Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 09:41   #1
BHPian

Vista TDI resale value

Hi Guys,

I am going onsite to Singapore that is possibly going to be long term(2 years atleast). I had bought the Indica Vista TDI Aqua in Dec' 08(6 months old now) and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and done 8.5 K kms.

I had paid 4.58 Lacs on road Bangalore and spend about 20k on accessories like seat covers, ICE, Tints.

What is the resale that I can expect if I sell right now? I hope to stay in Singapore for atleast 2 years, but I may not like the place and in the worst case scenario may come back after 6 months and will need a car.

So I am in a dilemma on whether I should sell it now or wait for 6 months to see how my prospects are and then sell it. Is there going to be a difference in resale in both the above scenarios?

Please advise.

Cheers,
Revhappy
Old 14th June 2009, 10:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

damn revhappy. you're gonna lose a ton in resale. best option would be to hand it over to family or someone very close for them to use a little longer.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Like greenhorn said. Give it to some trusted relative. And if you like where you are staying then ask them to sell it off for you.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

+1 to the suggestion of handing over to a relative.

But if you do decide to sell, be prepared to take a good hit. And I am sure you are going to receive a lot of PM's with offers to buy the vehicle, but definitely at a price you wouldn't have thought of!
Old 14th June 2009, 12:51   #5
BANNED

Dont Sell!

Selling it will knock of almost half the price and more if it had been the Safire petrol Vista. I recommend you to give it to a freind or relative as the other people have said as you wont get more than 2lacs for a six moth old car.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocarcr View Post
Selling it will knock of almost half the price and more if it had been the Safire petrol Vista. I recommend you to give it to a freind or relative as the other people have said as you wont get more than 2lacs for a six moth old car.

2 lakhs now for a new car he paid 4.78 Lakhs including accessories about 6 months back . A 2 year old Alto would fetch much more than that. Talk about heartbreak and you can have this
Old 14th June 2009, 13:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you arrive at that figure. At the most he may loose a lakh. Resale values of the Vista are not that bad.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any car takes the biggest depreciation hit in its first year. But saying one wont get more than 2 lacs for a six month old Diesel Vista is being stupid. Even Chevrolets don't suffer that kind of depreciation.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

expect the resale value to be around 1lac or lac and half lesser as first year affects the most, as others said better if some relative could take care, if you are not returning before yousaid 2 or more years ask them to sale it then.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:32   #10
BHPian

check the car value with some dealer. Also check the valutaion of similar cars on other Indian websites, there soome 2007 indica Turbo's with more than 40k on odo are going for atleast 3.5. The least you can expect is atleast 80% of what u have paid.

But in case u have plans to come back leave it with someone for a few months. Also the additional ddeprication would be less as well
Old 14th June 2009, 16:00   #11
BHPian

According to carwale.com a similarly spec'ed Indica V2 turbo could fetch a person 3.21 Lakh. That amounts to approx 20% depreciation. I'm sure a Vista would be able to fetch a better resale value.
Old 14th June 2009, 16:27   #12
aby
BHPian

There are two kinds of losses you will suffer. Firstly you will lose out on resale value, because of additional depreciation. IMO this will be minor, because yours is a new car. At best you will lose about 10k

Second and more significantly you will lose out on the interest you would get if you sell the car and put the money in bank. In case you have financed it, then you will pay for the financing costs. Assuming you can recover 3.6L, you will lose about 18k in interest costs alone.

Third cost will be the cost of renewing your insurance in December 09. Comprehensive insurance will put you back by around 10k.

So in total you lose about 10k+18k+10k or about 38k by keeping the car alone.

My suggestion: Unless there is a significant chance of your coming back, you can sell it off. Anyway there are a slew of cars coming to market next year and you can choose then.
Old 14th June 2009, 18:58   #13
BHPian

hi,

If you do not have the option of keeping it at home with a trusted relative and have to sell it off, would suggest to sell it to a good friend or a known tbhpian.
Old 14th June 2009, 20:27   #14
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma a few years back when I had to go to US. I sold an almost brand new Santro for a lakh less. I thought I would be in the US for at least 3 years but came back after 2. Instead of selling, I should have left with someone trusted to take care of the car. And Singapore is not so far off. I f you later intent to ay back longer, you can always sell it when you are back for a vacation or short stay.
Old 14th June 2009, 21:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The depriciation you are talking about is too much,its a indica not a san storm that would shrink to just half the price in six months.

Most Viewed