Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 20:30   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Perfect Hatch? What, with those super spacious rear seats and numerous rattling issues?
What he told is: "The only car that comes close to " perfect hatch " definition ( IMHO )". It is his opinion, and is related to his idea of a 'perfect hatch'. For you, a perfect hatch may be different.

Ok, other than these two issues, can you point out too many errors with a Swift? On the other hand, consider these advantages:

A rev-happy petrol engine.
A well-tuned diesel engine, though made by Fiat.
A max speed of 160-170 KMPH easily achievable without much effort and vibrations, that many sedans cannot achieve.
Planted ride in such highway speeds.
Superior road grip on curves.
Above average mileage for petrol model.
Superior mileage for diesel model.
Very comfortable front seats.
Good safety features on high-end models.
Sporty stance and eye-catching looks.
A paradise for modifications.
Low initial ownership cost.
Low cost maintenance.
Country-wide Maruti service.

Even after 5 years of its introduction, its still looks new to me. Swift has special kind of 'love me or hate me' look and performance. The character associated with a Swift is impossible to resist.

My opinion.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th June 2009 at 20:39.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Im not at all impressed by the Glam edition.Ut just adds to Marti Suzukis mistakes in India...A-Star,Ritz,Glam....the list can go on.
Zen was the best avatar of Maruti Suzuki followed by Alto and 800...rest all were failures.
Old 24th June 2009, 21:59   #63
BHPian

Is this enough ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
The Maruti 800, the esteem, the baleno, the swift, the sx4, the gypsy, the grand vitara, the zen (new one agreed is not that great) have all be legendary, what are you talking about here ? IMHO maruti makes the best VFM cars. Their after sales is legendary, their customer management is good. When have they taken us for granted ?
R u enough satisfied with this few model ? 25 yrs in market, almost 50% of market share.
Old 24th June 2009, 22:13   #64
BHPian

I completely agree with @romeomidhun .Apart from the cramped rear seats and rattling problem, there are no serious issues with the swift. I agree that GP and I20 are awesome cars.Swift has a better petrol engine than its counterparts(maybe except jazz) and a very capable diesel engine.For this price and feature list it is nothing short of a good car and a near perfect hatch IMHO
Old 24th June 2009, 22:29   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
What he told is: "The only car that comes close to " perfect hatch " definition ( IMHO )". It is his opinion, and is related to his idea of a 'perfect hatch'. For you, a perfect hatch may be different.

Ok, other than these two issues, can you point out too many errors with a Swift? On the other hand, consider these advantages:

A rev-happy petrol engine.
A well-tuned diesel engine, though made by Fiat.
A max speed of 160-170 KMPH easily achievable without much effort and vibrations, that many sedans cannot achieve.
Above average mileage for petrol model.
Superior mileage for diesel model.
Very comfortable front seats.
Good safety features on high-end models.
Sporty stance and eye-catching looks.
A paradise for modifications.
Low initial ownership cost.
Low cost maintenance.
Country-wide Maruti service.

Even after 5 years of its introduction, its still looks new to me. Swift has special kind of 'love me or hate me' look and performance. The character associated with a Swift is impossible to resist.

My opinion.
Acheiving 160-170 is not as easy as you mentioned,high speed ride is not as composed,i own one so i am sure of this.
Old 24th June 2009, 22:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Acheiving 160-170 is not as easy as you mentioned,high speed ride is not as composed,i own one so i am sure of this.
Totally depends on tyres... stock rubber is pathetic. But with my potenza GIIIs, the Swift is rock solid at high speeds. And I mean not even a civic with stock tyres gives the same planted feeling (though is miles ahead in acceleration, comfort, etc).
140 is easy with the car...
Old 24th June 2009, 23:24   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Totally depends on tyres... stock rubber is pathetic. But with my potenza GIIIs, the Swift is rock solid at high speeds. And I mean not even a civic with stock tyres gives the same planted feeling (though is miles ahead in acceleration, comfort, etc).
140 is easy with the car...
I have 205/55R16 Goodyear NCT5 on my car,you say your car feeling more planted than a civic on speed i dont agree to it,even a fiesta is lot better dont even think about the civic.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th June 2009 at 23:26.
Old 24th June 2009, 23:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have 205/55R16 Goodyear NCT5 on my car,you say your car feeling more planted than a civic on speed i dont agree to it,even a fiesta is lot better dont even think about the civic.
Ok, next time I tink of something, i will ask you!
Old 28th June 2009, 02:14   #69
BHPian

No. Just No.

I'm the happy owner of a Swift for the last 7 months, and I LOVE my car. But a lot of what you've claimed here just doesn't hold water.

Quote:
Sorry... absolutely not. I've driven both the petrol and the diesel Swifts on the Bombay-Pune expressway, and you have to FLOG the engines to get up to those speeds. And please forget about any claims of stability at those speeds - the car is all over the place. Even at 140 in my DDiS the grip level was wayyy less than optimal. I'm running 195/60 R15 Yoko A-drives but the Swift suffers from (a) light weight, (b) stiff suspension (c) an average drag coefficient.

Quote:
Again... No. I'm not sure what you were driving before your Swift, but even the Getz is more planted on fast sweeping highway curves than the swift is. So was the Palio. So are the GP, the i20, and the Jazz. (Cars like the WagonR, the Santro and the i10 don't compare because they are classified as 'Minis' whereas the Swift is a proper hatch). Almost every other hatch in the segment has better curve handling than the Swift under stock conditions. So when you say "Superior"... superior to what?

Some of the other stuff you've mentioned (the looks, the mileage, the service network)... they're all true. But then again the Swift has a lot of faults as well... tacky plastics, poor noise insulation, squeaks and rattles, and less than ideal build quality.

It's one thing to love you car... you clearly do... but please dont make it out to be much more than it is. You lose credibility on these boards when you do.

Take care, and happy motoring.
Old 28th June 2009, 03:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
No. Just No.

I'm the happy owner of a Swift for the last 7 months, and I LOVE my car. But a lot of what you've claimed here just doesn't hold water.

Sorry... absolutely not. I've driven both the petrol and the diesel Swifts on the Bombay-Pune expressway, and you have to FLOG the engines to get up to those speeds. And please forget about any claims of stability at those speeds - the car is all over the place. Even at 140 in my DDiS the grip level was wayyy less than optimal. I'm running 195/60 R15 Yoko A-drives but the Swift suffers from (a) light weight, (b) stiff suspension (c) an average drag coefficient.

Again... No. I'm not sure what you were driving before your Swift, but even the Getz is more planted on fast sweeping highway curves than the swift is. So was the Palio. So are the GP, the i20, and the Jazz.
It's one thing to love you car... you clearly do... but please dont make it out to be much more than it is. You lose credibility on these boards when you do.

Take care, and happy motoring.
I am a little suprised that either the Yokos are not as good as 185/14 Potenza GIII or there is something quite different in our observations.

a) Light weight: Swift has same weight as Getz (Kerb Weight) and weighs over 200 kg more than an Esteem. For a hatch its size, I think it has the max weight. The puntos of the day have more weight but they are bigger and longer and under powered when it comes to the power to weight ratio.

b) Stiff Suspension: Only aids to driving and road grip in high speed conditions. So I dont know what you are getting at. The low speed driving is poor. The upsize of your tyres would have made the low speed ride even more jarring as can be expected.

c) Avg drag coefficient: Would you mind sharing the drag coefficient of Swift and the other cars you have mentioned. Is it higher or lower, a higher drag would actually null your 2nd point as the car would have less lift. Of course there would be impact on FE.

I am yet to drive Jazz and the i20. However the statement that Swift is not as planted as Getz on sweeping corners is a little overboard.

Swift is by far the most perfect product for its price that MUL has launched and the numbers speak for it. There are niggles like rattling etc. which have been discussed in this forum, but for a car of its price, nothing comes close in delivering F.E., power to weight, features, looks (subjective) etc. Its 4 years old now, and still you have a waiting period, goes a lot to show why you'd find a little subjectivity/objectivity/car lovers when you discuss this car

EDIT:

Drag Coefficient Swift: 0.32
Hyundai Getz: 0.5 (as per google)
Fiat Punto: 0.31
Honda Jazz: Not Published (wonder why?)
Hyundai i20:0.33
Fabia: 0.32

Swift is right up there with the rest. So I am not sure what conclusion you are trying to get at with point B.

