Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2005, 14:21   #1
BHPian

Maruti Gypsy

friends,
I read in the bsmotoring site that Gypsies can even now be ordered from maruti and that it will not have power steering and A/C.
Any info.. about this?
I thought instead of waiting for the Foruner, I may as well think about Gypsy.
It is supposed to be one of the best four wheel drives.
Please advise.
Old 14th June 2005, 14:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
Gypsies can even now be ordered from maruti and that it will not have power steering and A/C.
I didn't know they ever stopped selling it, regarding A/C and PS, they never had it.
Old 14th June 2005, 14:53   #3
BHPian

Yeah, the GYPSY is one of the best off-roader available in India.. And why the hell do you need an A/C in an off-roader and a 4-wheel drive.. Power-steering would have been a good thing for the GYPSY.. But then the power-steering is exposed to more wear and tear on your off-road journeys..

Its got very poor FE of about 6-7 kmpl.. And is not economical at all, unless you plan to put an LPG cylinder in it.. I've mentioned innumerable times on this site.. that the GYPSY with the TUD5 engine would have been a best-seller in the Indian market..

Don't expect a better suspension in the gypsy okay.. You'll feel like you are sitting in a bullock cart.. With a sore back at the end of a long ride.. But when it comes to off-roading capabilities.. There is nothing like a gypsy..

You might want to also consider the Mahindra Bolero Invader.. Which is a diesel and somewhat better than the Gypsy..
Old 14th June 2005, 14:56   #4
BANNED

I had a Gypsy King for 8 years. Was a damn good car and I miss it like hell...but it depends on how you're going to use it.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily city commuting because it has no power steering, it gives a bad average (maximum i got was 8.5 in the city, with the AC running. Sometimes less), and only 2 people can sit comfortably, and people in the back seat hate you. There's really nothing you can do to make the back more comfortable.

Also, gettiing spares are a real pain, even though its a Maruti. It once took Vitesse 4 months just to get carburettor packing for my car. And the mechanics also have no clue about how to fix Gypsies. They caused more problems than they fixed, so you'll have to look for an outside mechanic who knows his Gypsies.

But if you want a real 4x4, then there's no other car made in the country that comes close. I've done some crazy stuff in that car, and it was a real blast to drive. Great engine, great feel, and kickass for going offroad. Be sure to get bigger mirrors, tyres and a soft top though.

It's a car you'll love, even though you'll find it impractical. You get really attached to them emotionally. Great memories in a Gypsy.

Hope this helps!
Old 14th June 2005, 15:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

I used to own a gypsy king about 4 years ago. It gave 10kpl city and around 12 to 14 on highway. It had the carburetted esteem engine. Great offroading, but back breaking. She was fitted with goodyear tubeless tyres. They were extra wide but further screwed up the steering part. Offroading like none other. I drove it on a river bed with 3ft water and stones. Never let up. In another instance it climbed an incline of loose sand. Just after us a tractor got stuck there. The gypsy had to be in Low 4x4 mode. After little slipping and grunting it went up. Must have been a 40 degree incline. Also in deep water it is breeze. During monsoon flooding there most cars feared to tread, the gypsy can go without a hitch.

But it is strictly an offroader. No AC/PS. The suspension is too too hard. If you are a car driver, it will be a torture. Buy it only if you want something for serious offroading and nothing else.And it is a two seater. If you want to inflict torture on your enemies then the back seat is good.

If you do offroading on-off then wait for safari crdi or go for the scorpio, or maybe the bolero as the parest post suggested
Old 14th June 2005, 16:09   #6
BHPian

thanks

Thanks guys for the valuable information.
Old 14th June 2005, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Owned a Gypsy for quite a long time...

It is an amazing off-roader... really has some great capabilities.

if you are looking at Off-roading only, dont think twice .. just go for it.
Old 14th June 2005, 19:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

i still own a gypsy... can't think of any extra pointers that the others haven't already said....

but if you were considering the fortuner-forget the gypsy, go for the safari Crdi, to be launched in 2-3 months... the gypsy can never compare to both of them in terms of comfort, space,convienience, capabilities or fuel efficiency (engaging 4 wheel drive in the gypsy is a pain- you've to slot the 4WD lever, get out, turn the hub-locks, etc; and if you leave the hub-locks unattended for a long time, expect oil-leaks and low F.E... compare this to the automatic shift-on-the-fly electronic 4WD on the modern monsters, and you might actually dislike gypsy..)... but show all three of them a jagged-rock mountain, and the most likely survivor to conquer it will be the gypsy. so, like everybody said, buy gypsy only if you live in neelgiri hills, or intend to go dune bugging once every 3 days- otherwise, it's just a waste of it's good talent....

but the gypsy does come with an a/c; as a dealer-optional fitment, for the hard-top...

p.s- you could also go in for a secondhand pajero 3-door, if you want the gypsy's off-road capabilities and the safari/fortuner's comfort. but spares are slightly expensive, and finding one in good condition is a herculean task....the 3-door pajero should lighten your wallet by upto 9-13 lacs, depending upon model and condition...

Last edited by veyron1 : 14th June 2005 at 19:35.
Old 15th June 2005, 00:21   #9
BHPian

Yo Veyron buddy, welcome back to another fortuner-like thread.. Unfortunately, our fortune is not shining bright, else the fortuner would have got launched this year itself..

Mr Natarajan, you've got to make up your mind as to what you want to buy?? You've actually started one more thread on the Petra/Icon i guess.. If you are looking at comforts with an A/C and P/S, the gypsy, mahindra, etc are not for you.. Go for the sedans..

But, if you aspire to join the wild-rangers club.. Welcome aboard.. As Veyron mentioned Safari CRDI seems like a good option.. And so is a used Pajero.. But if you are looking to mod your vehicle.. I would suggest that you go for the GYPSY and plonk a diesel engine into it.. Modify the suspension a bit and it would do wonders for your Ego and your pocket.. (I wanted to try that myself earlier, but now i want somebody else to try it out before i do it myself.. Searching for a Bakra eh..)..

Now, if you think that modding a vehicle is not your cuppa-tea.. Forget it, just go for a used Tata Sierra, or a Mahindra Bolero Invader (Open Top) or the GYPSY if you have money to spend on Fuel.. Or wait for the Safari CRDI and the Fortuner.. I guess you are already waiting for the last two.. like myself and Veyron1.. Right??
Old 15th June 2005, 01:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
engaging 4 wheel drive in the gypsy is a pain- you've to slot the 4WD lever, get out, turn the hub-locks, etc; and if you leave the hub-locks unattended for a long time, expect oil-leaks and low F.E... compare this to the automatic shift-on-the-fly electronic 4WD on the modern monsters, ...
i am guessing you have an older model as my 94 model had a shift-on-the-fly( am presuming the gear stick kind of thing is called this )for the 4 wheel drive . great car , awesome offroader and extremely special as i learnt how to drive on this baby alongwith a 118 ne about a decade back !

manson .
Old 15th June 2005, 10:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

Not any more. Now no more getting out. Just slot the lever. For 4WH the car need not be stopped. For 4WL you have to bring the car to standstill and then move the lever.
Old 15th June 2005, 11:06   #12
BHPian

thanks

[quote=man23ish]

Mr Natarajan, you've got to make up your mind as to what you want to buy?? You've actually started one more thread on the Petra/Icon i guess.. If you are looking at comforts with an A/C and P/S, the gypsy, mahindra, etc are not for you.. Go for the sedans..

QUOTE]

Hi thanks for the reply.
No, I did not start the thread on Petra/Ikon.

I keep traveling in the interiors of Tamil nadu on side roads to visit various temples and where there are only half roads
I do not want to overload my Fusion too much and I am thinking aloud for buying a rugged vehicle but a comfy one(it is an oxy-moron) This because my kid and wife will always be there.
It looks like fortuner will be delayed and I am worried about the Scorpio because of its roll/maneaurability. I have the money but do not want to spend 15 lakhs for a Tucson. The Gypsy came to my mind and i thought i will ask around.
I am going to wait till sep/oct and make a decision.
thanks for replying
Old 15th June 2005, 11:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

Here are your options with the cost
1. Endeaver(11-12), available now
2. Forester (11-12), available now and highly recommended as per handling
3. Gypsy king(4), Stay away, not for wife and kids only for very very serious offroading
4. Scorpio(7), The new crde with new tyres is better handler now, you could go for a test drive
5. Safari crd(8-9). Dont know when its coming out. Comfortable and has power too.

If you are in a hurry buy the forester. Otherwise wait for fortuner/safari.
Old 15th June 2005, 11:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I didn't know they ever stopped selling it, regarding A/C and PS, they never had it.
Yes there was a time when Gypsy was sold exclusively to Army & during that period it was not available to civilians. Dont exactly remember when was this.
Old 15th June 2005, 12:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
2. Forester (11-12), available now and highly recommended as per handling
I think this is the best option for you, since you can afford it. One of the best cars on Indian roads.

There is a plan on at GM to bring in an upgraded Forester with a 2.5L 170bhp engine, but I think the current one (2.0l 120bhp) is fine too. If the upgraded model is available by Sep when you plan to buy, go for that one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks