Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2015, 20:31   #121
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic Police - A Wonderful Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
I wish if every Cop was as humble as the guy you quoted about. These blokes in Kerala are furious towards every biker in town and even responsible riders get a mouthful from them .
I am not defending the police here, but the bikers in trivandrum are a separate breed indeed! Pardon the generalization, but the bikers are trained to do all kinds of things that inconvenience the other road users, 2 & 4 wheelers and pedestrians included ! If you see the antics of them on the main roads of Trivandrum, you will not have any sympathy left for them.
PS: I am riding bike from 1993 onwards before becoming a late convert to four wheels in 2009.
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:38   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Never Back Down !

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
My encounters with the traffic police continue. My nature of not letting anyone run over me or my friends makes these things a matter of justice for me.
Just read this post, so thought I'll share my experience. 2 years ago, my Vespa was towed from a road near Vashi railway station. Apparently, they said I had parked in front of a '50m no parking' sign. Luckily for me, I had taken a pic when I parked and the police (towing) people had scribbled in chalk on the road in the same spot. I went to chowky armed with photos and said kindly explain yourself.

SAHIB - " fine lagega + towing charges. Bharo and bike leke jao. " (Fine applicable along with towing charges> Pay up and take your bike.

~Translated in English~

ME - Why dont you see the pictures that I have and sort it out ?

SAHIB - NO can do, pay up. No other option.

ME- May I know your name pls ?

SAHIB - why ? but its XYZ.

ME - I dial up 100 and said " I'd like to report a vehicle theft in progress .."

Now the Sahib is worries and gets up from his chair and tells me to disconnect the call. I tell his name on the phone and location of police chowky ( Under the Vashi Flyover). The operator on phone is confused but he says to wait as he's sending over a police guy.

5 mins later another police guy comes and he seems a bit professional. I show him the evidence and he knows i'm correct. But the SAHIB is still not satisfies and tell him that theres the 50m no parking sign and I have to pay fine. A small crowd has gathered by now. Finally someone comes up with a tape measure and the SAHIB, towing guys, new police guy and I reach the said sign. The chalk mark is still visible. the towing guys start to measure from the sign board and when they read the chalk mark, distance is 52.XXm ! This was more than enough for the police guy. He said you can settle up now, or we can take this to police station.

SAHIB is now worried and tells me to take bike and go. I asked him for some compensation. I started from 10,000 and we finally settled it for Rs 300 Reluctantly he gave me 300 bucks and we went our way .
blackwasp is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 00:29   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Never Back Down !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
SAHIB is now worried and tells me to take bike and go. I asked him for some compensation. I started from 10,000 and we finally settled it for Rs 300 Reluctantly he gave me 300 bucks and we went our way .
Wow, you got money from the sahib! Bloody hell, that's the first time I am hearing this. Congrats for sticking to your grounds firmly, and having presence of mind to click photo of the parked scooter.
ani_meher is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 13:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI

Video on how not to deal with a cop. Better sense prevailed in the end.

Old 22nd November 2017, 11:34   #125
BHPian

Here is another version, the violation was captured on video

Old 22nd November 2017, 12:06   #126
Oxy
BHPian

Ok I just ran a search on the BTP website with my vehicle number and found 5 violations. 4 of these are for Jumping the Signal (fine Rs.100 each) and one is Dangerous Driving (fine Rs.400). The offenses are dated Nov/Dec 2016 and Jan 2017, and I don't have any proofs which can vouch for my innocence.

I am sure all of these are random as both me and my wife are very sedate drivers and follow traffic rules.

I know the first step would be to ask for proofs from the traffic police, which I am sure they won't have. But if they are adamant then how to deal with them? I have zero experience dealing with the cops.

Also, does any of this offense amount to license cancellation?

Last edited by Oxy : 22nd November 2017 at 12:10.

Most Viewed