Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 17:57   #61
BHPian

Is this still in practice in banglore ? Offlate I see cops stopping ppl to check their documents. Infact I myself was stopped near majestic last week and checked for license and other papers.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:48   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
In a way, cant really blame them. I dont know how they can run their house given consumerism and inflation in todays day and age
I beg to differ. They are supposed to do their job Period.
And their job is not to "hustle" money from the common man.

If its a car the minimum rate quoted by the infamous chennai cops are north of Rs.1000/-

I pay my taxes, I follow the rules. So I don't fancy being harassed by a cop for no reason just for meeting "his" target. Cops have no right to treat a motorist like a criminal and that is exactly what they do here. If you have family with you they figure you will pay up. Its an utter shame.

These so called law enforcers should be setting an example for others now they are acting worse than a street thug.
Old 18th August 2010, 20:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Is this still in practice in banglore ? Offlate I see cops stopping ppl to check their documents. Infact I myself was stopped near majestic last week and checked for license and other papers.
I was stopped near Cox Town circle for a random document check.

My Emission certificate had expired. He asked me to pay of fine of RS300.

Went and pleaded with the SI who was present. He was surprisingly friendly, asked what i did and let me go asking me get the PUC done ASAP.

Guess not all cops share the same traits.
Old 18th August 2010, 22:43   #64
BHPian

I got a challan few days back at Banashankari. It read something like

Vehicle type: car
"Driving without helmet."

I was driving a car, not any 2 wheelers.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:20   #65
BHPian

I got a chellan saying driving without helmet at 9.30PM on 2009 Dec 23.
I was at my home at that time.
It was reflected on the Bangalore traffic police website also.
I never used to drive without helmet.
Is there any way we can get the details or proof of this?

Last edited by devil_klm : 19th August 2010 at 10:22.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:31   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
I was stopped near Cox Town circle for a random document check.

My Emission certificate had expired. He asked me to pay of fine of RS300.

Went and pleaded with the SI who was present. He was surprisingly friendly, asked what i did and let me go asking me get the PUC done ASAP.

Guess not all cops share the same traits.
Maybe the cop had read this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...uc-papers.html

Or its getting enforced in Bangalore as well.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Maybe the cop had read this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...uc-papers.html

Or its getting enforced in Bangalore as well.
I know the Traffic Cops are not supposed to penalize you for not having the PUC but one would expect them to wring you out to get money.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
I got a chellan saying driving without helmet at 9.30PM on 2009 Dec 23.
I was at my home at that time.
It was reflected on the Bangalore traffic police website also.
I never used to drive without helmet.
Is there any way we can get the details or proof of this?

Can you proove, if required, that you were at home at that time?

It may be some mistake while noting the number of other vehicle?

Or was any one driving your vehicle?

Or is there any one else in the city with the fraud number plate?
Old 19th August 2010, 15:20   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
BTW Traffic Cops have their own way of weaving their web around the rules. I was once caught for violating a no entry sign (I must admit that I did this knowingly, but not any longer). When the cop caught me, he asked for a bribe. I refused and said I would pay the official fine (Rs. 100/- for violating the no-entry sign). To my surprise, he slapped a fine of Rs. 300/- with three charges - Violating a no entry sign, Rash driving and Overspeeding (when I was positively under 20KMPH, come on this is BLR gallis that I talk off, u cannot drive over 20KMPH here without breaking ur back on a scooter).

Anyways, there was no way I could challenge the fine, how do I prove someone that the charge is false and the office was corrupt? Had to walk off, just happy to not contribute to the corruption in the system.

Am sure they will have their own way of finding loopholes in this rule and they will continue their ways.
well done on paying the fine. i guess that is a premium you pay for fighting corruption. sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I always used to think that there are illogical rules like if i donot have an copy of RC at the moment i am caught, that doesnot mean that i never registered the vehicle.

Now with the grace of RTI, we are all realizing, it was never the rules but the corruption laced implementation.
ive had an incident when i had to leave the vehicle with the cop and go home to get the rc. but this was way back in 1995. not sure these rules existed back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
So you are encouraging corruption.
I was caught for entering a one way road recently. The cop said there are two signs saying "No Entry". I just said "OK, I didn't see them, my mistake, how much is the fine?" He was shocked as almost everyone argues that there was no sign. Then he just said "OK you can go, next time you will have to pay a fine."
So in your case - Corruption - Rs.500/- spent.
My case - Honesty - Rs.0/- spent
Wow. that must have been 1 honest cop. A rarity

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 17:10. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Can you proove, if required, that you were at home at that time?

It may be some mistake while noting the number of other vehicle?

Or was any one driving your vehicle?

Or is there any one else in the city with the fraud number plate?
Sure I can.
Bike was at my parking area at that time
Only 2 possibilities.
Either some mistake happened while noting the number
Or some other vehicle with fraud number plate.
One of my colleague got fined for over speed.
It was through the interceptor vehicle.
He asked for the proof and they had given a print out of the same with the speed of vehicle.

The fines for traffic violations can sometimes be a double whammy when one gets ticketed wrongly. The fact that, in most cases, tickets get issued, based on vehicle numbers that are simply jotten down by cops and not based on a photo evidence, leaves ample room for manual errors. I happened to be at the receiving end of one where I was asked to cough up for something I was never involved in!
And adding to the misery, not knowing the local language, makes any attempt at arguing just futile and tyrannic.
'the horror.. the horror'

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2010 at 18:42. Reason: Removing font tags, please Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 21:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI

Today, got caught near Charni Road.

Offense - Taking the mobile phone out and connecting it to the USB in the car. The cop was riding the bike behind with his partner and he asked me to pull over.

Asked for 2200 RUPEES. YES YOU READ IT RIGHT 2200 RUPEES.

Said, car had light tints, Number plate has letters in a little different font.

I told him to prove it that I was talking on the mobile phone as my call log would show and even a call to Idea Cellular would confirm that no calls were made or received at the time. Started threatening me with court bla bla.

Told him a sorry to just end the matter but he would not budge and kept demanding 2200 Rs, after sometime came to 1200 and then 600.

NO WAY in my life I am paying 600 rupees.

The fine for tints - 100 rupees for which they need to give you 15 days to remove it

Fine for wrong number plate - 100 rupees for which they need to give you 15 days to remove it.

Got super pissed because of his tone and attitude, infact he took my license and scooted talking to me rudely all the while, they think they are some bhai's and can get away with anything. That very moment vowed to make his life miserable for being a crook.

Instantly called the Traffic Police Helpline and logged a complain. The cop on the other side was aghast at the demand of 2200 rupees. He instantly directed me to go to the SI of the Chowki tomorrow morning where this cop would have deposited my license.

I am planning to make life HELL for this dude and get him suspended even.
humyum is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 13:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Great!! Good going. Keep us posted on what happens.

Can anyone share the Traffic Police Helpline number? The one I have does not seem to connect or always comes busy.
Old 6th June 2013, 13:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Today, got caught near Charni Road.
Instantly called the Traffic Police Helpline and logged a complain. The cop on the other side was aghast at the demand of 2200 rupees. He instantly directed me to go to the SI of the Chowki tomorrow morning where this cop would have deposited my license.

What's the helpline number?
Old 6th June 2013, 15:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got super pissed because of his tone and attitude, infact he took my license and scooted talking to me rudely all the while, they think they are some bhai's and can get away with anything. That very moment vowed to make his life miserable for being a crook.

Suspension is a very mild punishment. TERMINATION of services is sorely required in case of public servants. Only this will keep a check on their cheekiness.

Perhaps we all should write to our newspapers demanding for a rule to allow termination of public servants.

Imagine if this was a private organization, he would've been asked to leave immediately ...
Old 6th June 2013, 16:03   #75
BHPian

Quote:
He instantly directed me to go to the SI of the Chowki tomorrow morning where this cop would have deposited my license.

Did you get the license back?

Most Viewed