Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:00   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
The Omni is nothing but a tall 800 with the driver sitting on the bonnet to make up some space for the occupants inside. Absence of a bonnet makes it even more vulnerable than the car form factor.To top it all, there is no A/C, which should be one of the prime considerations while making a car for a tropical country.
Agree with Mpower,
except for the differently tunes engine, the two cars are vastly different.Maybe ,the dashboard resembled the 1st gen 800,other than that nothing else.
It's a van!!! That too a 20 year old design.Well it was not designed for the highways really.
And the A/C bit, yes that's a glaring omission, but most people don't really care.especially those buying OMNI,
BTW, isn't the two storage spaces under the music system,provisions for A/C vent? But with the present engine, can't imagine an A/C.
Old 6th November 2010, 08:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting and nostalgic thread. I have quite a love-hate relationship with this car, and would've loved to write a tribute to it myself. Wonder how I missed this earlier!

Since most of the technical details have been put down already, I'll just put down 3 separate chronicles of my interactions with India's own Renault Espace:

Baby mobile - In 1985, my Dad's close friend bought a high roof, tomato red Maruti Van. It didn't have AC, no stereo, no modern accouterments. The 2 families used to go out together often, and the car became our reliable steed for all these outings.

Both the uncle's daughter and I were 4 years old at that time. In hindsight, it was funny to be reminded of the seating arrangement. The Dads would sit in front, with all the authority of a zamindar on a visit to his property. The mothers would occupy the middle row, which (more so in the absence of a stereo) would be the noisiest zone inside the car. The kids (and this is most interesting) would be seated in the loading bay, on 2 cane stools the uncle had specially bought for this purpose! Yes, in 1985, this was the concept of child safety seats! we'd merrily perch ourselves on those small stools and peer out of the windows to see the scenery flash by.

Once, and this is even more startling, the dad's allowed us our personal grand view. It was Durga Puja time in Kolkata. The dads lifted up the rear door and allowed us to sit on the rear sill, legs hanging out, while the car was driven very slowly (in peak Puja traffic, thats the only way you can drive) around town.

That particular car stayed with uncle for around 9 years, and was replaced by another Omni - this time a dark blue, low roof, AC version. Now the man owns a Chevrolet UV-A, but still misses his days of van ownership.

Flip-Kart - The stretch between Karunamoyee (in Salt Lake) and Park Circus is one of the most populated (by office commuters) yet has the least bus service. Private shuttle taxi operators have flourished here. Mostly old Omnis, converted to LPG, ferrying 8 passengers with least thought given to vehicle safety and speed.

This story dates back to 1999, when the shuttle service had just started. I was going to meet a girl for a movie date. I get into a packed Omni, am made to sit at the right window of the middle row. The car is cruising on Eastern Byepass, and the driver is merrily chatting with a passenger on the front seat. I see an Ambassador trying to overtake the Omni from the right, driving precariously close to the Omni. At the same time, the Omni driver, without looking, steers to the right!

Mayhem follows. The sides of the van and the amby collide. In a flash, the van swivels around 90 degrees, facing the Amby like a "T". At that speed, there was no way the Amby can brake. It rams into the right door of the van, overturning it. Then the van starts getting pushed to the edge of the road. I still recollect the horror, and the screeching sound as I lie upside down and try to realize where the car is going!

Miraculously, while some of the occupants were hurt pretty bad, I escaped without ANY injuries - just a sprained back. When the car stopped, I was the first person to get out, pulling away the sliding door which was now on top of me and hauling myself out. I also helped the bystanders as they extricated the remaining passengers trapped inside the van.

That incident was like a first hand training in the dangers the Omni's high center of gravity promise. Since then, I've always been wary of taking a ride in Omnis. When I'm on a trip and our family needs a tourist taxi, I insist on not taking an Omni, even if the consequent Sumo/Indica warrants higher rates.

