Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 22:43   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Then how do you stand M&M products both Scorpio and Xylo not to mention that revered box on wheel called Trax Gurkha.

Reason for failure lies elsewhere.
M&M makes up for the lack of looks by providing dependable vehicles that have a low cost of ownership. This explains the sales of the Scorpio/Bolero/Xylo. With the Grande, you not only get a lousy looking product but you also have to be the guinea pig for Tatas until they sort out their design flaws.

You and i can discuss this topic to death but what really matters is what the general population thinks and I think the car buying public has given a resounding thumbs down to Tata Sumo Not-So-Grande. I am not sure if more lipstick will save this pig now.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

OT: Raj bhai, Even I am Amit yaar :P
Old 13th August 2009, 00:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

i think its simple. The USP of a Tata product is its VFM factor. Every vehicle they've sold till date, with the possible exception of the xenon ( not that the xenon sells ) sold because of the sheer VFM of each.

Something that the grande does not have. It does not offer any value to the exisiting sumo buying crowd, nor to the crowd tata wanted to target.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:21   #79
BHPian

It was not a hit purely because most or rather majority of indians are brainy people. The result is evident see the sales figures of maruti.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

The Sumo is ugly even by Indian standards, which is very tolerant and accepting as long as it doesn't hurt the wallet. This car hurts in every aspect and the design team should be quartered for this atrocity. Atleast the Rexton has an old but perfect Mercedes engine in it.The Sumo has no redeeming feature.
Old 13th August 2009, 09:12   #81
BHPian

IMO the looks of sumo is in fact better than most other SUVs. From the experience when I test drove it, these are the reasons why it is not selling well.

1) It feels BIG. Now, in reality it you measure it, it might not be big. But when you stand right next to the hood, it feels big. May be it is a matter of perception

2) When I drove it, it did not feel crisp. I mean, I felt very very less road grip as the driver.

3) So when you combine the above 2 points - BIG and un-controllable, one does not feel comfortable to spend the money on it.

PS: Until the test drive I was very very keen on buying the Sumo Grande. I care next to nothing about the brand name, taxi cab image, plastics, etc. But I need a solid fit and finish and good driving experience.
Old 13th August 2009, 09:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
M&M makes up for the lack of looks by providing dependable vehicles that have a low cost of ownership. This explains the sales of the Scorpio/Bolero/Xylo. With the Grande, you not only get a lousy looking product but you also have to be the guinea pig for Tatas until they sort out their design flaws.

You and i can discuss this topic to death but what really matters is what the general population thinks and I think the car buying public has given a resounding thumbs down to Tata Sumo Not-So-Grande. I am not sure if more lipstick will save this pig now.
That's what I exactly wrote it is not looks but the reason for failure is elsewhere that is bad interiors , downmarket brand not VFM and straight comparison with Safari only one of these is good for failure but we have multiple reasons.

BTW drivabilty and ride was far superior to M&M in back to back test drives I took with not so premium peacock engine but lost out to it's own sibling priced just 70K more. About reliability both are almost equal I know personally people getting rotten apples / lemons from M&M also/
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
it seems amit hates M&M products! Gurkha is one of the best looking off roaders made in india.

ultimately it all comes down to personal preference. i dont like the safari's looks, but i like the grande's looks. beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
It's not hate but we were just discussing looks , I hate grande for reasons other then look as well ( yes bulbous shell is not a good looker) ,
What I mean is that despite bad design people do buy SUV if it offers some value and M&M provides good example.

M&M design may be ok in other aspects but designers need to have some sense of symmetry and proportions in mind like the scorpio's 3ed window stand out like sore thumb and a total antithesis to 1st and second row.

Similarly about Gurkha it is great offroader going by the reviews but simply I can not stand why trax had no willpower to move with times , they can not put a decent single rear windshield then 3 peace arrangement they have and a better tail gate , Mercedes G wagon has moved forward in terms of design multiple times but Gurkha is exactly what G wagon was in 1979.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th August 2009 at 10:44.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

um, guys, lets not start bashing mahindra's products here. This thread is not for that
Old 13th August 2009, 10:51   #84
NIP
Senior - BHPian

is there any point discussing this further !? its a no-brainer to see why the sumo grande failed.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
is there any point discussing this further !? its a no-brainer to see why the sumo grande failed.
We should probably discuss, what can TATA Ddo now?

My suggestions:
  • Give body colored bumpers to even the base model (Turbo?)
  • Change the grill to a mesh type or even safari grill would do.
  • Overhaul the interiors (Already working on it seems)
  • Advertise a lot on TV, Print (Not the dealer ads referring to the "great" discounts)
  • New Alloy design {Instead of wheel caps. You are tata and not Honda to sell wheel caps on a 8 Lakh+ vehicle (runs for cover)}
  • Use good quality badges (and not the El cheapo Dicor stickers)
  • Offer 4X4 (I know, I am asking for too much)
  • ABS + Airbags (In higher models atleast)
Anything else? Can someone confirm what all things are they working on currently? SidIndica, where art thou?
Old 13th August 2009, 11:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Perform some "value engineering" ( cost cutting )
launch it at the bolero price point!
Old 13th August 2009, 11:40   #87
BHPian

I think Grande din't do well due to pricing issues, and din't know which segment of people it was targetting.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perform some "value engineering" ( cost cutting )
Agreed on this.

Quote:
Launch it at the bolero price point!
Bolero Di or Storm One is cheap the other is EXPENSIVE!
Old 13th August 2009, 11:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
We should probably discuss, what can TATA Ddo now?

My suggestions:
  • Offer 4X4 (I know, I am asking for too much)
  • ABS + Airbags (In higher models atleast)
Anything else? Can someone confirm what all things are they working on currently? SidIndica, where art thou?
In short Kill safari sales by offering this at topmost Grande price point , not that I am against it but too good to be true.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In short Kill safari sales by offering this at topmost Grande price point , not that I am against it but too good to be true.
Safari is long past its due date. A new version is currently being tested. Safari lovers will still buy the safari for the love of it or move to the next gen when its launched.

The only thing old, in the Grande are - Interiors and Name.

Most Viewed