Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 14:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 85 van was not fitted with an AC, but we did fit one later, aftermarket for 8500 rupees. We bought the curtain OE, and fitted that too. One day, way before the 3rd row was introduced, we were driving to Goa and saw a van with a 3rd row fitted. Taking inspiration from there, we fitted a 3rd row seat from a Mahindra Jeep.

The quest for me to own an 85 Tomato red MAF van, while strange to some, is simply for childhood memories. The quaint/characteristic sounds it made while sliding the doors, cranking her up, the different horns (fitted only to the earliest cars), the reeking smell of the black and white chequered rexine upholstry with wet dog and kids in it get me all misty eyed.

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-0an06.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2009, 21:29   #17
BHPian

van with sliding roof OE

this is not the only van with sliding roof , quite a few vans in bangalore . guys be precise before you reply my posting. see the difference between the sliding door and the sliding roof as you guys mentioned
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc06359.jpg  

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc06350.jpg  

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc06351.jpg  

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc06352.jpg  

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc06354.jpg  

The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc06355.jpg  

imperial.s.a is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2009, 22:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
So much emotion for a little Maruti? But why?
Just to add some trivia, from memory, can be corrected, will not argue

Cheers harit
Dear Harit,

Your post was quite informative and made me really nostalgic. It just takes me back to where I was this afternoon, when I hailed one of the new Omni Taxi. I sat in the front and simply loved the way the car manoeuvred on congested mumbai roads. It is indeed a good replacement to some extent.
I remember my uncle owning one in the early 80s, a dark brown colour one with black seats and black and white centre design. This upholstery was same for the 800s too. No A/c, power steering, abs , disc brakes, yet somewhat of a luxury in those days.
The only extra fitting done one car were the folding seats with a velcro strap to hold it, in the boot. As kids that was our place on family outings.
I would love to own one, however safety issues and no A/c means every day travel is troublesome.
Old 14th June 2009, 00:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
this is not the only van with sliding roof , quite a few vans in bangalore . guys be precise before you reply my posting. see the difference between the sliding door and the sliding roof as you guys mentioned
To the best of my knowledge, this sliding roof was never Maruti factory fitted. In my opinion, after market or dealer accessory.
Please check, I am sure about this.

Cheers harit
Old 14th June 2009, 10:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, this sliding roof was never Maruti factory fitted. In my opinion, after market or dealer accessory.

Cheers harit
+1, I too was quite surprised to see the sliding roof pics since till date, I've never seen or heard about one being factory fitted for the Maruti Van ! Maybe this was an after market fitting ?
Old 14th June 2009, 10:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
the photograph posted is taken delivery from mandovi motors bangalore with the sliding roof OE from maruti udyog . to my knowledge there are quiet a few similar vans in bangalore.its not after market or an accessory.
Old 14th June 2009, 10:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

thread hijacking

yes guys, it would be better if maruti van lovers start a separate thread for that.
by the way with harit,kannan, JayD that there was no sliding roof for any MARUTI VAN that came as OE.maybe MANDOVI motors must have given it as a dealer option.also to the best of my knowledge there is no such van anywhere in southern kerala.
Old 14th June 2009, 10:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
i think there was only the luggage compartment behind that separator/curtain, no jump seats/third row of seats
No jump seats for sure but the plastic thing hung just behind the front seats so if you were driving alone it could be employed to just keep the cabin area cool without having to cool the entire van.

Also that sun roof is an afternarket job which is clear from the workmanship on it and its concept. If it was from the factory the roof panel would have sid under the roof lining not outise like it is on this van.

Most definitely a dealer or aftermarket installation.

By all accounts the van was quiet a dangerous car, saw plenty of these rolling when one took a sharp turn. Also this was the first passenger van to be sold on such a large scale and the fact that ther was no front overhang too some getting used to. I remember a passenge in one screaching when I pulled up close to another car in front.

Last edited by wasif : 14th June 2009 at 11:07.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:24   #24
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

Please continue further discussion on the Omni here. The Omni discussion has been split from the SS80 thread.

Thanks.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:30   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The sliding roof could have been factory fitted on request by MUL, but it definitely was not available as an additional accessory or a standard fitment.

I remember us owning 2 Maruti vans - one blue low roof model and a dark brown high roof model. Both were used on our trips to Mangalore and we finally exchanged the high roof for the low roof model. The vans were comfortable but dangerous. I remember one of my dad's friends had a low-roof van completely customised with the facing bench seats and a bar, fridge, curtains fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-2.jpg  

Last edited by v12 : 14th June 2009 at 11:38.
Old 14th June 2009, 20:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
No jump seats for sure but the plastic thing hung just behind the front seats so if you were driving alone it could be employed to just keep the cabin area cool without having to cool the entire van.

Also that sun roof is an afternarket job which is clear from the workmanship on it and its concept. If it was from the factory the roof panel would have sid under the roof lining not outise like it is on this van.

Most definitely a dealer or aftermarket installation.

By all accounts the van was quiet a dangerous car, saw plenty of these rolling when one took a sharp turn. Also this was the first passenger van to be sold on such a large scale and the fact that ther was no front overhang too some getting used to. I remember a passenge in one screaching when I pulled up close to another car in front.
the roof is not after market the condition is because the coast this particular van is painted six or seven times totally about 48 sliding roof vans were delivered by maruti udyog guys prove this is after market will be rewarded
Old 15th June 2009, 10:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic

This brings back me to 2001, when I was owning a second hand Omni (95 Model), Poorly maintained by the previous owner, and I suffered a lot since I bought mistakenly. I sent almost 30000 in an year and during that time it gave me all troubles, and led me to a huge economical crisis.
By God's grace, I was able to exchange it for a New Santro during 2002 November.

I can't forget on very bad indecent happened to me, and we (my Wife and 1 year old son) escaped from an Accident.

I gave my Omni to change the suspension to a road side mechanic (called himself an expert in Martuti cars), he did a good job that night, gave me a test drive, reached 100 kms and I was very much satisfied with his job.

The next day, when i started the car with my family for a 200kms drive to my native, I found a wheel wobbling, slow downed to II gear and reduced the speed much. Then suddenly the car hit the road with a huge noise, and i couldn't imaging what happened, and stopped the car.

I got down, and saw one wheel is missing in the back, and found it about 10 meters back and also the nuts scattered on the road. Just about the wheel, on the seat, my son was sleeping peacefully .

What even more bothering was, The guy who fitted the tired never tighten the screws, and I was saved my God's will the previous night during his test drive on a very high speed.

Two things I still do from that day:

1. Check the tyres whenever you give your car for a wheel alignment or punctures. Check whether the screws are tightened up well.
2. Never take the car out of city just the next day after any major service.

:-)
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2009, 12:40   #28
BHPian

Whoa! OMNI with sliding roof, now thats interesting.

We still own Maruti Omni, its one of the initial 8 seaters launched in 1997. Its been more than 12 years now and I will soon be selling it off to buy a new car, best part being some people have offered 85k for this model in Noida. But I know they will convert it into dangerous school van which is not acceptable to me. So still keeping the car with me. A pic from my latest Char Cham trip.

I once even planned to do Leh in this, but couldn't convince my family, as they found it too underpowered and dangerous on this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc01007.jpg  

Old 29th June 2009, 13:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a chocolate coloured high roof van parked and sadly forgotten, quite close to my place, will try and upload some pics shortly, it has had some modifications done to the front end to accomodate the newer vans' rectangular headlights.
Old 29th June 2009, 14:06   #30
BHPian

I once even planned to do Leh in this, but couldn't convince my family, as they found it too underpowered and dangerous on this.[/quote]

If you are really serious, I would love to take my omni to that heights.

Wanna join sometime,
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)-dsc01859.jpg  

Most Viewed