Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 23:51   #121
BHPian

The Service personnel has indeed goofed up! Just look closely & you will see that the air intake has been mounted upside down.
Just take the car back to the service centre & get it properly fitted.
BTW, nice choice of color!
Old 5th October 2009, 14:30   #122

@car_crazy1400 - Thanks, it's a beauty in red and I’ll post some pictures soon.
Actually, the swapping of the air-intake was not a goof-up. After the servicing was complete, the service manager politely explained all the activities that they had done - one of which was swapping the air-intake with the closed mouth one. He said it was standard procedure in the 1000 km service. In fact, I checked out a couple of other Cedias in the workshop and found they had the closed mouth intake as well!
But then when I drove out I found the performance lacking. So the next day, I got it switched back to the factory fitted open mouthed one.
My two cents for this thread: New Cedia owners may want to check if their air-intakes have been swapped (might be applicable to all Cedia owners)
My question to Mistubishi: Why change the air-intake at the first service when it actually degrades the performance?
Old 5th October 2009, 15:01   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilan View Post
@car_crazy1400 - Thanks, it's a beauty in red and I’ll post some pictures soon.
Actually, the swapping of the air-intake was not a goof-up. After the servicing was complete, the service manager politely explained all the activities that they had done - one of which was swapping the air-intake with the closed mouth one. He said it was standard procedure in the 1000 km service. In fact, I checked out a couple of other Cedias in the workshop and found they had the closed mouth intake as well!
But then when I drove out I found the performance lacking. So the next day, I got it switched back to the factory fitted open mouthed one.
My two cents for this thread: New Cedia owners may want to check if their air-intakes have been swapped (might be applicable to all Cedia owners)
My question to Mistubishi: Why change the air-intake at the first service when it actually degrades the performance?
if its not a goof up, then its really surprising. Neither me, nor any other cedia owner on this foum I guess has witnessed anything like this. Its always open, cant say whats this is all about. theres nothing new in the "new cedia" apart from some additional features to the interior side, front bumper tweeks and ozs. thats it.. engine and performance remains the same. Some thing new has come up I guess, but it certainly doesnt work.

"My question to Mistubishi: Why change the air-intake at the first service when it actually degrades the performance?"

may be they are trying to limit the RPMs to 3k to improve FE to 15-16 may be. Just that they forgot it will strain the engine, rip it rather and bring the FE down to 5-6. I dont think Mitsubishi has any such guidelines to change the intake tube.. i mean why this closed tube, i believe its from the service station end!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 5th October 2009 at 15:07.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:05   #124
BANNED

i dont knw why did they closed the intake pipe.
but its not even done with my dad's cedia. its open like it was 1st day and he's already done 55,000 kms on it and still runs like new
Old 5th October 2009, 22:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

The air intake in the first picture is the right one and is what I have in my car. Not sure why it was swapped with the latter in the second pic.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:27   #126
VMG
BHPian

I verified with Mr. Karunakaran ( Service in-charge of Maya Motors chennai), this unit (air intake) has been replaced due to the safty point of view( water may go thru air intake in rainy or flood times); new one will have the open end at the bottom; performance will not be an issue.
Old 7th October 2009, 01:18   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I verified with Mr. Karunakaran ( Service in-charge of Maya Motors chennai), this unit (air intake) has been replaced due to the safty point of view( water may go thru air intake in rainy or flood times); new one will have the open end at the bottom; performance will not be an issue.
Not quite sure how the air intake with a lower intake point (facing the bottom) will provide higher protection from water than one originally with intake on the top ?
Old 8th October 2009, 19:03   #128

Hey VMG, thanks for verifying this but believe me there was a noticeable loss of power which is why I got the service manager of (Metro Motors, Mumbai) to put the original factory-fitted one back on the car.

Also, if Mitsubishi had indeed changed the intake design for safety (or any other reason), then why not factory fit it? Why change it at the first service?
Old 16th October 2009, 23:23   #129

Regarding the air intake even mine was replaced during the second service. First look at it and any average brained guy like me will say that it’s gonna suck in hot air from the engine bay and hence effect the cars performance. But service guys said that the design was changed to prevent dirt and water from being sucked in. I just hope that this redesigned intake is from Mitsubishi’s side and not from HM. Or even if it is from HM’s R&D, I hope somebody must have scratched their brain before coming up with this design. The plastic quality also seems to be inferior to the old one. They don’t even let u keep the old one. Only saving grace after close observation I found was that the opening is in front of the radiator which might supply it with cold air. Not sure. I am surprised that a few of u guys still have the old intake cause they started doing this swap for every cedia which came for service quite a long time back now. At least this is what was told to me. Now after Patilan has mentioned about the power drop even I am feeling it. Will try and get the old one refitted if they have it.
Old 11th February 2010, 08:38   #130
Senior - BHPian

Heard that the Select (or was it Spirit) has been discontinued. They apparently have 2 models now.

From the description I heard (haven't seen yet), the Cedia Sports Advanced is the normal sports version and the Cedia Sports Basic is a new variant which sounded exactly like the Select but with the skirts.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

both lancers seen together here!
Attached Thumbnails
New Mitsubishi Cedia Sports Launched at 9.9L-02022010174.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 10:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
both lancers seen together here!
This does not look like in India, does it? I really hope it is.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:10   #133
BHPian

The long existed www.mitsubishi-motors.co.in/ site is now under-construction, so there is something really brewing! Any scoopers around???

Looks like the below fotos are of LHD, watch the wipers directions on the other side. But I also doubt if the India model is in production anywhere else world wide.

Last edited by AirWind : 11th February 2010 at 11:13.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:02   #134
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Looks like LHD.

The 'old' Lancer (Cedia) is still sold alongside the 'new' Lancer. Japan, Philippines, Singapore come to mind. There are surely more countries.

edit:
www.cediasports.in
www.outlander.in
These 2 are still running.

Last edited by shuvc : 11th February 2010 at 12:11.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:09   #135
BHPian

Well thats the car to buy now......I just wish the service guys would do something about their service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks