Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is the best C+ segment sedan around?
Fiat Linea 1.4 FIRE/ 1.3 Multijet 82 38.14%
Honda City 2009 1.5 S M/T 43 20.00%
Suzuki SX4 ZXi 26 12.09%
Ford Fiesta 1.6 S/ 1.4 TDCi 21 9.77%
Hyundai Verna VTVT SX 1.6/CRDi SX ABS 13 6.05%
Chevrolet Optra Magnum 1.6 LS 10 4.65%
Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 LXi 1 0.47%
Mitsubishi Cedia 19 8.84%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:52   #61
BHPian

The Cedia doesn't belong in this class. Its comfortably priced 2 lakhs more than the nearest competitor and has more space due to its bigger size. The Civic/Corolla/Octavia/Optra 1.8/2.0 segment is where the Cedia slots in.

In the 6-9lk bracket, my vote would go for a Linea or Fiesta. Equally torn between the two.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:03   #62
BHPian

If you go by numbers then it should be City - sells about 3000+
If you go by admiration then it should be Linea
if you go by VFM, maintenance then it should be SX4

But my vote is too close to call :-)
Old 22nd June 2009, 18:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

The Cedia just got better. scaled down price to 9.something and fair amount of goodies. So much for VFM as for the Cedia.
Old 24th June 2009, 17:07   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SUZUKI SX4 that you are going so gaga about is a vehicle that was co-developed by Fiat and Suzuki to be sold in Europe either as Fiat Sedici or Suzuki SX4. As a matter of fact the design was done by Giorgetto Giugiaro's Italdesign. Hence in most respects SX4 is more italian and Fiat-ish than Japanese and by Suzuki.
Is that true. I never knew. Just 2 more days to go for the verdict
Old 24th June 2009, 17:15   #65
Team-BHP Support

Of all the cars in the list, I would buy buy the Verna CRDi as my first choice, followed by ANHC and SX4 respectively.
Old 24th June 2009, 17:22   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Is that true. I never knew. Just 2 more days to go for the verdict
Very much yes. Also the positioning in Europe is as a Mini-SUV
Attached Thumbnails
Which is the best C+ segment sedan around?-fiatsedici.jpg  

Old 24th June 2009, 18:34   #67
Senior - BHPian

Great piece of info MileCruncher, guess the souls who swear by the SX4 have lot to thank Fiat for. So lets give Tony a rest.
Old 24th June 2009, 19:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Great piece of info MileCruncher, guess the souls who swear by the SX4 have lot to thank Fiat for. So lets give Tony a rest.
Aye Aye Boss.

What really pains me is that people start bashing Fiat merely on hearsay, half baked info and prejudice. I'm not saying Fiat is the best Car that is available and absolutely acknowledge that does have many flaws. A discussions based on facts produces much more productive discussion.

Enough of the rant. Anyways lets put Fiat vs The Rest discussion a rest here.

Even though the Linea looks like leading the pack, I feel the vehicle is underpowered and would been miles better with a bigger heart.
Old 24th June 2009, 23:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

@suzuki san: SUZUKI SX4 that you are going so gaga about is a vehicle that was co-developed by Fiat and Suzuki to be sold in Europe either as Fiat Sedici or Suzuki SX4.
As a matter of fact the design was done by Giorgetto Giugiaro's Italdesign. Hence in most respects SX4 is more italian and Fiat-ish than Japanese and by Suzuki.
I think you have some wrong information about SX4. SX4 is based on extended Swift platform and not on any platform developed by Fiat and Suzuki together. So Fiat did not help Suzuki here.

By no means can we call SX3 fiatish. Suzuki was in need of diesel motor and Fiat needed a product. Here Suzuki manufactured SX4 in name of Fiat Sedici under badge engineering and on the other hand Suzuki got diesel motors for its products.

We must appreciate that SX4 is one car that has not hand from fiat as far as chassis or platform goes. Only thing common that SX4 has from Fiat ( atleast in India as of now ) is nothing.
Appreciate the hard work done by Suzuki.
Old 25th June 2009, 00:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think you have some wrong information about SX4. SX4 is based on extended Swift platform and not on any platform developed by Fiat and Suzuki together. So Fiat did not help Suzuki here.

By no means can we call SX3 fiatish. Suzuki was in need of diesel motor and Fiat needed a product. Here Suzuki manufactured SX4 in name of Fiat Sedici under badge engineering and on the other hand Suzuki got diesel motors for its products.

We must appreciate that SX4 is one car that has not hand from fiat as far as chassis or platform goes. Only thing common that SX4 has from Fiat ( atleast in India as of now ) is nothing.
Appreciate the hard work done by Suzuki.
The information that I have is an absolute ratified information. Little googling on the net will also give you the same. If you still don't believe me may be you can get in touch with the Suzuki Japan and India Corporate Communication people and they also will ratify what I have stated above.

Further more to the information stated, let me also tell you that it was done when GM ( I think around 2003) had stake both in FIAT and Suzuki and wanted to build a world car platform that could be modified to have versions upon diferent market requirements.

Strategic alliance between various competitors in the automotive arena is a common thing.

Another example being between Toyota and Peugeot in the form of Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citreon C1.

As already stated before please research before blindly following a brand.

Cheers
Old 25th June 2009, 01:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. It is always Fiat Vs. Rest!

Says something about Fiat does it not? Why is it that Fiat (and its sub-brands like Abarth, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Lancia - Ferrari = excluded as it is autonomous though largely owned by Fiat) evokes such a response? - Admiration? Fear? Envy?

It is amusing to see a 90 BHP car being called underpowered, especially as few cars in that bracket have more. One must understand that Fiat engines are not 'straining' when in the high revs. Unlike a lot of other engines, they do not lose steam at the top end of the rev range but develop maximum power at high revs. Petrol Lineas develop max. power at 6000 rpm and Diesels at 4000 rpm. A Palio develops max. power at 5500 rpm.

It is time drop our Fiat centric approach, Fiat is not the centre of the universe, not even the automotive universe. By pitting Fiat against the rest, we put Fiat on top of the heap. Or, is that spot Fiat's!?

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 25th June 2009 at 01:22.
Old 25th June 2009, 01:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

With the new Cedia Sports out with all the features like Bluetooth, Climate control and branded accessories thrown in, Fiesta 1.6s just lost my favour. :P

too bad they replaced the smokes headlamps on it. It sure is a tough decision though, since Fiesta 1.6 is a lot cheaper.
Old 25th June 2009, 07:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the new Cedia Sports out with all the features like Bluetooth, Climate control
Where did you get that piece of info. the website does not give any of these info.
Old 25th June 2009, 08:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The information that I have is an absolute ratified information. Little googling on the net will also give you the same. If you still don't believe me may be you can get in touch with the Suzuki Japan and India Corporate Communication people and they also will ratify what I have stated above.

Further more to the information stated, let me also tell you that it was done when GM ( I think around 2003) had stake both in FIAT and Suzuki and wanted to build a world car platform that could be modified to have versions upon diferent market requirements.
Suzuki has repeatedly stated that SX4 is based on extended version of Swift chassis. This is what I have read in automotive mags also, including international. Fiat was there to supply diesel motors. Fiat was in need of cash, something Suzuki is never short of, atleast back in the days when Swift came up. Hence this compromise was reached. About Fiat-GM, they have developed a platform on which Opel Corsa and Linea/GP are based. But Fiat was never in platform development with Suzuki.

Anything good need not be related with Fiat. SX4 is sold under Fiat badge under " Badge Engineering ". Suzuki sells many cars under badge engineering, specially its Kei cars in Japan popularly sold under Nissan badge.

About googling, it tells me DG41TY can run Vista, but I am not having success there. Not to say Google is not reliable, but for this SX4 case, Fiat had only one technical association with car internationally and that was getting diesel mills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Interesting. It is always Fiat Vs. Rest!

It is time drop our Fiat centric approach, Fiat is not the centre of the universe, not even the automotive universe. By pitting Fiat against the rest, we put Fiat on top of the heap.
Correct, the Fiat centric approach is getting too much.

EDIT :
Source : Suzuki SX4 (2006-) | Car Features | 4car | channel4.com

Small paragraph from the above link :
Quote:
Fiat will keep quiet about it but it's Suzuki engineering that underpins both the Sedici and SX4. Which should mean good reliability, though Fiat customers are likely to pay more for it on a like-for-like basis - making the choice a no-brainer for informed buyers. That they're both based on a stretched version of Suzuki's Swift platform can only be a good thing, Fiat contributing to the SX4/Sedici by providing its excellent 120bhp 1.9-litre Multijet diesel engine to the range. It'll join the Suzuki-built 1.6-litre petrol, a 1.5-litre petrol also offered in some markets (but not the UK).

EDIT 2 :
Source : Suzuki SX4

Small paragraph from above link :
Quote:
On the cost side, SX4 is a classic example of cost sharing. It is built on a stretched Swift platform, sharing the same powertrain, suspensions, brakes and many other components with Swift. To share more cost, Suzuki offers it for Fiat to sell under the name Fiat Sedici. This benefits both sides, as Suzuki needs the additional sales volume to fill its Hungary plant while Fiat wants a mini-SUV without making heavy investment. As an exchange, Fiat supplies its credible 1.9-liter turbo diesel engine to the Suzuki. This is crucial to its European sales. The petrol engines are Suzuki's own units. They consist of a 107hp 1.6-liter 16V VVT from Swift and a larger 2.0-liter 16V engine offered exclusively for the American market.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th June 2009 at 08:27.
Old 25th June 2009, 10:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Where did you get that piece of info. the website does not give any of these info.

Everything is available on these boards my friend. Just search for it.

Most Viewed