Van-Baba - My wife's Tauji is a Maruti van baba to say the least. He's owned no other cars, only Maruti Vans in his life. All his cars (except one) have been bought from the showroom. They've never seen the inside of a MASS, only the garage of his most trusted mechanic. Each car has been owned for atleast 5 years, and driven more than 1 lakh kms before selling.

I asked him why the craze for Vans? His answer was - He's so used to driving vans and looking out on to the road from that driving position, now he can't drive any car which has any sort of frontage! Moreover, the vans help him carry his goods (he has a business of electrical goods) from workshop to store, and its the only load hauler which does not to be registered as a commercial vehicle!

So how have I helped this man evolve in his life? After 2 years of persuasion, he's agreed to come with me and take a test drive of a Maruti Eeco! Watch this space.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2010 at 22:25. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 6th November 2010, 11:01   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

@predatorwheelz- Your van-baba is a so typical OMNI owner.
And ,yes , the EECO would be the best logical upgrade for him. He won't lose his OMNI advantages as well as in the process gaining many things that he would miss in the OMNI.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:06   #49
BHPian

Re: The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)

This thread takes me back to the time I had a Omni in 1986. My wife , two kids and I have used this van to drive to Munnar, Kodai, Goa and so many other places. We replaced it after 7 years with an Alto because of the lack of an aircon. the only problem I had with this van was the the brakes (this model did not have disc brakes infront) which would frequently cause the vehicle to pull to the right or left when I hit the brakes hard. Would love to hav a van again. i think I will settle for the EECO!
Regards,
Ashok
Old 25th March 2011, 17:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
That particular car stayed with uncle for around 9 years, and was replaced by another Omni - this time a dark blue, low roof, AC version.
I don't think the Omni ever came with a A/c version. I am telling this because, in 1997 we bought a second hand 1994 model Omni , and then after using it for 6 years, in November 2003, we again bought a New Omni and there was no A/C version that time. We wanted to go for Versa just because of the A/c and power steering but that was a little overbudget.
The Omni is still the only car that's doing service with my Parents in Patna apart from the 1984/5 LML Vespa.

I also have very find memories of the Omni. Will pen it sometime later

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 25th March 2011 at 17:47.
Old 25th March 2011, 20:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I don't think the Omni ever came with a A/c version. I am telling this because, in 1997 we bought a second hand 1994 model Omni , and then after using it for 6 years, in November 2003, we again bought a New Omni and there was no A/C version that time. We wanted to go for Versa just because of the A/c and power steering but that was a little overbudget.
The Omni is still the only car that's doing service with my Parents in Patna apart from the 1984/5 LML Vespa.

I also have very find memories of the Omni. Will pen it sometime later
AC TG ie. Air Conditioned, Tinted Glasses came in 1987 we had got one brand new from Resham Motors, Mumbai
the van had seriouse problem of Fuel Pump Failure with AC on , van used to just stop midway and we had to remove passengrer seat pour water from bottle over the fuel pump and wait for a while and then start and proceed , to repeat this process after about another half an hour drive.
This problem was solved by Maruti by recalling all ACTG vans and replacing FP by imported ones. Luckily my van came with imported FP from the factory itself
Old 8th April 2011, 23:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
AC TG ie. Air Conditioned, Tinted Glasses came in 1987 we had got one brand new from Resham Motors, Mumbai
the van had seriouse problem of Fuel Pump Failure with AC on , van used to just stop midway and we had to remove passengrer seat pour water from bottle over the fuel pump and wait for a while and then start and proceed , to repeat this process after about another half an hour drive.
This problem was solved by Maruti by recalling all ACTG vans and replacing FP by imported ones. Luckily my van came with imported FP from the factory itself
They had started AC vans production for small period recently but again stopped for no reasons.
Old 28th June 2012, 19:08   #53
BHPian

All new(?) Maruti Omni Demister... launched..!