Last edited by aseem : 28th June 2009 at 03:51.
Old 28th June 2009, 09:48   #71
BANNED

Pics of "Glamourous" Swift!

Here are some pics of Swift Glam -

Now a "glam"oured swift limited edition-111.jpg
Now a "glam"oured swift limited edition-213.jpg
Now a "glam"oured swift limited edition-312.jpg

Click Here for Source.
Old 28th June 2009, 12:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I feel Indian car manfacturers think that Indian public is plain dumb. The obsession with biege is one example of this. Just caz high end luxury cars had beige and it was appreciated in few models, now all car manfacturers, from Indica to Honda want to give beige.... I am getting sick of it!!!

Come on Skoda show them how quality of interiors matter not the damn color.
Old 28th June 2009, 12:49   #73
BHPian

Hi,

I have been driving a Swift Zxi for the last 3 years now.
The car is fitted with Michelin Energy XM 1+ tyres. K&N filter. Iridium plugs. Mobil 1 super synth oil.
I have touched speeds of 175 Kmph on the Expressway (once) but regularly touch 160. Yes! One does have to "flog" the engine a little bit but not much. The car at 150/160 is totally planted and sticks to the road like s*** to a blanket!!!!! I tend to agree with Anshuman here. I feel absolutely secure in the car.
I don't know about the Civic, but it sure feels better than the last NHC at speed. I have taken on City's on the expressway and got the better of them simply because of the grip - or so I think.
I have not yet driven the Jazz (no intention to either) or the i20 so can't say anything about them.
I will say though that the low speed ride is not great.
However, all in all, a VFM product.

Regards,

SS
Old 28th June 2009, 23:28   #74
BHPian

My post was simply to contradict your opinion that the Swift was close to being a 'perfect' hatch. However, at the end of the day, I guess it's subjective.

If you're happy with your Swift, then that's all that matters.

Sidenote: Speaking as someone who was in a very, very serious accident a short while back and miraculously survived, I'd urge you not to try speeds like 160/170... the risks are far too great.

Happy motoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am a little suprised that either the Yokos are not as good as 185/14 Potenza GIII or there is something quite different in our observations.

a) Light weight: Swift has same weight as Getz (Kerb Weight) and weighs over 200 kg more than an Esteem. For a hatch its size, I think it has the max weight. The puntos of the day have more weight but they are bigger and longer and under powered when it comes to the power to weight ratio.

b) Stiff Suspension: Only aids to driving and road grip in high speed conditions. So I dont know what you are getting at. The low speed driving is poor. The upsize of your tyres would have made the low speed ride even more jarring as can be expected.

c) Avg drag coefficient: Would you mind sharing the drag coefficient of Swift and the other cars you have mentioned. Is it higher or lower, a higher drag would actually null your 2nd point as the car would have less lift. Of course there would be impact on FE.

I am yet to drive Jazz and the i20. However the statement that Swift is not as planted as Getz on sweeping corners is a little overboard.

Swift is by far the most perfect product for its price that MUL has launched and the numbers speak for it. There are niggles like rattling etc. which have been discussed in this forum, but for a car of its price, nothing comes close in delivering F.E., power to weight, features, looks (subjective) etc. Its 4 years old now, and still you have a waiting period, goes a lot to show why you'd find a little subjectivity/objectivity/car lovers when you discuss this car

EDIT:

Drag Coefficient Swift: 0.32
Hyundai Getz: 0.5 (as per google)
Fiat Punto: 0.31
Honda Jazz: Not Published (wonder why?)
Hyundai i20:0.33
Fabia: 0.32

Swift is right up there with the rest. So I am not sure what conclusion you are trying to get at with point B.
Old 29th June 2009, 00:45   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Thats a useless comparison.

I could also soup-up an autorickshaw with all that stuff, but that still wont make it a good car!

There's a reason why Indicas are cheaper than Swifts. Same reason why a Logan is cheaper than a Honda City, and a Lexus is cheaper than a BMW.
Aaha! What an analogy sir! It takes an extremely bold or a complete ignoramous to make such a statement.

So what are you exactly suggesting here? The Vista is an autorickshaw? Or that the Swift is a BMW equivalent? You really cracked me up on that one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks