Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 22:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

TATA tried to make the grande look like LR3!

is it me or anyone else thinks the same way?
Old 17th June 2009, 22:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanx for starting this thread. I was also wondering why indeed Grande failed. It looks most butch from front and sides---more than even Scorp/Safari. It looks massive and has more road presence than any MUV/SUV. Also it looks like it has been chiselled out of a solid block. The main reason should be name Sumo. Pople associate word Sumo with cab. Why did Tata name it Sumo when every baody panel is different? They should have learnt from Maruti who have so many versions of WagonR/Alto existing side by side with different names. If Tata had given Grande a new name exclusive of Sumo, it would have definitely succeded.
Old 17th June 2009, 23:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Bolero continues to shine and more than ever before. The same people who earlier were smitten by the Sumo (namely the people mover kind) now swear by the Bolero and its countless application specific variants. The reason being reliability and lower maintenance costs.

On a recent trip to a rural place that we frequent, we found all vehicle operators to have switched to Bolero's. Nothing else has the answer.

Now coming to the niche category of buyers who want a 7 seat MUV, Innova takes them. One Toyota sales person just called me today and I just played a prank on her saying, I want to buy the grande, she said, what sir, leaf spring at the back.

Lets compare the sales of Tata MUV's in 2008-2009 as a whole to the Innova and the Bolero's/Scorpio's of this world. Something looks seriously wrong.

As for the Grande, it doesn't look good, it doesn't have the best suspension, it isn't cheap (as the bolero) to own and maintain and it doesn't carry as many people as can the Bolero XL. (I am sorry for bringing in the Bolero here, cos the real competition for the Bolero is the Spacio/Victa, the new ones for which aren't doing too well as well).

I see a few positive sides to the Grande, like the 2.2 VTT engine and the front facing third row and the rear integrated Ac vents. But I saw a recent ad in the newspaper saying Grande now available with side facing rear seats and turbo engine from the victa based on customer feedback!! Who is doing these surveys for Tata is the question and lets hope we see more Grande's on road.
Old 18th June 2009, 01:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well the name might just be the single biggest factor. Reminds me of when the fish face Siena became a Palio with a boot but Fiat didn't change the name. It flopped and then Fiat called it the Petra but it was too little to late by then. The Hyundai Sonata was another really good model that didn't sell as it should have. I blame the name there too

Perhaps its a lesson for manufacturers: If a model fails, abandon the name forever. I suppose the reverse logic also applies: If you have a successful name, use it again and again (Honda City anyone?).

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 18th June 2009 at 01:18.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:14   #35
BHPian

If they had named it just TATA Grande, it would have succeeded. Its too late now.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well, I never liked the looks in the first place, so was never considering the car, then got a chance to take a ride in one. Did'nt like the quality of the interiors. For the price, it was a rip off. Nor did I care for the bumpy ride. Engine and pick up seemed fine, although engine noise was also intruding right into the cabin.

I think the Sumo Grande failed on multiple counts.
It did not know its market segment.
They wanted to target the premium SUV consumer like Scorpio, but failed to deliver on exteriors, interiors, and ride quality.
The cabbie segment would not pay such a high price. Sumo and Tavera were better options for them.

Thats why it flopped.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:53   #37
R_R
BHPian

Unlike most folks here, I actually liked the exterior looks of the Sumo Grande. But the interiors are a complete let down. Tata somehow seems to do a great job with the exterior design, but drops the ball when it comes to their interiors. The Xenon is another example. Oddly, the Indica and its siblings, which cost far less, have much more competent interiors. Maybe they should shift that team to desing the interiors of their utility vehicles. They would have far greater success.
Old 18th June 2009, 14:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Only in India does one see two generations of a car model being sold at the same time. I fail to understand the logic behind such a move.TATA Motors too seem to be under the same disease that has struck HM , Mahindra and other Indian auto companies. If TATA Motors had killed the old Sumo, offered a budget version for fleet operators and a premium version for private buyers with some more options and trim levels, i can assume that the Grande would have fairly succeeded.

I would understand TATA Motors' policy if they had a huge export market. They don't. They're making the same mistake with the Indica range too. All i can say to them is "get real", or go the HM way very soon. I hope Ratan Tata stops listening to the Indian babus that have penetrated his company with their limited vision and absolute lack of aesthetics and bring in management input from FIAT or another auto major. With so much downsizing going on overseas, i'm sure there is a vast pool of idle automotive talent out there that can be used our way.And, ditch IDEA for auto design. That will be a first step.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

The Grande was good looking, atleast to me. I have not seen the interiors nor did I drive it. I cannot understand why it failed.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:50   #40
BHPian

For what it is worth, the Grande really lacked the luxury feel while sitting inside. It definitely was good looking if not a stunner. Whenever I go to Concorde, I feel the sales guys are never to enthusiastic about the vehicle(I wonder why). Personally, it is the sales team not pushing it enough and the very poor quality interiors. And also the fact that Sumo was always a people carrier not your Family car, though Tata wanted to revamp the views with the last ad-campaign for the Victa.
Old 19th June 2009, 14:19   #41
BHPian

Wonder if the same would be the case with Xylo aswell. IMO this car too has an identity crisis like the grande. i couldnt figure out to which segment of the population were these two intended for. What was the target market in their minds?
Old 19th June 2009, 15:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Wonder if the same would be the case with Xylo aswell. IMO this car too has an identity crisis like the grande. i couldnt figure out to which segment of the population were these two intended for. What was the target market in their minds?
Mahindra was clear with its positoning and also knew the segment it was targetting. Infact they probably learnt it from the fact that If scorpio is successful, it doesn't mean Scorpio Getaway would be successfull as well.

In case of TATA's I see only a few Grande's on the road. May be 1-2 a day but atleast20 Xylo's on the road.
Old 19th June 2009, 15:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

I will tell you why Sumo Grande is not a hit in 2 cents:
1. Wrong naming convention : Like Grande Punto...it should have been named Grande Sumo.
2.Sheer Weight:Sumo ads dont show any acrobats or ballets...these days Sumo wrestlers are flying and doing pirouette in ads..(courtesy Parle Sugar free Bon Bons)
Old 19th June 2009, 15:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Lol Hillram. I think its time for an upgrade. I remember KP Bhatt posting about some minor interior tweaks that the Sumo Grande is about to receive. Hopefully that should happen soon.
Old 19th June 2009, 16:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Mahindra was clear with its positoning and also knew the segment it was targetting. Infact they probably learnt it from the fact that If scorpio is successful, it doesn't mean Scorpio Getaway would be successfull as well.

In case of TATA's I see only a few Grande's on the road. May be 1-2 a day but atleast20 Xylo's on the road.
Recently i overheard a new owner of Xylo describing to his friend that his Xylo is actually the next version of Scorpio.
Now thats how smart MM is in marketing the xylo to the right target group of customers. They know what their target customers think like.

Somehow tata was confused about their customers. Grande AD had some guy with kiddo being chased by a stupid girl in a car. what does that convey to customers ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks