Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 11:03   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Aveo prices being revised; Base 1.4 dropped; new 1.4LT ABS variant

Guys,

Checked the Aveo microsite (Aveo Cars India, Chevrolet Aveo Sedan, Sedan Cars India, Chevrolet Aveo Car) and noted the following:

1. Prices are probably being revised;
2. The base 1.4 has been discontinued;
3. 2 new 1.4 variants launched: 1.4 LT & 1.4 LT with ABS, and
4. 1.6 LT spec now comes compulsorily with ABS

Repositioning due to the Jazz and Punto effect?
Old 18th June 2009, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Repositioning due to the Jazz and Punto effect?
Aveo was never doing very good in the market since long. Yes, just after its launch, it was doing reasonably good, but then the excitement was not enough to call this product a successful one.

One of the major reason for that is lack of dealerships and those outside Gujarat are not reputed to be good. Again a diesel option could have saved the car, but by the time things were sorted out, Fiat and GM parted ways.

GM sales are falling very sharply with only saving grace being Spark. That too will now feel the heat from Punto whose pricing is sure to make others uncomfortable.

Aveo was never a tough build car, but was a no nonsense car, with an ability to cruise without drama and was comfortable specially due to its very good ( yes better than even G2HC ) NVH.
Old 18th June 2009, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Dont think the jazz had anything to do with this, but yeah the punto defenitely will start all the manufactures into rethinking their strategies. The initial data on the punto seems very very promising. We are bound to see price cuts from other manufactures as well, if the punto really turns up according to the general expecations surrounding this much awaited car.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its time to bring in the new version of Aveo.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Its time to bring in the new version of Aveo.
Don't think there is a new version of the Aveo sedan. The US 2009 model is nearly the same as the 1.6LT.

Are you referring to the revised nose of the Aveo UV-A / Aveo5 hatchback? IMHO, it looks good but it probably can't save the UV-A in India.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I dont know when GM will realise that by dropping prices of their products or giving huge discounts wont be helping their sales or their brand value, especially in the long term.
Almost all manufacturers resort to this but none as consistently and as regularly as GM.
Old 19th June 2009, 17:47   #7
BHPian

I went to a Chevy dealer other day and the response from sales team was excellent. (May be there is no sales happening, and they have time to attend everyone for hours)

Sales guy mentioned that a refreshed aveo is coming soon and waiting for that to make my decision.

Tired of contacting Concorde and Prerana for a Linea test drive and my purchase is due for some time now. It is between Linea, Fiesta and Aveo.. Your thoughts are higly appreciated..

Thanks
Old 20th June 2009, 08:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Sales guy mentioned that a refreshed aveo is coming soon and waiting for that to make my decision.
Quite keen to see what 'refreshing' happens; they are probably referring to the juggling of variants itself along with some price cutting.

I am an interested party as it directly affects the already measly resale value of my August' 07 1.4 Base model!
Old 20th June 2009, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

guess what. People forget this thanks to Japanese Marketing tactics. How many OHC's do you see on the road? How many lancers do you see on the road?

I know some OHC owners will jump in swearing their cars did lacs and lacs and are still running fine. But the fact is Jap cars are not built to last.

I still see some Opel Corsa guys whose cars feel like new.

Resale is but a minor setback compared to Honda dealers fighting with their customers (I have been witness) and charging arms and legs for spares. And I feel sad to see that people have stuck to bashing Skoda.

forget what others say and enjoy your Aveo and the comfort it provides.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:03   #10
BHPian

I totally agree with aaggoswami ji. I have completed 50000 kms in my Chevy Aveo 1.6 LT, Amber Metallic colour (2006 model) and i have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Infact I'm truly satisfied with the service of GM dealership here in Chennai and i'm thinking of buying the new 1.4 LT with ABS. This new car will be an added jewel in my garage (how beautiful it'll look when there are two Aveos in the garage!). Besides all these, I have cruised at 180 kmph with my car on the Mumbai-Pune Exprassway and it felt utterly safe. It also has fantastic brakes, which haul the speeds down like a pair of Anchors holding a huge Super Tanker ship! I take my car to the college and after the class, we have a small Drag race and guess what? I won 4 out of 5 races, beating sx4, verna 1.6 and even swift! What more can i say? I love my AVEO....
Old 1st July 2009, 18:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
I love my AVEO....
The name says it all .. So how long have you been using the Aveo?
Old 1st July 2009, 18:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is in line with other car manufacturers
the people of india are buying the fully loaded versions only
there was a story last week (i think) in times of India about how people choose high end varient in each model, the story had quoted several companies.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:16   #13

No my dear friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Aveo was never a tough build car, but was a no nonsense car, with an ability to cruise without drama and was comfortable specially due to its very good ( yes better than even G2HC ) NVH.
I would really object to statements made without much backing. Aveo was and is one of the most stable and strongly built cars around. I agree that Linea is stronger but there is no way you can compare a fiesta or an sx4 to an aveo in terms of strength.
My sister owns one and believe me, i have driven honda city, sx4 and fiesta and none of these come even close to the toughness or stability of the Aveo.
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:50   #14
BHPian

Aveo needs (atleast) something that has kept Fiesta alive (a diesel heart). Barring ANHC I dont see any petrol versions of similarly priced sedans doing good. I hear that SX4 sales numbers are dwindling, not to mention about Verna etc.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

you are right, it's either a more powerful engine like the Honda city to compete head on or a diesel heart. And they should price the car on Honda price points.

Taking the competition head on can help one get sales.

Aveo does look good and with a re-design and better engine, it cannnot take on Honda city but it can surely manage to get some sales.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks