Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 11:29   #31
BHPian

Sumo already is/was available in 4x4 version. seen quite a few. Mostly in army fatigues, and a handfull in civillian colors. Visually difference is front hub, and wheelarc flares. Engine used is the 90 bhp, turbo IDI engine.

Do i post the the link like this??

http://www.defencesolutions-tatamoto...ured-sumo.html

though the versions I have seen didn't look like armoured.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 11th January 2010 at 11:31.
Old 11th January 2010, 23:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the infor braugh!!!!
Old 12th January 2010, 00:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

here's the civillian version
TATA Motors - Utility Vehicles

and a t bhp thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l-drive-2.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th January 2010 at 00:08.
Old 12th January 2010, 00:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Greenhorn other than the armoured version , have you seen any 4X4 sumo on Kerala roads ?

I just wonder why I didn't came to know the Sumos are also availiable in 4X4
Old 12th January 2010, 02:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
TATA Motors has been supplying logistic and armoured vehicles for peacekeeping missions, not only to Indian defence forces, but also forces from other countries in the SAARC region. India is the third largest contributor to the UN peacekeeping operations.
Since 1958, Tata Motors has proudly provided over 100,000 vehicles to military and paramilitary forces of various countries around the world.
TATA Motors | Peacekeeping Missions

Fantastic piece of trivia. I love the fact that Tata does so much more than M&M and keeps surprising the naysayers (who just go on and on about Tata's unreliability but keep forgetting that they are stuck in a time 10 years back).

In my own opinion, Tata has it's hands full right now. I am not sure if a Jeep is what they can afford to spend time on, if for nothing else, the lack of good engineers on board and R&D budgets being stretched.

OT: Actually M&M's engineering is way cruder than Tata's and that was a reason for their so called reliability. The Scorpio and Xylo are actually pretty poor cars, I don't know why people say that Sumo's and Safari's are rotten handlers when the Scorpio is worse than the both of them. The fact that they have a good marketing team helps because they have been able to steadily increase the price at which the Scorpio sells with the customer still agreeing to loosen the purse strings.
Old 12th January 2010, 05:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

They did a Spacio with a soft top (lesser weight), plonk in the 4 cyl direct injection 3.0 (no Dicor, but the classic 407 spec, it'll cut costs as well), roll bars (the Sumo has been crah tested which is a big +) and the 4x4 drive train, will be an interesting alternative. Options could include a winch, spot lights, tow hook etc.
I know Tata will never make it but could be an interesting & cheap alternative, but will never have the classic good looks of the Willys though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks