Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 11:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I believe the whole idea of making the Astar engine in Estilo is to mass produce the astar engine & making the Estilo cheaper to buy to counter the Spark & Xeta.
That could a possibility. However, I would prefer that they launch an lpg version of the same as well.
Old 24th June 2009, 11:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Zen Estlio is one of the cute cars around in my opinion. The current engine was just fine. I am not sure why they need to go for the 3 cylinder engine of A Star which feels coarse. One improvemnt that is required was to have a short throw gear lever like in other Maruti cars.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand the logic of changing Estilo Engine to KB10.
Infact more than the engine change, it needed a major exterior revamp. I drive the F10D quite regularly and have found the A-Star engine to lacking low end response in comparison and its not much refined either. Infact, the gear lever vibrates in the A-Star at idle - something totally unacceptable from a 4 lac car!

The only reason i can think of is to gradually replace the F-series with the K series engines for emission norms, but in that case i expected Maruti to plonk a 1.1L 4 cylinder K series engine (if any). That would be the real "upgrade".

Last edited by DCEite : 24th June 2009 at 12:06.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I believe the whole idea of making the Astar engine in Estilo is to mass produce the astar engine & making the Estilo cheaper to buy to counter the Spark & Xeta.
The Spark LS and Zen LXi are within Rs. 10,000 of each other currently!

What they might have to do is come out with a model between the LX and LXi without body coloured bumpers, front power windows, central door locking, etc. Basically it will be a LX with power steering. This will help them to compete head on against the Spark PS which is approximately Rs. 20,000 than the Spark LS.
Old 24th June 2009, 14:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The only reason i can think of is to gradually replace the F-series with the K series engines for emission norms, but in that case i expected Maruti to plonk a 1.1L 4 cylinder K series engine (if any). That would be the real "upgrade".
Exactly, the main reason behind this move might be emission norms. And lets say the A-star engine puts out around 65 bhp/ltr. So with 1.1 ltr., they will have around 70+ bhp giving Zen Estilo very good performance, may be good enough to give Ritz some tough time. This performance overlap might be something Maruti is trying to avoid.

What needs to be done is this, detune the K12M and put it in Wagon R and Estilo along with gearbox.

As far as A-star's motor goes, I think Estilo is quite a light car and A-star's motor weighs in at 47kg dry. So overall Estilo will be lighter than A-star, but I am favour of giving Estilo a detuned K12M.
F10D being basically Alto motor with one more cylinder is a nice motor that even after so many years feels good, specially in bottom end torque. Top end is not as good as K-series or G-series, but bottom end and mid range is good. Quite good power and torque curve for a very old motor that has its roots in Maruti 800.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This performance overlap might be something Maruti is trying to avoid.
But in the process they are replacing a vibration free 4 cylinder motor with a 3 cylinder vibrating unit (a.la Alto).

Quote:
What needs to be done is this, detune the K12M and put it in Wagon R and Estilo along with gearbox.
Exactly.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel maruti will reduce the prices after launch of facelifted estilo, new engine is being plonked to meet newer emission norms coming in 2010.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on this front?
Old 30th June 2009, 16:28   #24
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
But in the process they are replacing a vibration free 4 cylinder motor with a 3 cylinder vibrating unit
Not a good idea for MUL to do this

Most Viewed