Hi,
Today I have visited local Maruti Suzuki dealer M/s.Bharath Automobiles in Mangalore to see brand new Maruthi Omni Demister! after watching an advertisement in local daily saying that brand new Maruthi Omni Demister is available in the showrooms.I had a shock of my life time to see same old Omni with heater and blower and this is badged as "brand new Maruthi Omni Demister"
A big blower/heater is fixed below the dash board and its vent is directed to the windshield to de-mistify the windshield... Thats all! What an idea! I had great expectation that there will be A/c., interior change, new instruments, better suspension with anti-roll bar etc., The blower is so huge that it eats up the valuable floor space in front..! ( bad news for persons who are planning to upgrade from three wheeler rickshaw to Omni to ferry school children because a small boy can easily fit over there and the capacity of Omni will be less...!)

Omni, I mean, so called "Brand New Omni Demister" is costing more over Rs.3 lakhs now on road! And it is the same old wine, and not even in new bottle!. What to say... I am feeling dizzy!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks

Last edited by noopster : 28th June 2012 at 19:51. Reason: Please limit yourself to 2 smileys per post. Thanks!
Old 28th June 2012, 19:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: All new(?) Maruti Omni Demister... launched..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Omni, I mean, so called "Brand New Omni Demister" is costing more over Rs.3 lakhs now on road! And it is the same old wine..and not even in new bottle!. What to say... I am feeling dizzy...!
This is nothing new from Maruti stables. They just want to try tp spruce up sales somehow. Look at the SX4 celebration edition. Its nothing but couple of pillows .

It is definetly going to be a sales dud and not push sales even by one number. Are limited editions become so pathetic and taking customers for a ride
Old 28th June 2012, 23:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This is nothing new from Maruti stables. They just want to try tp spruce up sales somehow. Look at the SX4 celebration edition. Its nothing but couple of pillows .

It is definetly going to be a sales dud and not push sales even by one number. Are limited editions become so pathetic and taking customers for a ride
i do not think apart from the two door zen maruti ever tried to offer somthing really special in a limited edition model.
siedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 23:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

I was owning a 1991 model Omni, purchased in 1993 and used it till 1999. The Omni was good as it can move a home inside. I really loved every day of the ownership.
BTB, seeing the pictures of the sliding roof Omni, the difference noticed is that it doesn't have the roof lining. And I was not aware of such a version until this moment.
Old 30th September 2012, 23:13   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

A Maruti pavilion in an expo during the 1980's. A Gypsy is also on display while a High Roof Van can be seen in the background.The Van is badged as SUZUKI and should be an import.

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-picture-005.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th September 2012 at 23:14.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 23:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Maruti pavilion in an expo during the 1980's. A Gypsy is also on display while a High Roof Van can be seen in the background.The Van is badged as SUZUKI and should be an import.

Attachment 994179
yes, it seems import. you can see CARRY written on it. because suzuki van is also known as suzuki carry or chevrolet super carry in international market.
Old 30th September 2012, 23:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Swapped our BS3 omni with a BS4 Version of the same car. That makes us having owned all four bharat stage omnis, excluding the suzuki version. This car is mainly used in our native for basic transportation needs and movement of small sized luggage. The BS 3 omni had done 75k kms in four years of life with us. Yesterday, it was exchanged with true value for a new silky silver one. Noticeable changes are a better suspension tuning, which has reduced bounciness at the rear, and the great demister. What a waste of the huge blower IMO. At least they could have used the previous air vents to direct air towards passengers too, instead of just the windscreen. And tubeless tyres were standard, which was not so in the earlier version.

Happy that Maruti is still selling this car. For the budget and requirement, no car can beat the utility of an Omni. Also they areadding bits and pieces here and there. Till date, I dont see a real alternative to this car, not even the eeco. As we cant use other cars for the purpose this van serves, buying another omni was the only option.

Sad that sheet metal gets thinner with every succeeding version of the car.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th September 2012 at 23:55.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 08:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Swapped our BS3 omni with a BS4 Version of the same car. That makes us having owned all four bharat stage omnis, excluding the suzuki version.
Good to know people are still buying the Omni in 2012. Can you post some pics of the 2012 Omni for us?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks