Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 19:29   #781
Senior - BHPian

We would also like to know which of the three companie's gave you the biggest / longest TD?
Old 18th June 2009, 19:30   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do you think . Currently out on a 600 km test-drive covering all kinds of terrain (expressway, city, ghats) and road conditions. Unfortunately, the press drives were organised after the launch.

Will have a detailed review uploaded by the weekend.

Wow thats great news!! 600Km man u must be having a great time with Punto!! weekend is too far to wait, we are eager to hear from you!!!!!
Hope u prove that car is really worth and does have good power unlike other people commenting here
Old 18th June 2009, 19:34   #783
BANNED

I m just holding my Advance cheque for GP till the review comes out from u GTO
Old 18th June 2009, 19:40   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do you think . Currently out on a 600 km test-drive covering all kinds of terrain (expressway, city, ghats) and road conditions. Unfortunately, the press drives were organised after the launch.

Will have a detailed review uploaded by the weekend.
This is great news! It show how serious Fiat is, and Fiat's genuine commitment to its customers They have chosen this to having a glitzy launch in Goa against the backdrop of lovely beaches
Old 18th June 2009, 19:49   #785
Senior - BHPian

Btw: Had my own test drive today of a Silver Emotion Diesel. My 2 cents:

Pros:

1) Looks fantastic

2) Ride is great. Soaks up bumps well at low speeds. Even better at medium speeds.

3) Metal built quality/paint quality is good.

4) Comfortable Seats

5) Decent boot (if compared to Maruti hatches)

Cons:

1) Legroom : What was FIAT thinking? I adjusted the seat to my driving position and tried to sit behind the drivers seat, I could not be comfortable! It would be fair to say that the legroom is roughly equivalent to my Accent Viva, which I find really cramped. Old Indica, Vista, i20, Jazz and even the Ritz are way roomier with regards to legroom

2) Interiors : I dont like the design or the built quality. Dont flame me. Its not bad, but for a 6.5 lac (On Road) car, it should have been better.

3) Turning Radius : 5.4 meters!! Accent/Verna have a radius of ~5.0 metres! My huge CRV has a radius of 5.5 metres! The high turning radius was pretty apparent in the TD and was a pain while taking U turns.

4) Quality of Rubber Beading / Gaskets is not great.

Side Note: I perrsonally found the diesel engine adequate. Its quite peppy and drivable in the city. I found it quicker than the linea but I feel my 5 year old Accent CRDi will still run circles around it.

Result: This car is still in consideration. If only I could move the rear seat 4 inches into the boot!

I am sitting on the fence, waiting for GTO's review.

Disclamer: I have never owned a Fiat before but I am seriously in the market for a good hatchback.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 18th June 2009 at 19:51.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:53   #786
Senior - BHPian

600 KM TD! This is definitely worth waiting for!

Most of the TDs so far are coming from 1.3 MJD, I am interested in knowing how the 1.4 behaves before I take the plunge.

To those how have been to showrooms in Bangalore:
anybody has the OTR prices for 1.4 P?
Old 18th June 2009, 19:59   #787
BHPian

Bangalore Prices

Ex Shwroom Bangalore :
Petrol Diesel
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Active 471,798 571,219
Dynamic 549,256 612,735
Emotion 601,065 659,419
Emotion Pack 665,254 723,608

Includes Extended Warranty of 5k
Old 18th June 2009, 19:59   #788
Senior - BHPian

Yes the press drive was today starting from Delhi at 8:30 AM in the morning. They will be driving to a place near shimla, around 300 kms from Delhi and will be back tomorrow evening.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:01   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
600 KM TD! This is definitely worth waiting for!

Most of the TDs so far are coming from 1.3 MJD, I am interested in knowing how the 1.4 behaves before I take the plunge.

To those how have been to showrooms in Bangalore:
anybody has the OTR prices for 1.4 P?
I took the test drive of 1.4 petrol today. All I can say is that the engine is not a peppy one, but decent (I am not an expert in this dep). But its better than i20 for sure

The OTR price for 1.4 petrol emotion pack is 6.66
Old 18th June 2009, 20:04   #790
BHPian

That is amazing. I am waiting for a detailed review.. Just kept my fingers crossed for Punto to come out good..
Old 18th June 2009, 20:41   #791
Senior - BHPian

GP -Fuel Efficiency

Guys have heard that the newly launched GP is not great on fuel efficiency (FE), especially the petrol version.

My doubts are amplified by the facts that FIAT has not published its FE figures, had the figures been good they would have shouted aloud like the Suzuki's.

I know I am sounding a bit harsh but looks like my fears are true. Even zig wheels have reported low FE figures for even the Diesel version.

I will be happy if I am proven wrong on my FE apprehensions. Waiting for GTO's long drive views to take a final call.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:58   #792
ada
BHPian

So now with all these feed backs coming in, Iam not at all ashamed to have booked Ritz. Punto is a nice car, but Ritz too has a space in motoring world.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:00   #793
BHPian

Brief Test Drive

Took time-out to have test drive of top end diesel, it was brief as the test drive vehical did'nt have enough fuel in it. Here is my impression.

1. Outside build, doors feel really heavy, panels very tight put together
  2. Fantastic paint Job
  3. Very good looking front end, back is so-so. Though for me Vista's frond is still the most imposing one, you need to see the one on-coming to observe it
  4. Good ride better than the swift but nowhere close to Vista's
  5. Good feature list
  6. More boot space but at the cost of, you know...what
  7. Interior fit and finish is very good, though the shiny black plastic looked cheap
  8. Gear-shift is smooth like butter and precise
  9. Reasonable price
Dislikes:
  1. Yes, the major one, Backseat legroom. Push the seats back fully, and I feel many would do, you just can't enter the backseat. You will have to directly jump on to it.
  2. Somehow I could not find a good driving position. Not good thigh support. Something above the clutch was touching the top of my boot while turning the wheel. Very long clutch play. Found Vista way more comfortable.
  3. First gear is really short almost felt like NA Indica. Depressed the acc. fully and nothing happens. You have to change quickly to 2nd, after that things are more smooth and zippy. Vista felt more peppier.
  4. Steering is not light like Marutis or Hyundias. It is more like Tatas specially Vista, some people may find it heavy.
  5. Shiny black inetrior does not feel rich. It looks and feels hard and not soft.
  6. Overall interiors are not roomy at all, specially in Tata show-room where along side you see a way more spacious cars Vista, CS etc.
  7. Dash design somehow does not appeal to you. Vista's cylindrical dash looks more aeshthetic. Dials are OK, nothing special about them.
  8. Indicator stalks are on the left hand side
So overall, I came out with mixed feelings, not as excited as I had anticipated. I feel, people entering Tata show-rooms will come out confused but if your priorities are clear then no confusion. Peopel looking for solid build and exlusive looks will go for Punto and peopel rating Ride, Comfort and space high on their priority list will choose Vista.
These are observations and mostly compared to Vista and I could see them side by side and drive back to back.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:00   #794
BHPian

Going by logic if Linea petrol returns 10~11 in the city as mentioned in a lot of posts, the same engine on a similar much lighter car should yield better results (1240 kg vs 1140 kg).
Old 18th June 2009, 21:02   #795
BHPian

I had a look at the car today at Prerana Motors. I felt that the space inside was not significantly more than the B segment cars (roughly the same as my Santro). The boot is quite a lot bigger, though. They are giving out TD from Monday.

I was thinking of buying the GP for a very strong reason, my wife manages the team that has written the software for its (and all other Fiat's) audio system. But considering the small size and the not so great petrol engines (I drive around 200 km/month, so diesel doesn't make sense for me), I think I am going to give it a miss.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed