Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 21:17   #46
BHPian

Werent the Tata Nano deliveries supposed to begin in July? Anyone got delivery yet? Anyone seen any nanos on the roads yet?

Thanx
/Venkat
Old 10th July 2009, 23:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, the deliveries are supposed to begin this month. I don't think they have delivered the first one though. I am sure it'll be all over the papers / net when that happens.
Old 11th July 2009, 16:04   #48
BHPian

Well we have been allotted Sunshine Yellow delivery OCT - DEC 2010

It seems that if the TATA's are making a people's car the people have to stand in line like using your ration card that too by paying in advance

I understand that this is a volume product and they had recieved approx 2 Lac Bookings and now presume that my allotment is from the last of the 2 lacs which i shall recieve approx in 18 months from booking, so how many cars are they making a month? 10000 or what?

I predict that there shall be a lot of cancellations and allotments shall be revised or they cancelled allotments shall be sold in premium

Any views on this

Nandan
Old 11th July 2009, 22:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

According to reports the present capacity at the Pantnagar plant is 50000 PA. This would come to less than 5K per month. But they should be able to scale up once the Guj plant comes on steam. Expected 2009 end (?).
Old 13th July 2009, 21:46   #50
BHPian

Tata Nano set to storm Hyderabad and Thiruvananthapuram

Tata Nano set to storm city roads: The Hindu

Thiruvananthapuram: The most affordable car in India is set to make its debut in the city this month. Out of the 92 applicants from the city shortlisted in the first batch, 21 are scheduled to receive the Tata Nano in July, according to the local dealer.

They are among the one lakh applicants all over the country to receive allotment letters for the Rs.1 lakh car developed by Tata Motors.......

-------------------------------------

Tata Motors' first consignment of Nano sent to Hyderabad: The Business Standard

A total of 50 Nano cars were sent to Sanatnagar railway station of Hyderabad from Haldi Road station near Pantnagar through high-capacity BPU coaches yesterday, railway sources said.

Along with 50 Nano cars, 34 Tata magic vans were also sent.

Railway sources said Izatnagar division of railways has earned a revenue of Rs 8,71,145 from the loading of first consignment of Nano.

Tata Motors had demanded specially designed coaches, known as NMG coaches in railway parlance, from the railway board for smooth transport of Nano but instead they provided them high-capacity BPU coaches in which the small cars were loaded.

Although the mother plant of Nano has been set up in Sanand of Gujarat, Nano is currently being manufactured in Pantnagar facility, where it is also producing Ace trucks.....
Old 13th July 2009, 23:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
According to reports the present capacity at the Pantnagar plant is 50000 PA. This would come to less than 5K per month. But they should be able to scale up once the Guj plant comes on steam. Expected 2009 end (?).
My information is that they are making currently only 2000/month. They may have a few thousand ready or almost ready to roll. But till the Guj plant is fully up and running , there is no way they are going to deliver the 1 lac cars by 2009 end itself.
I was hoping that they had about 50 k already ready or almost ready , but looks like it aint so.
Anyway with due allowance for all the unexpected problems that the company has undergone in this credible venture, is it not unfair to park good money on a vehicle for a yr. and half or more , to wait the delivery?
I mean i haven't even taken a test drive of the thing. It looks promising and all , but the engine is loud they say? How refined it is? The engine access is a problem? In case of lot of problems after delivery is the co. infrastructure , stock of spares is in place to deal with the niggles of a large number of vehicles ?
The current warranty is 24 months on engine and drivetrain. Aint that low ?
I love the tatas, I have great faith in them. but this stunt they have pulled of taking so many alottments with deliveries spread over 2 years is making me feel as if we are being taken for a ride .
I booked one thinking that they 'll deliver withing 3 months or so. I feel its been a gamble and i feel i cant go through it now......
If they were not ready , why not wait a year more for the launch after the unveiling.. Why , why why ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 13th July 2009 at 23:31.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
I mean i haven't even taken a test drive of the thing. It looks promising and all , but the engine is loud they say? How refined it is? The engine access is a problem? In case of lot of problems after delivery is the co. infrastructure , stock of spares is in place to deal with the niggles of a large number of vehicles ?
The current warranty is 24 months on engine and drivetrain. Aint that low ?
I love the tatas, I have great faith in them. but this stunt they have pulled of taking so many alottments with deliveries spread over 2 years is making me feel as if we are being taken for a ride .
I booked one thinking that they 'll deliver withing 3 months or so. I feel its been a gamble and i feel i cant go through it now......
If they were not ready , why not wait a year more for the launch after the unveiling.. Why , why why ?
I have read somewhere that their Pantnagar plants capacity is ~50,000 per
annum, but that isn't the only plant manufacturing Nano. Pune plant is also manufacturing Nano according to some reports and Sanand(350,000 capacity) plant will be ready around December. Therefore i am sure you will get you nano in not more than 6 months.

As far as the engine is concerned, some of the best companies in the world like FEV and Bosch have worked on it therefore you shouldn't worry about it too much.

To be honest, i am regretting that i didn't book any nano. Now i am waiting for Nano Diesel or maybe Europa.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:09   #53
BHPian

Hi anmol !
Thought all the plants which are manufacturing nano as of now is only as a stop gap arrangment and are also manufacturing other vehicles while the one coming up in gujarat is a dedicated one. So thought they are making at various places the volumes would be very low, i suspect.
As far the car is concerned , it'll be nice. Looks good the space inside is great, finish looks better than the competetors, design respectable. Few fortunate ones who have taken the ride speak well for the motor and driveability. And some of these are as hard nosed cynical folks as they get.
So i am convinced its a reasoanbly good car and probly greatest VFM car as there ever was.
But still my point is is so much probable delay is justified ?
I mean i just dont have the heart to wait for dec 2010 hoping that i might get it within 6 months itself.
And this time my heart and mind both say the same thing which is rare...
Old 14th July 2009, 12:06   #54
BHPian

Hi HIGHNOON

Well my feelings exactly!!! Well actually my wife's. She had set her heart out for the Nano and when she saw the car at the dealership (Wasan Marine Lines) right in our Building she was mooning for it and not that we dont have a car actually a Tata Indigo CS TDI, she wanted one which she would be able to handle.

Well dont loose heart,my reading is that if you have a Booking which is over JUN 2010 cancel it and wait till DEC 2009, you should have the Cars off the shelf albit at the new price so i am cancelling my Sunshine Yellow slated for delivery OCT DEC 2010

Bye

Nandan
Old 14th July 2009, 14:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandanRM View Post
Hi HIGHNOON

Well my feelings exactly!!! Well actually my wife's. She had set her heart
Bye

Nandan
Hi, I am going to cancel the booking tomorrow. But dont think they would be in a position to sell the car offshelf by this year end. Unless if they get massive cancellations for the same reasons as mine.
The exercise is sad really.
The point is that they would most certainly uprate the specs / engine or some other thing by oct -dec 2010 which is my delivery date even if they have them in enough numbers to sell 'em off the shelf.
Why cant they simply be transparent about the production status. I mean real numbers ? Once the euphoria dies it'll be difficult to push the car in case of serious problems with it.
And it'll really hurt someone who has blocked in the high amount 1.40 lacs
waiting endlessly..... after knowing the first lots reports / problmes.
If its good as some experts say , then you can get some nice on amount with the price protection.....
Old 15th July 2009, 15:16   #56
v10
BHPian

EDIT: 2 White basic variant nanos coming now.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:22   #57
BHPian

Congrats !
anyway , cancelled mine today .
Shall probly try to buy a good used car for the same budget ( Rs.208000/- )within next month. And then wait for the europa model / diesel variant to hit market.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:32   #58
BHPian

Nano Euphoria Over : Banks reluctant to offer loans : CNBC TV 18

Just came across this piece of new on CNBC TV 18's website. I am surprised the banks had not done this calculation at the time of bookings !!

Nano euphoria over, banks reluctant to offer loans

Pasting full text below :

The Nano is set to hit the road in a matter of days. But for the close to 70,000 consumers who booked it through loans, there could be some bad news. Banks have turned cautious. Reason: the low ticket size of the loan that means higher cost of execution. Banks CNBC-TV18 spoke to said the cost of servicing a two-wheeler loan is as high as 25% and which is one reason many banks have been switching off from that segment. The ticket size for the Nano is between a two-wheeler and any other car, and the cost is working out to between 18–20%. And with the rate of interest around 10%, it is making little sense for banks to push these loans.
The bigger issue for banks is the tightening of internal norms they have been carrying out over the past few months. Several banks have been more keen to give loans only to customers of the bank. A leading PSU bank told CNBC-TV18 they are waiting for the car to be delivered before they extend the loan. Moreover, while few details were asked from consumers at the time of booking like a photo ID and residential proof, income and guarantor details are only now being sought prior to sanctioning the loan.
Bankers say many who have booked the Nano have a profile that matches that of a two-wheeler loan taker. And this is a segment from which several banks have turned away owing to higher defaults.
It is learnt that banks are in active dialogue with Tata Motors to avert a potential dispute considering the MoU signed between Tata Motors and banks stating that all loans need to be processed by July 23 else a penalty of Rs 3,000 on banks will be charged.
Moreover, banks are hoping for some financial support from Tata Motors. When contacted, Tata Motors said, "Banks will apply the same norms, including interest rates, for providing loans to Nano customers as that for their customers for any other car."

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 15th July 2009 at 16:50.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:47   #59
BHPian

Hi Amogh,
I cancelled my booking today. My bank manager was echoing the same sentiment. How can they hypothecate a car which is not even delivered ? I feel sad that i couldnt get the car when i needed it, which is now in amonths time.
My bank had not even received the allottment letter as yet. I had to hand over my copy to her to do the needfull.
So much confusion prevailing about the whole thing.
Ms. Bannerji probly has no clue to the extent of the damage done.
Hope the Tatas come out of this one in one piece.
now that i have finally cancelled the Nano , and in case we are looking at a new car now , we shall surely buy a Tata vehicle only. Most probly the Vista.
Its time we as a nation start supporting the great business group of nation builders in the best manner we can.
Shop at Croma , West side , buy Tata vehicles and if nothing else eat their salt and drink their tea atleast .
Old 15th July 2009, 17:06   #60
BHPian

The timing could not have been worse for the Tata's.

Ratan Tata has already said that the JLR and Corrus deals were done at a wrong time considering the credit crunch. Then Mamta Banerjee messed up the Nano project.

Banks are reluctant to lend and are being very cautious about their operating ratios and Bassel II capital requirements.

All in all, one more issue for Tata's to handle. They are already raising a lot of debt for funding Corrus and JLR.

And yeah : I do shop at Croma and Westside

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks