent the usual patient, generous, and polite profiles the GM.A.S.S was used to and the strain started to show.
Before they could sort the mess that was already piling up along came the Spark, which just messed it up further. Some dealerships were able to cope and had the financial werewithals for sudden expansion. But this wasnt the case with most.
The primary blame goes to the parent co. who did not have enough foresight for the same. As a consequence of the increased nos. of the low profit margin products, the cars like the Optra, Aveo where GM rakes in larger margins have suffered.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Yes for whatsoever reason, after owning WagonR for 11 months, Ford Ikon for another 11 months, i am extremely happy with my Chevy Magnum TCDI since last 1.5 years. the Car still feels new with much more fun. It has been great journey so far and i have no plans for another couple years to part my ways with Magnum.

and if i succeed in my plans, i would retain the Magnum for life time and will buy another big car/SUV from either Chevy (Cruze or Captiva) or Toyota (Fortuner). I would strongly recommend Chevy cars to fellow bhpians. go ahead with Chevy if you are looking for peace of mind.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

After reading through all the posts here, I have two words to answer the question -
What can make the GM get market share in India?

A miracle.

Most Viewed