Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 13:15   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Guys, can you explain what "reverse gear lock" is? By the way, the GP details first posted by Sid shows the presence of "My Car" facility in Emotion Pack.

I had the TD of the 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack today morning. It was the Exotica Red and looked damn good with the 15 inch alloys. Once the proper TD Report/ review comes from the experienced members, I would post my observations about the TD I had. I'm tempted by the 1.3 MJD, even though in terms of usage, it falls into the petrol territory for us.
Why wait? why can't you let us how the TD experience was and how the car behaved. We are all eager to hear the first TD experiences from people out here.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:25   #722
BHPian

Hi,

This page is showing some average-kmpl, figures....

Fiat Grande Punto in India - Fiat Grande Punto Price, Fiat Grande Punto Reviews |CarDekho.com
Old 18th June 2009, 13:33   #723
BHPian

A gear lock present in palios prevents accidental gear changes into the reverse gear when the car is moving forward.
to put the car into reverse,along with notching the gear into reverse, a small knob (similar to the ones on home gas regulators) needs to be lifted up simultaneously.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:42   #724
Senior - BHPian

I think the E+ has the my car feature. If all goes well, me and a couple of other bhpians should have a TD by tomorrow .
Old 18th June 2009, 13:44   #725
BHPian

My Car!

"My Car" in Grande Punto has the following features:

Follow me home headlights

Programmable Service Check remainder

Programmable Speed limit alarm

Customizable instrument cluster light intensity
Old 18th June 2009, 13:45   #726
BHPian

I saw the car at ABS motors in Gurgaon (and also saw the Jazz next door at Ring Road Honda). I took my Swift with me for a quick comparo on rear leg space - Let me confirm this - I am 5'10, and when I set the driver's seat for my legs (which are long, BTW) in the Punto, Jazz, and Swift - the rear leg space on Jazz & Swift is ok (infact I found the Swift slightly better!), but Punto was tight on the knees and the feet..

So the rumours are true - the rear leg space is just that much lesser than the Swift (and its mainly attributed to the low seating posture in the Punto methinks)

Nevertheless, its time to TD the petrol 1.4 and see if we have a booking here..

Overall verdict - the car's ok and decent value for the price - just don't go to the showroom expecting much...

OT: was blown away by the Jazz, but the price was such a HUGE letdown - as huge as the interior space of the car! :(
Old 18th June 2009, 13:55   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post

So the rumours are true - the rear leg space is just that much lesser than the Swift (and its mainly attributed to the low seating posture in the Punto methinks)
there were no rumors about the punto's rear leg room in comparison with the Swift. It was with respect to the Palio.

Infact the punto's rear leg room is better than both the swift and the palio. It's just in the head room compartment that the palio betters the punto

Rear Leg room - Punto > Palio > Swift
Rear Head room - Palio > Punto > Swift
Old 18th June 2009, 14:36   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
"My Car" in Grande Punto has the following features:

Follow me home headlights

Programmable Service Check remainder

Programmable Speed limit alarm

Customizable instrument cluster light intensity

What about Distance to empty and current millage indication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
I think Linea is more fuel efficient? That's bad. We have to wait for an ownership review before jumping into conclusion.

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 18th June 2009 at 14:41.
Old 18th June 2009, 14:56   #729
BHPian

Surprising if the leg room at the back is less as it has one of the longest wheelbases in this segment.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:17   #730
BHPian

Ok here is my question. My friend is about to buy his 1st car and out of Punto 1.3 (5.16) and Getz 1.5 (4.99L). Can anyone help him out with the best one out of these 2 cars.

Thanks in advance...
Old 18th June 2009, 15:26   #731
BHPian

GP-First Impression

Thanks to the pricing of the Jazz, the ball has now moved to the Grande Punto's court. The car is being considered as second car for my dad. The TD Car was the Exotica Red 1.3 MJD.

Here goes the initial impression. This is just my personal observation and it might not be the real reflection that others may have.

The build quality seems very good.

The clutch release seems to've some lag and feels like an eternity to pull back the leg.

The cabin seems well insulated from the sound (engine)

The responsiveness is bit sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear initially.This might be due to the clutch setting which is mentioned above. (Guys please don't fire me as I'm no auto expert to find the real cause)

The drive is good in 3rd, 4th and 5th. You can actually just "meander" along in 15kmph in 3rd gear

The power delivery is much more gradual than in Fabia (D) / Swift (D).

The gear shift is not short & slick as fabia.

Body roll is very much high. For eg: in fabia, there is not even a small sign of roll while driving in high speed through poor roads

The fit and finish of dashboard - personally i felt that E+ with the silver tint finishing is miles ahead. The plastics used could have been much better. Linea proved to be much better in this case

Rear leg space - seems there's some difference between the leg space at rear-left and right. left side seems to've bit more space even while both front seats are kept in same position. It may sound bit odd, but we adjusted the seats many times to find this and the same result came up every time.

The braking was damn good. It was raining while we had the TD and the amount of confidence the braking provided was awesome

Boot space is much less comapred to i20/ fabia. Its just about adequate

Dark interiors (eventhough combination of black & grey) seems bit overdone (may be its the effect of having being in beige toned cars for long). However, the silver tint in the E+ made the ambiance more lighter.

Overall, the ride was smooth and enjoyable. that's why i mentioned in my last post that the 1.3 MJD is tempting. The 1.4 was not available for the TD and hopefully, a final decision would be made after the TD of the 1.4. the drive may not be full of energy, but considering the driving style which is more sedate, GP surely makes a mark.

NB: Another fellow TBHP-ian who is much more of an auto enthusiast was also with me during the TD. He really ripped the car through the paces while I was in rear seat. The car did feel eager to take more then. Hope he comes up with a more thorough analysis

I've clicked some snaps, which I would upload later in the day

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 18th June 2009 at 15:42.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:27   #732
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Where is GTO?????? why is the review taking so long???????
I guess Fiat never invited team-bhp for the launch hence no review. Either that or GTO is too blown away by the car that he is not able to express his experience in words.

On paper it sounds good just like the Linea. Hopefully it's also equally good to drive unlike the Linea which was an outright disappointment to drive.
Old 18th June 2009, 15:31   #733

It seems that Fiat India is here to stay for much longer period than expected! The pricing of Punto is just right, couldn't have expected any better! Well done FIAT India, great car with even greater pricing! This should take the air out of some over-priced hatches. Grande Punto has everything one could expect in a hatch. I hope they backup this car with equally great service.

Cheers,
Old 18th June 2009, 15:31   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hopefully it's also equally good to drive unlike the Linea which was an outright disappointment to drive.
Did you drive the Linea?
Old 18th June 2009, 15:37   #735
BHPian

@Mysticeyes Thanks - Atlast we have some TD experiences flowing in. We now know what to expect from the GP atleast.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed