Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 22:43   #46
BHPian

re: Toyota future plans for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
My replies in Bold.

Welcome Lexus big time to India, and also the Rush. Can't wait to get it here with 1.4D4D.

Weirdly, Don't know what to feel when hearing that Innova will be priced under 22lacs. Relieved or frustrated?
DicKy that is only top end model OTR. The base models will continue to be say 14-16 lakhs OTR which won't be bad for an all new model with new engines and new power trains with AT as well.

Already the current top end Innova ZX costs 20 lakhs OTR in some markets like Bangalore and Bombay.

The taxi segment doesn't pay as much because of lower excise and lower road taxes (they pay only annual road tax not life time in most states) so it doesn't cost them much. And from a cost of ownership perspective including resale it actually makes sense for them to buy Innova over other competing MPVs. Of course customer preference also helps.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 23:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
DicKy that is only top end model OTR. The base models will continue to be say 14-16 lakhs OTR .........
Thanks, but am pretty much sure that the automatic version would be offered only in the Top end version.

If they don't detune the 2.4l by much,give an AT and 6 airbags, more than willing to pay 22lacs for it, given that the new one will be vastly improved over the already capable present one.

But, if they are planning to pull a quick one with a 118bhp engine and 2 airbags for 22lakhs, then i would be much disappointed as i had made dad postpone our Innova purchase for almost two years and fended off threats from XUVs and the small MPV brigade.

So , that's the reason of my apprehension.

And BTW, about Lexus, i don't think the diesel engine handicap would be an issue, the buyers can see through it. The problem is Lexus sticking with Made in Japan, which doesn't bode well for our CBU taxes, and i don't want to see the 3 series size Lexus IS hybrid selling for 60-70lacs here, lke they do in Thailand.
Old 6th June 2015, 23:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Thanks, but am pretty much sure that the automatic version would be offered only in the Top end version.

If they don't detune the 2.4l by much,give an AT and 6 airbags, more than willing to pay 22lacs for it, given that the new one will be vastly improved over the already capable present one.

But, if they are planning to pull a quick one with a 118bhp engine and 2 airbags for 22lakhs, then i would be much disappointed as i had made dad postpone our Innova purchase for almost two years and fended off threats from XUVs and the small MPV brigade.

So , that's the reason of my apprehension.

And BTW, about Lexus, i don't think the diesel engine handicap would be an issue, the buyers can see through it. The problem is Lexus sticking with Made in Japan, which doesn't bode well for our CBU taxes, and i don't want to see the 3 series size Lexus IS hybrid selling for 60-70lacs here, lke they do in Thailand.
Internationally when they unveiled the GD series engines in Vienna it was unveiled in only two forms:

The 1GD FTV-VN with 420/450 NM torque and 177 BHP power when mated with 6-speed manual and automatic gearboxes respectively. This will do duty in Fortuner, Hilux, Prado and if some rumours are to be believed even LC200. Torque will not vary from vehicle to vehicle but power may be different in different vehicles and in different markets.
I think this engine is definitely not be offered in Innova.

The 2GD FTV-VN with 400/343 NM torque and 160 BHP of power will be offered in Innova. 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic is confirmed for Innova. See my earlier post in all new Innova thread which Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar confirmed it.

As far as safety aspects are concerned I am quite hopeful because of a few reasons:

1. The recent events regarding new launches from TKM like camry Hybrid being offered with 7 airbags etc.

2. News of dual front air bags and from January 2016 even ABS being standard across all models. How will they differentiate VX or ZX trim of Innova with E trim when both come with only two air bags?

3. I was watching/reading couple of Interviews of Naomi Ishii CMD TKM, this guy is giving immense importance to safety and fuel efficiency. This is getting reflected in their new launches (Camry Hybrid).

4. Globally the Hilux, which also belongs to the same IMV platform was offered with 7 airbags in it's top dual cab configuration, which is sign that even Innova will be offered with plenty of air bags and safety technologies. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 09:28   #49
BHPian

Toyota has been offering the Vios sedan and the Yaris hatchback in Asian countries for a long time. Is there any chance these vehicles will be released for us? Or will the costs be too prohibitive considering the fact that Toyota vehicles are priced way above affordable vehicles of similar specifications?
Old 10th June 2015, 12:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
1. Lexus will be launched this year.

3. As suspected by many fellow BHPians the current Innova's production will stop in about 3 months time to make way for an all new model.

4. Current Innova will continue to be produced in it's commercially popular trim GX for a year mainly catering for taxi segment. No other trim like E, G, VX and ZX of current Innova after 3 months from now.

Regards.
Great news on Lexus launch. But highly doubt it will sell as much as any of the Big 3 germans as it will be coming through CBU route.

If current Innova is stopping in 3 months and new one is launching only next year, Personal buyers will not have an option to buy for almost 4-5 months then. Isn't it?
Old 10th June 2015, 14:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota future plans for India

Quote:

1. Lexus will be launched this year.

5. All new Innova will have an ex-showroom price hike of 1-1.5 lakhs translating to no more than 22 lakhs on road for the highest trim.

6. All new Innova will be initially restricted for a year for personal buyers only.
I seriously doubt the Lexus part.

22L even for top end seems too much. But lets wait to touch & feel the car and see it's features.

How will they restrict sales to personal buyers? I see many private registration Innova's being used as taxi's.
Old 10th June 2015, 14:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Also, what plans for the Etios twins?
When can we get a wishlist resolution:
1) Proper dash with a better speedo console
2) MID
3) Electronic ORVM with retract
4) Preferably a rear AC vent
5) Better interiors
6) Better ICE
7) Exteriors tweaked
8) Tacho in G trim......

Well, well, asking for the moon??
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 17:54   #53
BHPian

Heard from a little birdie that Nandi Toyota(the group/Owner) has been appointed as the official dealer for Lexus in Karnataka and that their first Lexus showroom is almost done. It is apparently located in the electronic city main road. Which if I remember correctly is the Hosur Road while coming from Chennai(?). I believe there is also a huge Nandi Toyota dealership located there. Can some Bengaluru BHP-ian confirm. Is the birdie reliable I guess I have to wait and watch!
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 19:04   #54
BHPian

Yes Nandi toyota is located on Hosur road on way to electronic city. It's called the Kudlu gate area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I believe there is also a huge Nandi Toyota dealership located there. Can some Bengaluru BHP-ian confirm. Is the birdie reliable I guess I have to wait and watch!
Bhodrolok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 20:29   #55
BHPian

Since Toyota is selling Prado for 90 L . They may price NX anywhere between 50 - 55 L and RX between 70-75 L for Lexus. Waiting to see how many cars Lexus sell with that price. Also waiting to see if they replace the Gasoline V6s with Diesels for India
Old 11th June 2015, 00:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

So, it seems the rumours about Rush are right. I've been hearing this for about a year. My relative owns a Toyota, and he broke the news to me about a year back, but I denied it with scepticism. There was no confirmation on team-bhp, and such is the impact. But it seems I've to admit him that he is right.
Old 11th June 2015, 04:38   #57
BHPian

Lexus is coming for sure. I was informed by a dealer that the launch will happen at the expo and was told that they are pre-ordering a few dealer vehicles soon.
Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 10:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Lexus is not offering any of their cars in diesel's anymore. I remember reading it somewhere that to comply with strict emission regulations in EU, Lexus had to take a call on whether they would go the diesel or hybrid way. Eventually, they chose to go with hybrid's although diesel's dominate the segments in which Lexus plays in Europe. The idea was to become the de facto brand of choice in 15-20 years from now when hybrid cars would become the norm rather then the exception.

Even in developed markets like Europe, Lexus is playing for gains 15-20 years from now (I wouldn't include US because Lexus is already a big player there & is within striking distance of the Germans). India has barely woken up to emissions which means it will take that much longer for hybrids to make in-roads into India unless the government moves fast on this issue. The hybrid range will help Lexus differentiate themselves from the diesel crowd in our market but how well this differentiation technique will help them commercially?

Add to it, the fact that our market in that segment is still limited in terms of number's compared to even China & Toyota's penchant for over pricing their cars here means Lexus's pull post the initial honeymoon phase with India has the potential of tapering off. It will be interesting to see Toyota's business strategy with Lexus in India.

Personally, I think Lexus's gamble in Europe will pay off big in the next decade especially since even today whenever we think hybrid, the first brand that comes to our mind's is Lexus.

Last edited by amit : 11th June 2015 at 10:52.
amit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:07   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Internationally when they unveiled the GD series engines in Vienna it was unveiled in only two forms:
Thanks MrOptimist. I infer that the new innova will see a diwali launch?

Also, if you could clear the air on whether

- The Fortuner will be co launched wit the Innova?
- The Hilux will be launched in India?
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Thanks MrOptimist. I infer that the new innova will see a diwali launch?

Also, if you could clear the air on whether

- The Fortuner will be co launched wit the Innova?
- The Hilux will be launched in India?
The All new Innova 2016 may be launched in Diwali or definitely in Auto Expo 2016 by Feb. After all two most important markets for Innova are India and Indonesia. It may be first unveiled in Indonesia though.

The All new Fortuner 2016 is definitely not coming before Auto Expo. The global unveiling may happen on 28th July in Thailand. I might come to know something more early next month (After 5th July). Because it is CKD, once Fortuner is launched in Thailand it is just a matter of time (read a maximum of few months) before we get it in India. Expect both Innova and Fortuner to be fully loaded with safety features.

As far as HiLux is concerned because India as a market does not like luxury picku-ps the same way as say Australia, Thailand or South Africa we may not get it at all (read next five years at least). This is my reading of the market. Market dynamics may change though and I might be proved wrong.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks