Team-BHP - Cheap tricks in advertising Chevrolet UVA
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cheap tricks in advertising Chevrolet UVA (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/60613-cheap-tricks-advertising-chevrolet-uva.html)

Have a look at the picture and decide for yourself. GM India is using some really cheap tricks in advertisements.
Their context sensitive advertisement in GMail comes up every time i open any mail related the grande punto, the link says Punto, if you click on it you will land in chevy UVA site.
Disgusting to say the least :mad:

Yes i noticed it yesterday and took a screen shot.. Damn how i forgot to post it !

here it is

I think it is the prerogative of google and not GM as to how these things are managed.

OT: I liked your desktop!

Topic related - Such things keep happening. Haven't you seen an Indica ad with Alto in it? or a Santor ad with Wagon hidden somewhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasavaTyres (Post 1354961)
I think it is the prerogative of google and not GM as to how these things are managed.

The advertisers give the content of the ad, so the link is given by the advertiser (GM India in this case), Google just manages the ads and decides what to show where based on the context.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1354962)
Topic related - Such things keep happening. Haven't you seen an Indica ad with Alto in it? or a Santor ad with Wagon hidden somewhere?

Thats is fine, thats like comparing the cars, saying like Indica is bigger that alto, without actually naming alto etc.
But here if the link says it is fiat punto, and then it takes you to UVA site, its not right

It is a context sensitive ad. Why is it "cheap"?

In an auto mag (print edition), we do not term an ad placed by a rival in between pages of a new car review cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 1355044)
It is a context sensitive ad. Why is it "cheap"?

In an auto mag (print edition), we do not term an ad placed by a rival in between pages of a new car review cheap.

I guess you didn't get it. If the link said Chevroloet UVA then I don't have any problem with that. But if the link says Punto and then it takes you to UVA site, that is cheap.

[quote=SilentEngine;1354986]The advertisers give the content of the ad, so the link is given by the advertiser (GM India in this case), Google just manages the ads and decides what to show where based on the context.

The advertiser buys keywords on google adwords and the ads appear when the keywords match. For eg in this case GM decided to put their ad for Fiat Punto keyword.

Its misleading ads from a general dude cashing in on the good name of both cars:

Technical Contact

Name: CP Singh
Company: Quasar Media
Address:
136 a, 2nd floor, Vishal house
zamrudpur

City: New Delhi
State: Delhi
Zip: 110048
Tel No: 91 1129230256
Fax No: 91 1129240254
Email:

Nameserver Details

NameServer: ns1.studiosmile.com
NameServer: ns2.studiosmile.com

Record Details

Creation Date: Oct 21 2008
Expiration Date: Oct 21 2009

Public Domain Registry | WHOIS tells it for you

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentEngine (Post 1355048)
I guess you didn't get it. If the link said Chevroloet UVA then I don't have any problem with that. But if the link says Punto and then it takes you to UVA site, that is cheap.

i don't think its cheap, i think its smart advertising by Chevy. Fiat is not sharp enough to notice it i guess.

Un-ethical yes, cheap - no

cheers,
ac

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1355054)
Its misleading ads from a general dude cashing in on the good name of both cars:

Technical Contact

Name: CP Singh
Company: Quasar Media
Address:
136 a, 2nd floor, Vishal house
zamrudpur

City: New Delhi
State: Delhi
Zip: 110048

Quasar is the agency that does web advertising for Skoda too. They do a lot of web advertising / web hosting / for auto companies .

cheers,
ac

There is nothing smart about this. Context specific advertising is very relevant and accepted, but this is deceptive and unhealthy and does not suit any mainstream business.

For context specific advertising any mention of Punto should turn up an ad of Chevloret UVA with the relevant messaging and links, not an ad or link for Punto misdirectiing to the UVA site with the clicker presuming he is going to the Punto site but landing up at the UVA site. GM don't need to do this and the internet marketer needs to be talked to.

Why dont you all just click the hell out of that link? Use firefox to reload the link every 10 secs? :p

Desperate times call for Desperate measures.
I think even GM would struggle to find a reason as to buy a UVA over a Punto (Other than the discounts of course). The irony is just a few years ago Fiat was almost a part of GMs family.

Well a car with cheap lineage - even though it is now wearing the "bow tie" - should be sold via cheap ways.

I cant believe that some people in the forum are actually supporting this CHEAP move by General Motors- they are really really CHEAP. I too noticed this but thought it was a mistake at first but now seeing a post in its reference I am disgusted- I am not going to by a Chevy UVA at all! Somebody should complain to FIAT on their hotline- FIAT might lose people ignorant about the GP and who are looking for a compact- its illegal to trick customres like this... are there any FIAT reps from this forum?