Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Any links to a Gov website that we can take a printout and keep??!
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Did you check out the thread I had posted two posts back?
Old 24th June 2009, 01:50   #18
BHPian

the other day, my activa that was parket on the sadashivnagar footpath was towed for parking inspite of no parking sign,the worst part is that a Innova and a Honda city were parked right next to my activa (the reason i parked there in the first place).

will the 15 day time period apply for towing too? and what about fines for not wearing helmet?
Old 24th June 2009, 10:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
the other day, my activa that was parket on the sadashivnagar footpath was towed for parking inspite of no parking sign,the worst part is that a Innova and a Honda city were parked right next to my activa (the reason i parked there in the first place).

will the 15 day time period apply for towing too? and what about fines for not wearing helmet?
Guru - No it doesn't apply for towing. Also If someone else breaks the rules it doesn't mean you should also break it.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ooops! am I missing something here ?
Parked inspite of a no parking sign calls for towing.
So whats so surprising about it ?
No offences, but purely curious.
Old 24th June 2009, 12:49   #21
BHPian

Here you go, the list of charges for traffic violations in Bangalore/Karnataka..

Notice the charges for a "DEFECTIVE SILENCER" is only Rs 100/-. Some of my friends have been charged Rs.3000/- for it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI-finelist.jpg  

Old 24th June 2009, 12:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
Here is a piece of information that could help atleast some people with all the right documents. This is in Karnataka, Check in your state also.

Jagran CityPlus
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[
Suresh.
I always used to think that there are illogical rules like if i donot have an copy of RC at the moment i am caught, that doesnot mean that i never registered the vehicle.

Now with the grace of RTI, we are all realizing, it was never the rules but the corruption laced implementation.
Old 24th June 2009, 13:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
my activa that was parket on the sadashivnagar footpath was towed for parking inspite of no parking sign,the worst part is that a Innova and a Honda city were parked right next to my activa (the reason i parked there in the first place).
This reminds me of an incident when I was in Baroda.One of my friend, who had borrowed my Kinetic, parked it outside a building right in front of the parking sign with other cars also parked there.
When he came back he was shocked to see the Kinetic missing but all other cars still parked there.He assumed it must have been stolen but soon found out from nearby shops that the traffic cops had taken it.
He reached the the place where they took all the towed vehicles & asked the policeman how could they take away his vehicle for a no-parking violation when it was parked right in front of the parking sign & why no other vehicle was touched except his.The policeman very calmly told him to go & check the parking sign as this parking was only meant for cars & not for two wheelers & so no cars were touched.
Then they asked him to show the papers ,pay the fine & take his vehicle.He told them its my friend's vehicle & he doesn't have any papers.Then they simply asked him to describe the vehicle colour & type(he didn't even remember the Regn. number) & after matching the description & paying the fine they simply handed over the vehicle to him.
And yes ,my friend did check out that particular parking sign after this & it did mention 'for cars only' though in very small letters below the parking sign.
Old 24th June 2009, 13:43   #24
BHPian

Nice article. I have also taken 2 printouts of it.

But I will use this to argue with them only when I have ample time with me. If we are in a hurry, then we will end up frustrated and wasting time.

And is there anything like - The police should prove that you were overspeeding or committing the offence? Coz most of the time, they add violations which you haven't done. So what do we do in this case? Call the Asst Commissioner? Poor guy- he'll be flooded with calls in this case.
Old 24th June 2009, 13:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post

But I will use this to argue with them only when I have ample time with me. If we are in a hurry, then we will end up frustrated and wasting time.
Good point, one should be caught on weekends to argue on these points . On weekdays, rush hour, running late to office, most of the populace will pull a 100 Rs bill and move off.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 24th June 2009 at 13:48.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Read the article yesterday and got a chance to apply part of it today. A cop stopped me and asked for the papers of my car. Now I have a HR registered car and no KA road tax, also my pollution cert expired last week and I just forgot to renew it.
This guy says 2400 for no Tax and 600 for no pollution so total fine 3K. Told him straight that as per the law he cant add two fines so there is no way I am gonna pay him 3K.
He gave me a very sheepish smile, then said ok 2400 for not having paid the KA road tax.
I told him no ways, by this time he had 3-4 people around us waiting to have their papers checked as he had stopped them as well.
He then says ok 1K, I unfortunately only had 1 500 note and rest 1000 Rs notes so was stuck. So I tell him, ok take 500, gimme back my papers and let us just end it here as I had a meeting and was getting late. He tried to bargain again but I was adamant so he just takes Rs500 and gives me back my papers.

Road tax for KA registration (as per the RTO guys I spoke to time and time again) - approx 40,000 lifetime.

Total chalans paid in 3 years including today - Rs800
Total savings till date - 39,200

Look on the cops face today when I told him he cant combine fines - Priceless

Lesson learnt: Carry smaller denomination notes.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:33   #27
BANNED

Some more info...

Hi,
I came across this article which could be very helpful to all of us from Bangalore or driving/riding down to Bangalore . I m pasting it below for the benefit of all viewers.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']If you are getting caught quite often by Bangalore's traffic police, then this will be the article you cannot miss out on. From now onwards, the Traffic Police cannot catch a motorist just to examine the driving license or vehicle documents. He can catch you only if you have violated any traffic laws or if you are driving drunk.
Remember that when caught for traffic violation, the fine you pay must be limited to the violation. In other words, the police can't bloat the bill saying that you have no insurance cover or emission certificate, etc.
Many motorists do not know this.
According to the State's Road Transportation Act, no policeman can slap a penalty on you just because you have no insurance or emission certificate. If you have not purchased insurance cover for your vehicle, then the police officer must issue a notice, not impose penalty. You must be given 15 days' time to purchase insurance cover and one week for obtaining the emission certificate. Days later, meet the sub-inspector at his station with the insurance cover or emission certificate, so that he will annul the charge at once.
Police can fine you only if you fail to produce these documents within the stipulated period. If your vehicle is brand new, then you need not bother about obtaining the emission certificate for one full year.
In response to a question as to why policemen fine people instantly without giving them time to obtain insurance cover or emission certificate, Additional Commissioner for Traffic Praveen Sood said, "Yes, it is a mistake. People must force policemen to issue notice or complain to me at least the following day. I have suspended the Indiranagar sub-inspector for catching people for silly reasons," he said.
The best way to teach the police a lesson is filing a written complaint with their higher officials and, a week later, using the Right to Information Act (RTI) to know the action taken against them.
Remember, any question or application filed under RTI cannot be ignored and no official is bold enough to ignore the RTI Act.
Contact Number:
Praveen Sood (Additional Commissioner for Traffic) - 080-22942276.[/FONT]

The source for this article is:
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']http://www.jagrancityplus.com/Utilities.aspx?articleid=14403&catgid=24&cityid=11 &Bool=h[/FONT][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']

Hope it helps us all.
[/FONT]
Old 24th June 2009, 16:35   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
So I tell him, ok take 500, gimme back my papers and let us just end it here as I had a meeting and was getting late. He tried to bargain again but I was adamant so he just takes Rs500 and gives me back my papers.
So you are encouraging corruption.
I was caught for entering a one way road recently. The cop said there are two signs saying "No Entry". I just said "OK, I didn't see them, my mistake, how much is the fine?" He was shocked as almost everyone argues that there was no sign. Then he just said "OK you can go, next time you will have to pay a fine."
So in your case - Corruption - Rs.500/- spent.
My case - Honesty - Rs.0/- spent
Furious55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2009, 17:11   #29
BHPian

The official does not concur this info

Check out this link:
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/
Particularly this section:

Section 158: Any person driving a motor vehicle in any public place, shall, on being required by a Police Officer in uniform, produce:

certificate of Insurance
certificate of registration
driving license
in case of transport vehicles, also the certificate of fitness and the permit

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th June 2013 at 08:28. Reason: link updated
Old 24th June 2009, 17:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Read the article yesterday and got a chance to apply part of it today. A cop stopped me and asked for the papers of my car. Now I have a HR registered car and no KA road tax, also my pollution cert expired last week and I just forgot to renew it.
This guy says 2400 for no Tax and 600 for no pollution so total fine 3K. Told him straight that as per the law he cant add two fines so there is no way I am gonna pay him 3K.
He gave me a very sheepish smile, then said ok 2400 for not having paid the KA road tax.
I told him no ways, by this time he had 3-4 people around us waiting to have their papers checked as he had stopped them as well.
He then says ok 1K, I unfortunately only had 1 500 note and rest 1000 Rs notes so was stuck. So I tell him, ok take 500, gimme back my papers and let us just end it here as I had a meeting and was getting late. He tried to bargain again but I was adamant so he just takes Rs500 and gives me back my papers.

Road tax for KA registration (as per the RTO guys I spoke to time and time again) - approx 40,000 lifetime.

Total chalans paid in 3 years including today - Rs800
Total savings till date - 39,200

Look on the cops face today when I told him he cant combine fines - Priceless

Lesson learnt: Carry smaller denomination notes.
So, technically you're quite happy to continue being in violation of the law by bribing every cop that stops you, which is perpetuation of corruption. Hmmm...Is it just me or does anyone else find this incredible? C'mon man, you want the system to change, then you've got to do your bit don't you think? Wearing your act of bribery as a badge of honour and disguising it as a "saving" is hardly a matter of pride.

Most Viewed